www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:50 pm 

I am 53 and has been an insulino-dependent diabetic since the age of 13. I started wetting my bed occasionally a few years ago and has been doing it ever since. My doctor told me it could be linked to my disease but said it was rather uncommon. Anyone experiencing it?

Post subject: diabetic Incon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:22 pm 
I am experiencing the same thing, even if it is uncommon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:37 pm 

I was urinary incontinent from birth until eleven years old and wore diapers full time. after that I wore diapers only at night until about three years ago when my daytime incontinence returned. Now I''m back to diapers 24/7 again. Both my urologist and endocrinologist says it's due to my diabetes having destroyed the nerve path that controls my bladder because of auto neuropathy brought on by the disease. They both told me thats one of the first targets attacked by the diabetes and it's very common.

Post subject: hi guys a new one here
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:45 pm 

hi guys and girls . yes i am suffering from dibetes and i too am suffering from this. Its been going on about a year for me now and i cant stand it anymore. the embaressment of it is the worse thing i have ever gone through in my life so far. And as far as my personel life goes well lets just say i think i am going to be single till i get better if ever :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:22 pm 

This is my first post. I've been on and off incontinent for 30 years and accidentally found out I had diabetes about 15 years ago. I say off and on because I can go for weeks with no problems at all (although lately I have some leakage) and then suddenly I'll begin a period of little or no control. Sometimes I need protection for a day and sometimes it can last for much longer. My neurologist says I have diabetic neuropathy along with lots of other problems.

I deal with incontinence mostly with a sense of humor and adult diapers. I use premium Abena X-plus diapers because I don't want any more embarrassment than necessary. Most of the time, a new cycle begins with wetting the bed at night. I've learned over the years to always wear diapers after the first occurrence because if I don't, most certainly I'll be very sad the next day. I mostly can tell when control comes back because I get the feeling that I "need to go". I've been wrong a few times but not very often. I think it is better to enjoy my continence as long as it still works. I'm afraid the day will come that I put a diaper on and the feeling never again returns. I sometimes have urgent bowel alerts that have resulted in unsatisfactory results :? It isn't so bad when wearing a diaper, but I've had bowel accidents with normal underwear and that is most embarrassing.

I'm sorry if I've been a bit long. Have a dry day.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:50 am 

Dangoch,
Thank you for your first post and welcome to the forum! You'll find a group of good people here that's always wanting to help.
Fecal incontinence is whole different ballgame as you have noted. I've nver had that problem unless I get diarea. Sounds like you've got things under pretty good control. Let us know if there is any topic you want to expand on. .......Paul Martin

Post subject: Yup, same issue here
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:31 pm 

I'm 41, and been a type one diabetic since I was 13. In the last couple of years I started having wetting accidents, and this year I went into diapers when I'm out of the house and for bed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:51 pm 

Do you have any idea what is causing your incon? Do you have any neuropathy issues? My urologist has done quite of few tests that explain some of my issues but I'm still not sure why it comes and goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:54 pm 

BB123 wrote:
I am 53 and has been an insulino-dependent diabetic since the age of 13. I started wetting my bed occasionally a few years ago and has been doing it ever since. My doctor told me it could be linked to my disease but said it was rather uncommon. Anyone experiencing it?

Uhh... Hate to tell you but EVERYONE is insulin dependent!! Everyone needs insulin to digest their food and keep sugar levels in check, some people just don't produce enough or none at all. Also, some become resistant to the insulin they do have.
The term "insulin dependent" is not really used anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:41 am 

I have type 2 diabetes (non -insulin at the moment),, but I have some diabetic neuropathy of the autonomic system which is affecting my alreday poor bladder control bladder control. I'm not sure why your doctor has said this is uncommon as it is a very common side effect of neuropathy and is well documented. Fecal incontinence is also a possibility with neuropathy.

Kelvin