How do you deal with fecal incontinence?
Post a reply

how do you get through the day with increased frequency

Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:13 pm

Hello everyone,
Since I got home this past week we've been going out for meals at friends and relatives houses just to meet everyone and because of this I've been having a lot more accidents and sometimes bigger accidents.
It's really affects my while day sometimes.....
Anyway I've been skipping meals to reduce how much bowels I might produce and it's actually gone nearly back to normal.
Just wondering if how everyone else deals with situations like this, I don't have loose stool or diarrhea and I understand that for some people it can be a lot worse.

Re: how do you get through the day with increased frequency

Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:13 pm

Mia,

Yes, a change of diet often will produce increased fecal accidents. I have to be very careful when travelling.

When I have a bowel accident it usually is a full-void of loose stool or diarrhea. It is impossible to hide that and leaks are more likely than with an accident of solid stool. That is partly the reason why I opted to use enemas as a means to manage my fecal incontinence. I understand why enemas are not a viable option for you.

Be careful about skipping too many meals. Although, in my case it might help reduce my waistline. :D

--John

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:05 pm

JDinVirginia wrote:Be careful about skipping too many meals. Although, in my case it might help reduce my waistline. :D

--John

Yeah I'm not planning on doing any extensive meal skipping, I usually would never do something like it but it really helped not having to go through too many diapers a day, and having diapers fill too much.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Skipping meals can do terrible things to your metabolism. I try to limit or reduce my fiber intake. A salad can give me intense nausea and stomach cramps, but too little or no fiber can cause a painful blockage. I have medications for this; however, I do not recall reading that you use them. Adjusting your fluid/fiber intake may be more complex than skipping a meal, but it will be easier on your system. None of your friends here want to read that you are being treated for anorexia.

Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:43 pm

I think Patrick gives sound advice. I would recommend increasing fluids and fiber in your diet to have more regular bowel movements. Have you thought about taking a probiotic? Maybe that would help. My gastroenterologist recommended Align. It's kinda expensive though.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:24 pm

JDinVirginia wrote:Mia,

Yes, a change of diet often will produce increased fecal accidents. I have to be very careful when travelling.

When I have a bowel accident it usually is a full-void of loose stool or diarrhea. It is impossible to hide that and leaks are more likely than with an accident of solid stool. That is partly the reason why I opted to use enemas as a means to manage my fecal incontinence. I understand why enemas are not a viable option for you.

Be careful about skipping too many meals. Although, in my case it might help reduce my waistline. :D

--John

I'm sure your waist line is fine! :D

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Guys don't get alarmed, I just skipped for a little while, I'm not planning to doing it regularly. It's just that last week with the amount of bowel accidents I had I just couldn't cope. I'm fine now and I'm not going to be skipping meals regularly :p

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:03 pm

When I was younger I used to take some medications to give a little ease, eventually I just felt like I want to go pill free....I manage really well without any, it's just uncommon situations like this which I need to watch out for. Thing is when there's good food I can't go easy :p, and because I'm swimming regularly it's so easy to eat a lot and not put on too much.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Since forever it seems ,I have 4 to 6 BM's a day. I rarely soil at night but do on occasion. Ever since I added 3 doses of Metamucil a day I no longer suffer from loose stool but the volume and frequency wears me down. I wear good protection and use Desitin and Nullo. I hate the nightmare of a public change so will wait until I get home for a proper change and shower. Yes, it sucks walking around in a full diaper but the thought of a public change is worse. I will change if I absolutely have to but I will avoid it if I can. I've experienced severe urgency for 20 plus years and while one never gets comfortable in a messy diaper, you do what you have to do. I experimented with various diaper combinations over the years and have settled on a disposable (mostly a comfidry 24/7) under a cloth pull-up with plastic pants. This affords me with plenty of capacity and comfort. It is a lot of diaper I will admit, but through the years I've found it to work for me. I'm pretty regular but the urgency is so strong I have no choice but touse the diaper. I have fairly good bladder control but it's to much of an inconvenience to remove my diapers just to pee. At home I will make the effort to use the bathroom but I often don't make it in time. When I'm pretty sure I'm empty I will "air out" to give my skin a break. Fequency is just part of life for me. Am I used to it? I don't think you ever get used to it. But you learn how to deal with it.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm in agreement on a lot of that, jack or I'm in the same boat. I have to air out more. Not that I've noticed any issue but I think that would be beneficial. At my life airing out is fairly easy. I'm single and live alone. I'm sure once that changes it can be a little harder to find time to do that. I can truly just do it whenever. After a shower and sit on a diaper or put a diaper over my penis, sit at my computer, etc. so I guess I should be thankful for my youth in that category.
Post a reply