www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bowel problems
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:12 am 

Last night my sleep was interrupted by regurgitation, vomiting, and a bowel release. As I write this, my bedding is in the washer. Over the last six weeks or so my GI problems have gotten worse. As embarrassing as incontinence, especially bowel incontinence, is, for me incontinence is a life-threatening issue. Which has led to a squabble with my wife.

The most effective medication for this is erythromycin; no other medication works nearly as well, and only erythromycin prevents the asphyxiation which regurgitation causes. However, hurricane Maria destroyed the erythromycin factory in Puerto Rico, raising the cost, from other sources, to $736.00 for a month's supply. Consequently, my health insurance informed me that it would no longer subsidize this medication. My wife threatened me that if I did not spend the money, she would. Because I need this medication to keep me alive, I guess we'll probably go to a Canadian pharmacy. Just what I need: a week-long trip during which I could have a bowel accident at any moment.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Post subject: Re: bowel problems
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:08 am 

Patrick, that is terrible about your medication and insurance not covering it! I am at a loss for what to say.

At least you are not alone with the bowel problems. This week I suddenly pooped my diaper just as my wife and I were leaving a restaurant. Thankfully, we already were going out the door and no one was near me. Because of my use of daily enemas, such accidents now are very uncommon, but I have to bear in mind that they still can happen.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:28 pm 

Thanks for your support, JD. My insurance against a bowel accident is that I take Nullo every time I eat anything, and I watch for foods that cause unpleasant odor. I hope that bismuth subgallate will work as well. As with your restaurant incident, incontinence keeps us humble, not to say even mortified. The most dangerous thought for me is thinking that I have my incontinence under control.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 pm 

I’m sorry to hear about those troubles. My fecal incontinence always causes me the most stress and the most embarrassment and what I need to make most accommodations towards.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:08 am 

Sorry to hear of your problems all coming in one.... hope things settle down again soon!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:27 am 

Sorry to hear that Patrick. Hoping things work out for you and you get some resolution to the Erythromycin issue.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:43 pm 

All the best to you!
Your condition is already bad but having he price on your medication rise and losing the subsidy of the medication costs is really terrible. I hope all goes well and you get your medicine from Canada!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:56 pm 

Just a brief update:

I think the erythromycin factory in Puerto Rico must be back online, because it has been newly added to my insurance company's formulary. I did not have to go to Canada. I no longer have to sleep sitting up. Hooray! And thanks for your support.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:52 pm 

Patrick wrote:
Just a brief update:

I think the erythromycin factory in Puerto Rico must be back online, because it has been newly added to my insurance company's formulary. I did not have to go to Canada. I no longer have to sleep sitting up. Hooray! And thanks for your support.

Great to hear, Patrick!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:56 pm 
Admin

Patrick,

That's GREAT news. :D
Hope you will be able to actually sleep in your regular bed now. :D