www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:58 pm 

Is it just me, or does the newer version of Confidry seem a lot thinner than it used to be? I've been wearing Better Dry for at least a year or two and have bought multiple cases when i feel the need to wear an extended wear disposable. I took one out of the package and laid it on my bed getting it ready to put on and i'm like huh.. thats a lot thinner than Better Dry. I don't care how thick or thin a diaper is as long as it does what i bought it for: contain my floods without leaking.

Anyone else notice this? Does this Confidry absorb as well as previous versions?

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:14 am 

ConfiDry 24/7 for years has been my daytime diaper. Recently, it not only appears thinner, but the texture of the absorbent mat has become a bit "crunchy" and not very compressible. I would venture a guess that they are using less fluff and that the diaper core now consists almost entirely of SAP.

Previously I would shake the diaper out to let it fluff up. That no longer works. :( Now it is necessary to massage or knead the absorbent mat to make it more flexible and more comfortable.

A greater SAP to fluff ratio produces a diaper that is not only thinner but absorbs more urine. Being thinner also reduces transportation costs for manufacturers and vendors as they can squeeze more diapers into a shipping container.

However, for me thinness is not everything. I want a diaper that is relatively thin and highly absorbent yet prefer the feel of a diaper with more fluff pulp mixed into the matrix with the SAP.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:38 am 

To add to what JDinVirginia said above...
I find that diapers with more SAP and less fluff tend to not wick as well and will also expand much more. I see this with my Better Dry diapers as opposed to my (apparently older) ComfiDry 24/7's. The more SAP the more liquid the diaper will theoretically hold but if it can't get to the SAP to be absorbed due to poor wicking it's really just a waste. A large bulging diaper can also be noticed more easily by others.

Last edited by Padded53 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:00 pm 

I've noticed that with the Tena Slips I wear at night: one wetting will often bulk up part of the brief which will get in the way of the next, resulting in a leak, because of the expansion of the SAP.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:08 am 

I noticed SAP crystals on my genital area after i took the diaper off. Does this happen with anyone else? It had absorbed a few pretty heavy wettings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:59 am 

sociologygeek, for me it has been extremely unusual to find SAP crystals left on my body from a ConfiDry 24/7. It has happened, but it is rare. Usually it has occurred when I have been very active in a very wet diaper and caused the top protective layer nearest my skin to tear, allowing some SAP to escape. However, if the SAP to fluff ratio in the core matrix has changed, we may see more of this.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:27 am 

JD, good to hear from you. Just curious, hows the bowel management regimen going? When was your last bowel accident in the diaper? Any change in your frequency of urinary incontinence?