www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dealing with loose stool
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:15 am 

So today morning I woke up while having a bad bowel accident.... It was really loose, it wasn't like a bad diarrhea but it was very loose..... Add the diaper was already full from a previous bowel accident during my sleep so it wasn't a pleasent experience cleaning up and changing. Does anyone have any special way of dealing with these? It's not regular for me to have loose stool, actually it's pretty rare, but still.... It would be good to know how to deal with it if and when I have bad stomach days.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:13 am 
Admin

Hi Mia. I use adult washcloths (wipes) from Walgreens. They are large and can wipe a lot of skin. I wear gloves. I bought a box of like 150. They are sold at any drug store for like $15. Mine last me a long time. Diarrhea is very harsh on the skin. I use a lot of A&D barrier cream. I believe you mentioned you use confidry. I do the same. I also wear the Gary activewear PUL covers. I also have frequent diarrhea. Sometimes it's a little and other times, it's a lot. I try to change after the first bowel accident and not have repeat episodes in the same diaper. I've done that before and it makes me nervous. If something does leak out, I rely on the PUL cover to catch it. Sometimes, I'll have bowel accidents in my car. I hate having diarrhea accidents sitting down. It can travel up the back of the diaper and come out the back. All I can really say about that is try to have your accident standing. I know it can't be helped sometimes. Chronic diarrhea incontinence is a rough gig.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:38 am 

While rare for me, when I have a bowel accident it's usually because I have loose stool that my weakened muscles back there can't hold back as easily.

When it does happen I usually have to use a LOT of wipes followed by cream/powder, or take a quick shower. Either way, cleanup can take five plus minutes for me too.

Edit, I should also say a really good way I've found to avoid loose stools is to stay away from processed foods (obviously). More importantly though and also periodically drink something called Keifer. It's a cultured milk/yogurt sort of drink, and is packed with a bunch of probiotics. I find this always helps my digestive tract, especially after taking a round of antibiotics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:38 pm 

I also have accidents from loose stools and use adult-size wipes (it takes quite a few). Then, depending on how bad the accident was, I use either a wet washcloth or wash from my waist down with a handheld shower head. Like Don, I always use a barrier cream, in my case Desitin (with zinc oxide). Wearing the barrier cream I never have a rash after a bowel accident, even when I cannot immediately change. :D For my diaper I use ConfiDry 24/7 with a booster pad and Gary Activewear PUL pants.

And boy do I ever agree with Don about hating "stuff" traveling up the back of the diaper and over the waistband. :(

--John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:11 pm 

Thanks for all the advice, definitely try and get some bigger wipes in case, like I said this is a rare occurrence, but it's so overwhelming when I do, unfortunately because I don't get any feeling I realize I'm having an accident too late to do anything, so if I'm sitting down most of the time I've already had the accident.
Despite my regular accidents being very large I've managed to avoid any leaking up from the back, though it's pretty unpleasent when your in a full diaper >.< I also use Gary active wear for the night so avoiding leaks are sort of covered that way, definitely take a shower cause I feel so bad after having an accident like that.

Because I don't easily get diarrhea I don't look out too much of what I eat, I don't think this will prolong but if it does maybe I'll keep watch of whatever I eat,
Since the last week I've been having more accidents and I'm kind of fedup of cleaning up and changing so often.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:36 pm 

I've had severe bowel urgency for 20 plus years and am used to being in a soiled diaper. Never pleasant but it is what it is. After a bowel resection (removal of a foot of descending colon due to diverticulitis) I began experiencing the severe urgency. I was told that it should go away in time. Ha! In the beginning it was always very loose. A real nightmare. I was told to use a bulk producing fiber supplement and it did work wonders. It didn't help with the urgency but it did "firm" things up. It did however, increase frequency and volume. Not a perfect solution but much better than loose stool. When I know I'll be out for a good part of the day I'll use loperamide. This seems to work quite well although when I do have a BM it's twice as big as normal. I prefer cloth diapers (Kins model 10700 cloth pull-up diaper) over a disposable. I know it sounds like a lot of diaper and it is. But after 20 years I know what works and what doesn't. I also use Nullo deodorant pills, Desitin (zinc oxide) ointment for rashes and heavy gauge plastic pants. I dress accordingly and one would never know if I'm wearing a soiled diaper. No, it's not easy. In fact, it's a major inconvenience. But there's not much I can do about it. I currently take 3 doses of Metamucil a day with the occasional loperamide. Firm stool (yay!).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:55 pm 

jack329 wrote:
I've had severe bowel urgency for 20 plus years and am used to being in a soiled diaper. Never pleasant but it is what it is. After a bowel resection (removal of a foot of descending colon due to diverticulitis) I began experiencing the severe urgency. I was told that it should go away in time. Ha! In the beginning it was always very loose. A real nightmare. I was told to use a bulk producing fiber supplement and it did work wonders. It didn't help with the urgency but it did "firm" things up. It did however, increase frequency and volume. Not a perfect solution but much better than loose stool. When I know I'll be out for a good part of the day I'll use loperamide. This seems to work quite well although when I do have a BM it's twice as big as normal. I prefer cloth diapers (Kins model 10700 cloth pull-up diaper) over a disposable. I know it sounds like a lot of diaper and it is. But after 20 years I know what works and what doesn't. I also use Nullo deodorant pills, Desitin (zinc oxide) ointment for rashes and heavy gauge plastic pants. I dress accordingly and one would never know if I'm wearing a soiled diaper. No, it's not easy. In fact, it's a major inconvenience. But there's not much I can do about it. I currently take 3 doses of Metamucil a day with the occasional loperamide. Firm stool (yay!).

I hear you, loose stool should be avoided any day. I'm a little lucky I don't get loose stool very often... For me colth diapers would be a little hard to manage. My bowel accidents are so unpredictable and i have so many taking so many cloth diapers around would be hard. Also my bladder incontinence is very heavy so I don't want to be in a really thick cloth diaper.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:37 pm 

I usually only deal with urge incontinence but sometimes if bowel,es are loose will have a bad accident glad it is just some of the time what a mess.I,am going on a plane trip soon hope no flare ups.