www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:46 pm 

Hi
Over the last year I've started waking up with feces in my diaper. One thing is that I poop at night, it's something I can handle. But today I pooped while I was at school. Lucky I had a "quality" diaper who handled it. But it was very embarrassing when I noticed it. I went straight home to change my diaper. The bus ride home felt like it took an eternity.

Do you have experience with faecal incontinence at school or work? Some tips for how to prepare myself for it happening again?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:08 am 

Fedrik,

I really feel for you. Combining work or school and bowel incontinence is rough. :(

Insofar as I know, there is no perfect solution and what works for one person may not for another.

Your main options include:
Selective use of loparamide (Imodium), but should not do this every day.
Use of fast-acting laxative suppositories before leaving for work (also should not do this every day)
Digital rectal stimulation to stimulate a BM before leaving for work (can do this every day)
Preemptive enemas before leaving for work (can do this every day but should check with your physician first)
Medical anal plugs for incontinence (can be used every day). Some do not tolerate the sensation of the foam plug.

Not really a solution, but internal deodorant pills such as Nullo can remove most to all fecal odor depending on your own chemistry and diet. The downside is that the higher doses necessary to remove almost all odor may cause significant constipation.

The stresses of fecal incontinence in the workplace may make some options acceptable to you that you otherwise might not choose.

The options above may not totally stop fecal accidents in the workplace, but should very markedly reduce them. As with most things involving incontinence, some experimentation will be necessary to find what works best for you.

I use daily morning enemas. These are old-fashioned red rubber bag enemas with soapsuds and saline (salt in the water). They are safe and always effective. I have self-administered over 3,000 without any problems. They have helped me go as long as 31 days without an accident.
I also use medical anal plugs, but not every day. They are extremely effective and avoid odor issues. If you use an anal plug you may be able to avoid wearing diapers.

If you have questions about any of these methods, please ask. :D Several here will be glad to offer excellent advice. Also, feel free to send me a PM.

--John
(double incontinent and wearing 24/7 - cloth at night)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:49 pm 

Although I second everything above, let me add something from my experience. Nullo works wonders for me; I have had bowel releases that my wife and by-standers were unaware of. The nature of my fecal incontinence is such that I may or may not know that an accident is about to happen. When I have a colon blockage, I cannot prevent diarrhea from leaking around it. I must hope that Nullo and my protection will save me, and, so far, they have. Other times I awaken having had a bowel release sometime during the night. When I must clean up a bowel release, I lie down on the bathroom floor in order to optimize the use of my protection and minimize the bathroom cleanup afterwards. On the advice of my gastroenterologist, I employ frequent enemas, although I do not use them as often as John does. However, an enema can still be leaking an hour or more later, which once again challenges my protection. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:08 pm 

Thanks for the good advice.

Do you also have any advice for good diapers for double incontinence? Both day and night use. I use tena slip maxi, but often have problems with leaks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:51 am 

When I need the protection of a premium disposable diaper, I use Abena and/or Molicare. Others here use Bambino, Confidry24/7, and others. Experiment to see what works best for you. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:04 pm 

Fredrik,

I would, and we all would be remiss if we didn't remind and urge you to see a doctor about this latest development, if you haven't done so already. I know its embarrassing, but they are there to help, and have seen/heard it all before. :)

Peace out and Merry Christmas!

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:55 am 

Fredrik,

Almost any premium diaper should be fine for double incontinence, but as Patrick has noted, you will need to experiment to find the one that is best for you. The most important things are good tall internal standing leak guards, slack space in the bottom of the diaper to provide room for feces, and a good fit for your personal shape. :D I use ConfiDry 24/7 as my main diaper, but also North Shore Care Supreme. If I need super absorbency I use ABU Simple. When I need a breathable diaper I use the Seni Quatro and Seni Super. All of these do fine for double incontinence.

Don't forget that if you have a bowel accident first and then pee, the fecal material will cover and clog much of your diaper's absorbent mat, making it much less effective for subsequent liquids. :(

Sociologygeek is quite correct in urging you to see your doctor. Any significant change in bowel habits merits a check with your physician.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:52 am 
Admin

I too deal with both bladder and fecal incontinence. I am disabled due to chronic health issues and do not currently work. This is a recent development. I tried for many years working several jobs and managed to get a bachelors degree. When I was working and/or going to school, I carried a small backpack with spare diapers, wipes (I use adult wipes/washcloths). I still carry said bag in my car as I run errands and such. I wear Dry 24/7's and an Abena abrilet booster along with a pul cover. It gets kinda bulky. But it's the level of protection I need due to my heavy incontinence. This combination usually allows me to perform my daily tasks without changing. This is all well and good until I have a bowel event. Then my bag comes in handy. At work or school I excuse myself, get my bag, which is always with me, and tend to my IC needs in the closest restroom. I can't help it. Incontinence is no less of a disability than other chronic health conditions. It's just something I have to deal with. With all my other conditions, incontinence is the least of my worries. I just put on a diaper and get on with life. I try not to worry about what others think. I'm sure my bag looks suspicious but what else can I do. I have to live my life. One cannot spend their life as a hermit hiding from society. That's what diapers are for. So we can get out and interact with other people, friends, loved ones without having to be embarrassed by something of which we have no control. So I don't worry about what other people think. I deserve to be happy too. And if that means carrying a backpack around full of diapers so I can function in society then so be it. Most people won't be rude. I've never had anyone ask what is in it. My attitude is let them wonder.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:42 pm 

That is one super attitude. I hope that your medical issues are under control, and that your health will improve enough to allow you to return to life off the disability rolls.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:20 pm 
Admin

I have Bipolar disorder. It is the medical treatment I have endured over the years that put me in diapers. There is no way to test it. The only way to prove it would be to take me off my medication and see if it clears up. Neither myself nor any of my doctors will allow that to happen. My illness is chronic and severe. I have developed this attitude after years of therapy. I try to think positive and ignore the negativity around me because that will only bring me down.