www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:06 am 

I have intermittent feeling or sensation down there. So often I don't wake or notice if I have had a bowel event. I normally don't have them through the night. My husband does check on My breathing(vent) And blood pressure. At least once through the night. So if My brief is soiled its dealt with. Normally We use the Tranquility ATN briefs with a booster pad to get through the night. I have rarely had problems with wet or messy leaks. But I am on a incontinence bed pad as well. Which is as much for changes as for leaks. For Me it seems My bowels tend to empty just before or after soon after waking in the mornings. I hate it. For years we managed My bowel incontinence with a bowel program. I had far more issues with constipation. Bowel accidents were rare. Like seldom more then 2-3 times a month. But almost two years ago. After having so much trouble chewing and swallowing. I had to have a feeding tube. Especially for medication etc. Now constipation is the last problem. My bowels empty 2-3 times a day without warning. Sometimes more. Yuck. Hope this is not too graphic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:03 am 

Brandie wrote:
I have intermittent feeling or sensation down there. So often I don't wake or notice if I have had a bowel event. I normally don't have them through the night. My husband does check on My breathing(vent) And blood pressure. At least once through the night. So if My brief is soiled its dealt with. Normally We use the Tranquility ATN briefs with a booster pad to get through the night. I have rarely had problems with wet or messy leaks. But I am on a incontinence bed pad as well. Which is as much for changes as for leaks. For Me it seems My bowels tend to empty just before or after soon after waking in the mornings. I hate it. For years we managed My bowel incontinence with a bowel program. I had far more issues with constipation. Bowel accidents were rare. Like seldom more then 2-3 times a month. But almost two years ago. After having so much trouble chewing and swallowing. I had to have a feeding tube. Especially for medication etc. Now constipation is the last problem. My bowels empty 2-3 times a day without warning. Sometimes more. Yuck. Hope this is not too graphic.

I'm sorry you have to deal with so much, ice mostly been having 3 or 4 bowel accidents everyday, and usually always a bowel accident in my sleep so I understand how degrading and disgusting it feels. Bowel incontinence it's graphic so no need to apologize, I've experienced too much with it. For me it was hard because I would have it at risky random times and it would be so inconvenient, at school, during classes just when you really don't want it, and it disturbs you so much because you have to immediately go and change. Now that I'm in college it's no different but at least I know a little better how to deal with cleaning up and changing.

Morning clean ups have always been a really challenging thing to do, it's a terrible feeling when you wake up and find that your diaper is just full and wet .......I hate it......I really do understand the frustration.
It's kind of depressing to think that all my life I have never used a toilet at all, at least not on purpose.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:47 am 

It doesn't happen very often - usually only when I'm very tired. Usually, my awareness is enough to wake me up a little before it happens.

Sometimes it's enough that I can get to the toilet. Most of the time in life I just mess my diaper and deal with it, because I've had too many accidents where I wasted time wriggling out of my clothes and got all the way down to my diaper and then filled it, or, worse, gotten partially out of my diapers and then had an accident. However, when I get woken up knowing I'm about to mess, I usually try to make it to the toilet because I don't want to roll over, go back to sleep, and be in the same diaper for potentially another six or seven hours.

That said, if I wake up and I'm already messing, there is a good chance that I will just roll over and go back to sleep in full diapers. I'm a heavy sleeper and a lazy person.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:09 am 

SelfCareOrban wrote:
It doesn't happen very often - usually only when I'm very tired. Usually, my awareness is enough to wake me up a little before it happens.

Sometimes it's enough that I can get to the toilet. Most of the time in life I just mess my diaper and deal with it, because I've had too many accidents where I wasted time wriggling out of my clothes and got all the way down to my diaper and then filled it, or, worse, gotten partially out of my diapers and then had an accident. However, when I get woken up knowing I'm about to mess, I usually try to make it to the toilet because I don't want to roll over, go back to sleep, and be in the same diaper for potentially another six or seven hours.

