www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:58 am 

Out of curiosity, how many diapers do you keep as a current stock? I keep about three months' supply of my standard diapers as well as about a month of thinner diapers for short outings.

On top of this, I have various bags of less than ideal diapers that were samples or test purchases.

My main concern is the degradation of the tape adhesives. I'm not sure how long they will last when in a sealed bag. I guess the ideal scenario is in a cool, dry, sealed box.

Also, what other supplies do you find handy for preparing for any particular day? If I know I'll need to be walking a lot, I'll choose a certain type of plastic pants to cover noise and minimize friction. If I know I'll have a long time between change opportunities, I'll go with a Gary-brand PUL pant.

Of course, my mobile solution is an extra pair of underwear, powder, two spare diapers, and spare plastic pants. All in a messenger bag. There's enough space for my laptop, chargers, etc, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:00 pm 

I wear cloth as much as possible, including most evenings and nights. When I’m at home during the day or out casually for about 4-5 hours max, I wear cloth. When I’m out for longer periods of time or during errands for work, where I’m in less casual environments, I wear a premium disposable (which has been Abena or ComfiDry). For more formal events or anytime I’m wearing snug fitting jeans, shorts, or dresses, a pull-up and booster pad combo.
I have about a dozen double cloth diaper sets, and wear double at night and otherwise anytime where I can. I also will wear a single cloth when whatever I’m wearing is more close fitting, though must change 2-3 times more often.
I try to keep 4-6 bags of premium diapers on hand as a minimum, and 6-8 bags after an order. I get nervous when my supply reaches 2 bags!
I keep 3-4 packages of pull-ups and a few packages of pads (boosters), both of which are available at CVS. The days of wearing just a pad in my underwear are over as I leak much too frequently and flood often.
I have numerous plastic, urethane, and PUL pants, pins, etc.
I keep the cloth diapers on shelves in my closet, separated as “good”, “better”, “best”.. I eventually downgrade badly worn diapers for use in the garage, and reorder.
Bags of disposable products are also in my closet, some on shelves, some on the floor. Pants and other supplies are in my dresser.
I try to not keep too many disposable products as room is an issue, but I do overstock if we are planning a trip.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:36 pm 

Ellyn wrote:
I wear cloth as much as possible, including most evenings and nights. When I’m at home during the day or out casually for about 4-5 hours max, I wear cloth. When I’m out for longer periods of time or during errands for work, where I’m in less casual environments, I wear a premium disposable (which has been Abena or ComfiDry). For more formal events or anytime I’m wearing snug fitting jeans, shorts, or dresses, a pull-up and booster pad combo.

You know, I've never really seriously considered cloth. Can you tell me why they work best for you?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:48 pm 

doogles wrote:
Ellyn wrote:

You know, I've never really seriously considered cloth. Can you tell me why they work best for you?

Lets see.. Reliable padding integrity, comfort, reusability, long term cost savings, eco friendly.. customized absorbency, chemical free.. take up less storage space...need I go on?

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:24 am 

I have some 18 washable diapers in current use. The newest are four years old; the rest range downward to some twelve years old; the rest are rags, too ratty to be useful for their original purpose.

I too have a closet floor covered with supplies that either did not work, for me, as advertised, or were not useful in other ways. I'm procrastinating cleaning it out. I try to wear cloth as much as possible, and reserve disposables for vacations and travel for other reasons. I can wear Depends pullups during the day because my leakage is pretty much a continual drip, which usually gives me time to find an adequate bathroom. At night, on the road, I use Dry 24/7 with a plastic pant.

My wife and I took the whole month of June, 2016, for a cross-country trip. I took an unopened bag of Dry 24/7s along, and used almost all of them.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:44 am 

Admittedly, cloth probably isn’t for everyone. I guess that SociologyGeek outlined my preference for cloth very well!
I find cloth the best option at night for comfort and leakage. I wear cloth during the day for the same reasons, when possible. That’s not to say that disposable options aren’t a large part of my life When outside in heat and humidity, nothing beats cloth. Be aware though I’m specifically talking about double diapers for the most part for comfort in the heat. A single diaper will soon feel damp and uncomfortable with perspiration only, though I will wear a single diaper in many situations as well. Double diapers seem to absorb and pull wetness well into the layers so the skin feels very dry.
Fortunately, my body shape (skinny mini with wide hips...) and choices in clothing (casual dresses with full skirt) allows me to wear a thicker diaper with no obvious outlines or bulges. I also wear a light support brief that keeps a wet diaper in place.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:33 am 

a large basement or other storage area helps. when Gary sold XP Medical he held onto a ton of his old stock.
I purchased at a great price 30 or so cases of the ID Slip Maxi briefs. as I always had those and the new at the time
Northshore Air supreme as basically the exact same item. both made by Ontex in Europe. one in the Belgium plant
and the other in the French plant. I spread out the purchases of those cases a bit as space was a bit tight.
at the moment I have 12 cases of the ID Slip and 6 of the Northshore. at 2 cases a month that leaves me with about a 9month supply on hand,.
which will last longer as I have moved to the Megamax as the overnight solution. either way if I see a deal I will jump on it and stash stuff away.
my issues are not gonna get better anytime in the future for now so I have no issue and stacking em deep. tho my ammo and diaper stashes eye each other
with dirty looks at times.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:46 am 

fanoftherichISC wrote:
tho my ammo and diaper stashes eye each other

Buy em cheap, stack em deep. My diapers are on the left side of the closet, and my ammo is on the right. Gun safe in the center.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:30 am 

I've had several opportunities to buy diapers at wholesale and when that happens I really stock up. Right now I've got eleven cases of Abena L4's, three case of ComfiDry 24/7, four cases of Mckesson Ultras, six cases of ProCare, three cases of Molicare Mobile pull-ups, four cases of Attends pull-ups, one case of ATN's, and a few miscellaneous bags. Wow, that's 32+ cases of diapers, and although that seems like a really ridiculous amount it's really only about a year and half supply. It's not a problem right now as I've got a storage unit but as I get things out of there I'm hoping the diaper supply will dwindle as well and eventually I'll not need it. I think a case or maybe two of the diapers I use most is a pretty realistic amount to keep around. For me that would be about six or eight cases total.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:09 pm 

fanoftherichISC wrote:
a large basement or other storage area helps. when Gary sold XP Medical he held onto a ton of his old stock.
I purchased at a great price 30 or so cases of the ID Slip Maxi briefs. as I always had those and the new at the time
Northshore Air supreme as basically the exact same item. both made by Ontex in Europe. one in the Belgium plant
and the other in the French plant. I spread out the purchases of those cases a bit as space was a bit tight.
at the moment I have 12 cases of the ID Slip and 6 of the Northshore. at 2 cases a month that leaves me with about a 9month supply on hand,.
which will last longer as I have moved to the Megamax as the overnight solution. either way if I see a deal I will jump on it and stash stuff away.
my issues are not gonna get better anytime in the future for now so I have no issue and stacking em deep. tho my ammo and diaper stashes eye each other

:lol: :lol:

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II