www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:26 am 

I am a guy that works 17 hours a week and recieves ssdi. Therefore, I really don't like spending more money on diapers than I have to at this point. I am looking ways to cut costs. One thing I am considering Is wearing a less absorbent diaper during my long shift and changing more often. Has anyone with moderate to heavy incontinence used Seni Super Plus with good results? NOT Seni Quatro, but Seni Super Plus, the less absorbent Seni offered by XP Medical. It occured to me last night while I was at work that if I wore a lesser product and changed more often than that would be probably less expensive and easier on my skin. Right now, I use Beyond 5000 with a booster pad and don't change unless I get a 30 min lunch break. But something is irritating my inner thigs and I'm wondering if its overflow from the diaper and bits of urine not absorbed are gettin on my skin. Another thing I noticed is that If I go an entire shift without changing, my genitals smell like pee and its really strong and even after I washed them with shampoo they still gave off an odor. I am thinking that urine in the diaper came into contact with my skin after I had to sit down to drive home and that caused the urine smell. I want to stop these leg rashes, and I don't want to come home smelling like pee. I realize also that im not drinking enough water, because whenever I have a large episode my urine is an amber color. No doubt that urine of that variety is MUCH more irritating to the skin than your urine thats clear or pale yellow.

So, in short, I'm seeking advice. Right now, I don't change during my 15 minute break because of how much time it consumes. I have to make a choice as to whether I want to change my diaper or eat. I also suppose I could solve this problem by eating before I go to work and having a quick snack in the bathroom while changing... observing hand sanitation of coure.. id eat quick before changing. How about you all? Do any of you have less than ideal break times for changing? How do you work around it?

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:25 pm 

How about adding a male Guard Pad to your main diaper? You can change the pad out in less than a minute without even taking your diaper off. The Walmart Assurance Male Guards are only about $.25 each so it is very cost effective. Just make sure you don't remove the strip that covers the adhesive band. After changing out the pad several times then just use the diaper and change when that is soaked. I do this all the time and it works out great.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:35 pm 

That's an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that. My only concern is would the guard move or shift if not anchored down? I have had inserts bunch up on me. But I really appreciate the idea. What diaper do you use for your main diaper?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:38 pm 

It really depends on the situation at hand, if I'm staying home and not being too active I'll use a pretty basic diaper like an Assurance Stretch (super cool to wear and with high leak guards) or McKesson Ultra. If i'm going out and about something premium like a L4 Abena or Comfidry 24/7. Even with the premiums I'll often add a guard pad to extend the time I can wear the same diaper.
FYI...I haven't had any problem at all with them bunching up or moving even though I never use the adhesive strip feature.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:30 pm 

Do you cut slits in the guard pad for flow through?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:33 pm 

As stated above, I am shifting towards the cheaper diapers to save money. I can find some deals at the goodwill.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:36 pm 

Padded53 wrote:
Just make sure you don't remove the strip that covers the adhesive band.

I tend to agree with that.

fiacs wrote:

I'd suggest that you don't, so can change the guards and still have a dry diaper.

Hello, my name is Scott, and physically, I am 46 years old. However, thanks to abuse, and being special needs, mentally and emotionally, I am equal to about 6-10 years old. I'm autistic, deal with double incontinence, anxiety, depression, and PTSD.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:43 pm 

fiacs wrote:

No I don't cut any slits at all as I'm not looking for flow-thru with a Guard Pad. In additional that would allow the sticky inner contents to get out into your diaper and that is very difficult to clean up. The main idea is to let the Guard pad do most of the absorption and after several pad changes just use the main diaper. If you want a flow-thru type pad that is specifically what "booster" pads are.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:28 pm 

Upon further reflection, I'm not sold on the guard idea. The reason is because what happens if the guard is full and I can't change it? what happens then? Does my diaper leak? I can't be changing out the guard every time I pee in the diaper. I can't leave my post without asking to use the bathroom.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:11 pm 

Rob:
When the Guard pad gets fully soaked the overflow will just be absorbed by your diaper. I think you will be surprised at how much a Guard pad will absorb. Nonetheless it would be a good Idea to try this concept at home under circumstances where you can change as needed, and then if successful use this idea at work.