www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:45 pm 

Recently I went on a long holiday abroad. As we all know this requires a lot of planning. In our case we spent a few weeks camping and a few weeks at homes of friends. On average I use one diaper per night and two pants during the day. Counting all I had to take enough stock with me to go beyond a normal travel bag. Secondly you have to think what you wear during camping, which is different than when you stay with friends in a nice clean environment. As a result I brought with me 3 plastic pants, bed protection (cotton), pants I wear over the diaper and underneath the plastic pants to catch any leakage of the diaper, different covers, bigger jogging pants etc. The holiday was really great. Heaps of fun, beautiful weather and lot's of adventures. At the end of the holiday I noticed that my planning worked out really well. I had 6 diapers left over and only needed to buy one pack of pants in the grocery store. I was super relaxed due to the good planning and support I get from my wife.

What I wanted to say is that my wife gave me a big compliment once we got home. She told me I handled all extremely well, without stress and showed to myself that I can do anything I want. "The incontinence does not stop you to do anything. You were a bit nervous before the trip, but you showed all is possible. I'm proud of you". I was surprised but super proud as well getting this compliment.

So, well ... how do you deal with your incontinence ... sometimes it's a big struggle, but sometimes it shows that we can do anything we want to do. It shall not stop us living our life. We should never forget that.

Cheers,
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:01 pm 

Hooray and well-earned congratulations!

Because I'm incontinent, diapers enable me to live my life. Sometimes diapers are a hindrance; sometimes they are annoying, but they combat embarrassment, so I'm all for wearing them and getting on with living.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:43 pm 

Congratulations bobcooper!! You are so right, planning is the key factor in dealing with incontinence. That is one of the big lessons I've learned for sure.
Case in point is that I'm right now planning for a two week vacation abroad with the knowledge that another couple will be with us during our automobile touring, that means close quarters for sure. I'm going to try to keep my incontinence a secret but If I can't I know our very good friends will understand and be supportive. On and off I've been trying condom catheters (with some success) but I'm nowhere near comfortable enough with them to go with those yet. So I'm now trying to figure how many of what type of protection I will need to take, or perhaps buy on location. It can be a daunting task but also rewarding when you get it right as you did. I've got a few options and I hope my planning turns out as good as yours.