www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:00 pm 

One problem with oriental food is that, in some instances, the cooks use MSG (monosodium glutamate), which can cause diarrhea in susceptible individuals. Folks who are allergic to MSG and have difficulty with bowel control are at a special disadvantage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:57 pm 

On the subject of nighttime bowel accidents, it does happen to me, but fortunately very infrequently.

It seems that several of us are satisfied with the SoSecure swim diaper. Although there are several brands of swim diapers available, perhaps the best rated (and the one I personally wear) is the SoSecure swim containment diaper (fecal containment diaper), intended to be worn under swimwear. :D

The SoSecure attaches snugly via very strong Velcro in the wings. Although it is neither advertised nor intended to contain urine, it will contain a small amount effectively. I usually get some pool water inside the SoSecure swim diaper. When I do, as I am coming out of the pool I actually have to break the seal at the leg holes to let the excess water out. A problem could be that, with some pool water getting inside the diaper, along with some urine, a more substantial amount of liquid eventually will have to be released somewhere - a shower in the changing room would be my recommendation. Please note that, to work effectively, the SoSecure swim diaper must be worn fairly tight - somewhat more than snug.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:09 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:
On the subject of nighttime bowel accidents, it does happen to me, but fortunately very infrequently.

It seems that several of us are satisfied with the SoSecure swim diaper. Although there are several brands of swim diapers available, perhaps the best rated (and the one I personally wear) is the SoSecure swim containment diaper (fecal containment diaper), intended to be worn under swimwear. :D

The SoSecure attaches snugly via very strong Velcro in the wings. Although it is neither advertised nor intended to contain urine, it will contain a small amount effectively. I usually get some pool water inside the SoSecure swim diaper. When I do, as I am coming out of the pool I actually have to break the seal at the leg holes to let the excess water out. A problem could be that, with some pool water getting inside the diaper, along with some urine, a more substantial amount of liquid eventually will have to be released somewhere - a shower in the changing room would be my recommendation. Please note that, to work effectively, the SoSecure swim diaper must be worn fairly tight - somewhat more than snug.

--John

For me it's just hard to imagine that filling up a diaper with a big bowel accident would wake you up, when I'm awake during the day as soon as it starts to fill the diaper I realize it. Even though I don't feel it paying or get any urge I will definitely feel it filling up.

The sosecures do fill up with a little bit of water for me because I do a little strenuous swimming. But not enough to cause any problems. Like JD said it needs to be tight, really tight to be secure enough.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:23 pm 

[/quote]The sosecures do fill up with a little bit of water for me because I do a little strenuous swimming. But not enough to cause any problems. Like JD said it needs to be tight, really tight to be secure enough.[/quote]

I think this might be where my problem lies. I was on my high school swim team so when I swim I am diving, switching up through a lot of different strokes, and even swimming underwater with also using flip turns. Either that or enjoying a day at a water park. With all of this, it doesn't seem to matter how tight I have it secured, it will balloon up and absolutely is enough to create a very noticeable drag. Plus when getting out and breaking that leg seal I will drain a good half gallon or more (no kidding, literally).

Though like you've mentioned, I had noticed as long as I take it really, really easy and don't move around or bend forward too much then it doesn't leak too much either. This just seems counter intuitive to me though. Swimming is supposed to get you moving and working out.

ps, I don't swim in the ocean. Here in Florida that is just stupid with the amount of shallow water sharks we have.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:51 pm 

I was wondering whether anyone has experienced having several bowel accidents in the night and not waking up for it. In the past I've experienced waking up to a really really full diaper and it's a little hard to wrap your head around the fact that filling up a diaper like that didn't wake you up. Although this is pretty rare it can still happen,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:35 pm 
Admin

I don't get that at night (thank goodness). Occasionally, I do wake up soaked though in a urine filled diaper to max capacity. That's a confidry with an Abena booster. Frequently it gets in my bed (although I have a waterproof cover) and I wake up in the morning soaked to my chest. When this happens, I don't wake up until morning. Something similar may be happening to you. I take medication that puts me to sleep and I am out all night. During the day, I sometimes soil myself with no discomfort. It comes out of nowhere and just leaks out uncontrollable. Almost like passing wind but it's stool instead. If your in a deep sleep, you may not wake up if you have no feeling down there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:34 pm 

Don wrote:
I don't get that at night (thank goodness). Occasionally, I do wake up soaked though in a urine filled diaper to max capacity. That's a confidry with an Abena booster. Frequently it gets in my bed (although I have a waterproof cover) and I wake up in the morning soaked to my chest. When this happens, I don't wake up until morning. Something similar may be happening to you. I take medication that puts me to sleep and I am out all night. During the day, I sometimes soil myself with no discomfort. It comes out of nowhere and just leaks out uncontrollable. Almost like passing wind but it's stool instead. If your in a deep sleep, you may not wake up if you have no feeling down there.

Well thing is I anyway always have a bowel accident in the night, on very rare occasions I'll wake up with not having had a bowel accident in to night but I can't even remember the last time that happened. I do have feeling down there but for some reason I don't feel it when asleep which I find kind of upsetting, especially if I'm having a really bad bowel accident the clean up is a challenge in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:17 am 
Admin

I'm sorry you're going through that. You may just be sleeping so deep you don't feel it, especially if you feel no discomfort. I have soiled myself in my sleep too but it's only an occasional event. If I get a lot of gastric pain, then I'll wake up. If there is nothing to tell me to get out of bed then I'll just go in my sleep. Cleanup always is a chore. I guess it just comes with the territory.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:22 am 

Don wrote:
I'm sorry you're going through that. You may just be sleeping so deep you don't feel it, especially if you feel no discomfort. I have soiled myself in my sleep too but it's only an occasional event. If I get a lot of gastric pain, then I'll wake up. If there is nothing to tell me to get out of bed then I'll just go in my sleep. Cleanup always is a chore. I guess it just comes with the territory.

I usually never get discomfort, or feel it passing,
During the day though I can feel it fill the diaper, weirdly enough there are times it takes some time to actually realize I'm going......

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:04 am 
Admin

I frequently don't feel a bowel event coming on, but I can feel it come out. I just can't do anything about it. If you can't feel the discomfort and you sometimes soil without knowing, then I could understand how you could sleep through it. Especially if you are a sound sleeper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next