www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:49 pm 

We as an incontinent community know that if our "secret" is found out by adults, that is, if something shows above the waist or something crinkles, a good majority of adults have the decency to not say anything. Not so for children. From a student seeing the top of my diaper and stifiling a giggle and saying "are you wearing a diaper" to my young cousin saying something.. ive had my share of awkward comments and the like. I just have it roll off like water off a duck's back. After all, they are kids. They don't know better. In their mindset, only babies wear diapers. So it's natural for them to laugh at what they don't understand. So how do YOU approach getting ousted by the younger generations?

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:02 pm 

Very interesting. It also could suggest that more adults notice our diapers than we realize.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:37 pm 

JD, I suspect you are right, particularly if one has a bowel episode and there are people present. Nullo may work, but it may not completely get rid everything. My heart goes out to you and everyone who deals with regular bowel episodes. They are NOT fun at all.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:01 am 

sociologygeek wrote:
JD, I suspect you are right, particularly if one has a bowel episode and there are people present. Nullo may work, but it may not completely get rid everything. My heart goes out to you and everyone who deals with regular bowel episodes. They are NOT fun at all.

yeah products like Nullo , Chlorofresh and similar cut down on the odor a bit but at best delay detection . those combined with a good cover like the garywear will
in my case get me time to get the soiled brief removed and replaced usually before detection. luckily for me most days are not an issue as I have management dang near perfected.
but there are always exceptions. tho I still cuss out a certain colorectal surgeon on occasion....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:06 pm 

Do people notice? I guess they do. I have had bowel accidents numerous places over the years. In a car with three other folks, standing in close-packed crowds, at high school athletic events and musical concerts, in the super market, to name just a few. Although Devrom and my protection are not foolproof, they do give me time to seek out a place to wash and change. As for kids' ignorant behavior, I would see that as an educational opportunity. Because there are some 33,000,000 of us in the USA alone, inevitably, these kids will eventually encounter folks their ages and older who are incontinent. Knowing how to respond appropriately could save them their job, if the incontinent person they encounter turns out to be their boss or a valued customer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:09 am 

Very interesting thread and excellent points, all.

BTW, re Nullo, Devrom, etc., for many of us, to be effective the higher recommended doses are necessary. Dosage at that level significantly helps control fecal odor but has a side effect of being very constipating.

For me and for many others, our fecal incontinence (at least in part) is the result of severe chronic constipation causing overflow diarrhea. :( As I use traditional soapsuds enemas to control my bowel incontinence, that is manageable, but may be more problematic for others.

For those of you who use, or have used, internal deodorants like Nullo, has this been a problem for you?

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:25 pm 

I take a Devrom tablet plus a stool softener with every solid meal. Also, perhaps once each week, I use a glycerin suppository, and occasionally enemas. My fecal accidents occur when I fail to match diet with medication as well as I should. My accidents remind me that I am not a medical professional, that I need to work harder, pay closer attention next time. But I do not want to stop using internal deodorants, even though they do somewhat complicate management.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:22 pm 

I manage my incontinence with ConfiDry diapers, boosters and plastic pants, so a fair amount of bulk. I always wear pants one size up at the waist, so even though the diaper is noticeable, it's not terribly obvious. Although some may have noticed, I've never had anyone in public ever say anything about my diapers. My immediate family and several of my wife's sisters are aware of my incontinence and diapers. Kids in the home are going to figure it out eventually, but in my case they grew up knowing of my situation and have to my knowledge never said anything to friends. It was presented as a necessary and normal management technique for my condition, so they never really thought anything of it. My wife has always been supportive and her sisters are curious and understanding as they have occasional incontinence themselves due to child birth. I'm used to living in diapers, so I really don't worry about this all that much. I'm careful and discrete, so as far as I know my incontinence is known by only a select few.