www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: diaper covers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:16 pm 

Hey guys how is eveyone,

I have a question I have seen diaper covers all over the internet, and I am wondering how do these work?
can I wear them with my diapers when i sleep like on my sides and back
do i need a bedpad or is the diaper good enough keep in mind I can't buy a mattress protector at the moment.
I look forward to hearing from eveyone thanks Gabe

P.S please no negitive comments

Post subject: Re: diaper covers
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:40 pm 

I think the Gary Active Wear or Leakmaster PUL (PolyUrethane Laminate) pants are the best diaper covers on the market by far. The construction is top quality and they aren't nearly as hot as regular rubber or plastic pants since they have the ability to let air circulate but not let moisture or liquid through.

Be aware that no diaper cover, even the PUL type, is 100% leakproof. While the fabric itself may not allow liquid through there is always the chance of a leak at the leg or waist openings. Diaper covers aren't designed to hold "running" liquid but rather to isolate a wet (generally cloth) diaper from touching and allowing moisture to wick onto a dry surface.

Even though the PUL pants are a good bit more expensive they are worth every penny since they will easily last 3 to 4 (or more) times as long as regular plastic pants. In addition they can be washed and dried in the regular wash.

For day use I use the more form fitting Gary Activewear in cooler months and in the warmer months use the LeakMaster side-snap PUL pants. At night I like to use the LeakMasters pull-up PUL pants as they are cut a good bit fuller,give better coverage, and are more comfortable for sleeping.

Both brands can be purchased at Adult Cloth Diaper Co. online.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:29 pm 

Padded53 wrote:
I think the Gary Active Wear or Leakmaster PUL (PolyUrethane Laminate) pants are the best diaper covers on the market by far. The construction is top quality and they aren't nearly as hot as regular rubber or plastic pants since they have the ability to let air circulate but not let moisture or liquid through.

Be aware that no diaper cover, even the PUL type, is 100% leakproof. While the fabric itself may not allow liquid through there is always the chance of a leak at the leg or waist openings. Diaper covers aren't designed to hold "running" liquid but rather to isolate a wet (generally cloth) diaper from touching and allowing moisture to wick onto a dry surface.

Even though the PUL pants are a good bit more expensive they are worth every penny since they will easily last 3 to 4 (or more) times as long as regular plastic pants. In addition they can be washed and dried in the regular wash.

For day use I use the more form fitting Gary Activewear in cooler months and in the warmer months use the LeakMaster side-snap PUL pants. At night I like to use the LeakMasters pull-up PUL pants as they are cut a good bit fuller,give better coverage, and are more comfortable for sleeping.

Both brands can be purchased at Adult Cloth Diaper Co. online.

Hey padded 53 thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:29 am 

During the day I use PUL pants from DMPonline; over heavy nighttime protection I wear polyurethane pants from AngelFluff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:03 pm 

My two cents...
I use PUL or urethane pants over cloth diapers.
Waterproof pants, regardless of the (many) materials are a barrier to contain the damp cloth from wicking to dry materials outside the pants. If leakage occurs, it’s because the diaper isn’t completely covered or there’s simply not enough absorbent material.
Wearing waterproof pants (any material) over disposable diapers simply doesn’t make sense to me. Once the disposable diaper is saturated enough to leak, it will leak between the plastic exterior of the disposable and the waterproof pants. Because there’s no absorbent material between the two “plastics”, the liquid will find an exit -very soon-!
To summarize, “plastic” pants are best used with cloth diapers only. If you generally soak a single diaper, making it very uncomfortable, try doubling or adding a booster. Unless the cloth is completely saturated, it won’t leak past the waterproof pants.
For me, the more cloth I can wear without it becoming noticeable, the better. I can go longer between changes and am MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE in the hot humid Texas heat!!! That usually means double diapers (under a skirt, which most people nearly always see me in) or a single with a well placed cloth booster.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:35 pm 
Admin

I’m inclined to agree with Ellyn. Once a disposable becomes wet enough to leak, plastic on plastic won’t stop liquid. It WILL come out. There’s nothing there to absorb it. I’ve worn cloth before as well. Like Ellyn said, with cloth the material absorbs the liquid. If you’re getting leaks, add more layers or change sooner. When I wore cloth, the PUL Gary pants were unsatisfactory. They simply didn’t seal tight enough. I used high back vinyl pants and it worked out fine. There was a learning curve with cloth. But I figured them out quick and adapted to my situation. They were comfortable and the vinyl vs PUL cover temperature difference was negligible. I didn’t notice. But no, I don’t think wearing a plastic pant over a disposable does much good. Once the disposable begins leaking, a PUL covers not going to stop it. It’s not water tight. There has to be something to absorb the excess. Plastic on plastic isn’t going to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:04 am 

Patrick wrote:
During the day I use PUL pants from DMPonline; over heavy nighttime protection I wear polyurethane pants from AngelFluff.

Hey Patrick thanks for your herlp.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:05 am 

Don wrote:
I’m inclined to agree with Ellyn. Once a disposable becomes wet enough to leak, plastic on plastic won’t stop liquid. It WILL come out. There’s nothing there to absorb it. I’ve worn cloth before as well. Like Ellyn said, with cloth the material absorbs the liquid. If you’re getting leaks, add more layers or change sooner. When I wore cloth, the PUL Gary pants were unsatisfactory. They simply didn’t seal tight enough. I used high back vinyl pants and it worked out fine. There was a learning curve with cloth. But I figured them out quick and adapted to my situation. They were comfortable and the vinyl vs PUL cover temperature difference was negligible. I didn’t notice. But no, I don’t think wearing a plastic pant over a disposable does much good. Once the disposable begins leaking, a PUL covers not going to stop it. It’s not water tight. There has to be something to absorb the excess. Plastic on plastic isn’t going to do that.

hey Don thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:14 am 

Gabe:
As I mentioned in my post, and Ellyn and Don emphasized, PUL/plastic pants will not stop even a moderate flowing liquid leak. That of course is the job of the diaper. However there are certain situations that arise from time to time where I absolutely must not have a leak of any kind. In those few situations I've put either a small cotton pad (like a wash cloth) or a small booster pad in the bottom of my PUL pants to soak up any liquid that might get by my diaper. Truly a belt and suspenders approach and certainly not something that should be needed on a daily basis. If that was the case you just plain need to improve your main protection.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:45 am 

I use the Leakmaster PUL diaper covers every night, and they generally do catch and contain the smaller leaks. It is definitely much easier to launder them then it is to launder my mattress pad, usually I’ll just thoroughly rinse them out when a leak occurs and then throw them in the pail and then wash them at the end of the week. I’m a stomach, back and side sleeper, so usually when I get a leak it’s because of how I’m positioned.