That said, if I wake up and I'm already messing, there is a good chance that I will just roll over and go back to sleep in full diapers. I'm a heavy sleeper and a lazy person.

Yeah, for me there's no time to even react I'm already having an accident. Yeah it's really not good to stay in a bowel filled diaper, unfortunately for me it's not that I am a deep sleeper but I just don't wake up or feel it, I can wake up for a small noise but I can't wake up when I'm having a bowel accident. The wetting just makes it worse because I have to clean up and change in the morning...... It happens every day and I'll be really lucky if it doesn't.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:42 am 

Night time bowel accidents can be really discouraging. I used to use Ambien and slept through the night regardless. I've since switched to Temazepam which is a lot less harsh ( without the crippling hangover the Ambien caused). I would briefly awaken for a bowel accident but I was always drifting right back to sleep due to the meds. I would barely wake when the urgency hit, release and before I knew it was back to sleep. I agree, waking in a fully loaded diaper in the morning is such a drag. Knowing what I have a head of me is exhausting just to think of. I'm thankful that it doesn't happen every night. 3 to 4 times a week max. Which is more than enough for me. I also use Nullo and plastic pants to mitigate possible difficulties. It's hard enough dealing with a bowel accident in bed. The delay in clean-up isn't usually that bad because my accidents happen closer to the morning. But I find it near impossible to get up and effectively change when I'm half a sleep.Changing at 3 or 4 in the morning just makes for a really long day because I can hardly ever get back to sleep after a proper clean-up and shower. It is what it is I suppose and while it's hard to get used to I really haven't a choice. Just one of those things we have to deal with as best we can. At least my stool is firm and I thank God for that. I feel for those that always have loose stool while sleeping. Clean-ups are hard enough with out dealing with that nightmare.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:29 pm 

I have struggled with the same thing. I couldnt handle my old diapers because the minute they were used I would wake up. It was just so uncomfortable to have products that didn't work well. Once I found Hexa and Co it all changed! They have the best absorbency and I have slept so much better since using them. Here is their link if you are interested, http://try.hexanow.com/11223344/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:45 am 

My difficulties with bowel control are directly related to my paralyzed GI system. Although I do not hurt nearly as much as others who have this difficulty, there is still enough pain to prevent me from sleeping. Sometimes, when the pain strikes, I will have a BM almost immediately, with no time to seek out a toilet. This can happen at any time, day or night, which really puts my protection to the test. Going out in public has become an act of faith, faith in my protection. At night, I diaper up as heavily as possible, and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:24 pm 

Patrick wrote:
My difficulties with bowel control are directly related to my paralyzed GI system. Although I do not hurt nearly as much as others who have this difficulty, there is still enough pain to prevent me from sleeping. Sometimes, when the pain strikes, I will have a BM almost immediately, with no time to seek out a toilet. This can happen at any time, day or night, which really puts my protection to the test. Going out in public has become an act of faith, faith in my protection. At night, I diaper up as heavily as possible, and hope for the best.

I feel like waking up to it would be better for me since I sleep through it and end up having to wake up early morning every day to get changed because getting a rash can be a problem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:55 am 

When a bowel release does not disturb your sleep, diaper rash is an endless threat; however, abdominal pain that accompanies a bowel release can, after a few days, cause sleep deprivation, which can be equally devastating, because it threatens most activities, including driving.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:25 pm 

Well, just as in another post that I have just replied I would recommend training your kegels. You are in a state that you can hold off - not always the urge to defecate, but you are still feeling and you have at least a minimal control over it. That's a very good sign and this is the case when kegels actually may turn helpful, although this is pretty long process and before you will see any progress it will take some time. I have no chances of recovering and I wear diapers all the time, but even though I still train my kegels to stay healthy and more "fit" - it's more like a state of mind for me to keep doing those "good" things, but in your case they may be a tremendous help in the future if you start training them now. If you can still make it to the bathroom I would also advise against diapers, because once you start relying on them, it will be hard for you to stop - they are kind of addictive in this way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next