www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:31 pm 

I work from home teaching ESL. Lately, I have been very busy between 5:00 and 8:10 teaching. Busy is good, i like making money. The only problem is if my bladder misbehaves, it does not leave me much time to change between classes. I have often been trying to put on a fresh diaper while class is going on because the time between classes is short. I get 2 minutes. So, i need to get creative when it comes to incontinence management. My big floods also tend to be in the morning. Are there cloth or disposable diapers that are easier to change while sitting than others? Would belted briefs be an option? Those who are using wheelchairs, what disposable do you find easiest to put on? I was experimenting with putting on one of my fitted cloth diapers on in my chair. It works, the only problem is i need to stand up to put my pants back on. I either have to get really really quick at changing diapers, or i have to figure out a way to put it on without getting up out of the chair or moving too much in the chair because when im in class im on camera, and they probably wonder what the heck im doing shifting around in my seat. Is there adapted clothing where I can drop the front and back so i can put the fresh diaper on and then get them back on easily? I don't want to be sititng in a wet diaper for too long, but I also don't want to have to change during class. Although nothing is showing below my chest on camera, its still awkward. Any ideas would be most welcome. I have 5 fitted diapers from ecoable, and 5 briefs from threaded armor. Covering all my bases, i also have a case of abena on the way to me. Hopefully something will be figured out. some days I work very long days and barely have time to change all day. this means I need premium absorbency.

If i can't change I don't mind sitting in a wet diaper as long as the skin is fairly dry feeling. I'd appreciate input on what briefs you feel keep the skin driest while sitting. I want to avoid using disposables as much as possible, but i have to weigh the recurring cost of disposables with the practicality of changing quickly.

Again, any ideas would be very appreciated.
Thanks!

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:52 pm 

Rob:
I would recommend starting with a super premium diaper like a Better Dry or ComfirDry 24/7, an Abena would be my second choice. Then add a male guard pad, like the Walmart Assurane Male Guard. This way you can get one or two wettings into the pad and then simply pull the soaked pad out and add another, all without removing the main diaper. I've done this on many occasions and the swap out can easily be accomplished in less than a minute. If the pad gets totally soaked it will simply overflow a bit into the main diaper. If you are within a few hours of the end of your classes you can simply remove the last pad and use the premium diaper. BTW...This is very efficient cost wise as the male guard pads only cost around $.25 each and in my experience you might only need three or four to cover your work day. Of course I would add a PUL pant over all of that just in case.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:47 pm 

Thanks for the input! I only bought Abena because they are the least expensive premium diaper by the case on XP Medical. I had already spent several hundred dollars on cloth diapers this month so I did not want to shell out 90 or 120 for for a case of the premium stuff. I REALLY like the fitted diapers from Ecoable. They are just like a tradtional cloth diaper except they keep urine from the skin AND they have snaps. They basically solved all the problems I had with traditional cloth in the first place (didn't keep urine from skin, toilet use next to impossible).
https://ecoable.net/adult-fitted-cloth- ... -big-kids/
I have a bag of abena and a bag of Seni quatro that I ordered a few days coming to me, then I ordered a case. My bladder was really wacky so i thought the more premium briefs I have on hand the better.

Padded, besides the two you mentioned there, is there any other diaper that does REALLY well keeping urine from the skin that you know of?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:27 pm 

I also like Northshore's Supreme and Supreme Lites as a primary diaper, in fact better than the Abena's which in my opinion have fairly poor oder control. You mentioned maintaining a "dry" feeling and I think that the male guard pads I mentioned also do a good job of feeling dry even when they are wet. With the pads generally only a very localized area is wet and since it is changed out every hour or two it doesn't have time to start smelling or producing irritating ammonia. I'm not familiar with the fitted diapers you mentioned but i don't see why adding a removable pad to them wouldn't work well too. And even to the extent that you wouldn't need the extra PUL pant I mentioned above.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:59 pm 

Ill definitely give the male guard idea a try. Maybe ill test it out when im not working during that rush hour so I can see how it works. In this case, I'm not really concerned with odor control as I am home most of the day. Odor control is mainly a concern when im out and about in public.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:09 am 

You might consider using a chair pad, and double night-weight cloth diapers. Pinned properly, and with a waterproof overpant, this combination gives me a solid eight - ten hours coverage.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:50 pm 

I have experience changing while sitting as I’m in a wheelchair. I don’t have experience changing while on a camera but honesty i don’t think it’s a good idea or even possible without someone noticing. Putting a pad inside something like betterdry or MegaMax like what was suggested would be my only thought.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:50 am 

Good to hear from you, Elijah! How have you been doing post amputation? Have you been able to use the diapers I sold you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:17 am 

Hey Rob. I’m well. I’ve gained a lot of weight since amputation so I haven’t been able to use the diapers you sold me unfortunately. I’ve actually moved up a size (from L to XL) in disposables. I’m using the Northshore supremes as they seem to fit best. Since my weight is fluctuating I’ve decided to stay with disposables for now. I’m still not walking much (had another surgery in November and have been dealing with a badly fitted leg and some infections) but the good news is my primary doctor said that even though I’ve gained weight I’m perfectly healthy. My cholesterol and blood pressure are perfect and I’m nowhere near diabetic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:45 am 

justej,

I was glad to read that you have emerged successfully from your medical difficulties. Here's a hope for your continued healing, and, especially, no diabetes!