www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hydration
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:56 pm 

So my doctor wants me to drink enough water that my pee comes out clear, which is easy to determine if you're peeing into a toilet. When using a diaper, how do you determine the appropriate color? Things like the wetness indicators, or the time it sits make the pee in the diaper change colors. I hope this was as clear as mud, but I could use some advice! 8) :? 8)

Marcus Aurelius

Post subject: Re: Hydration
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:36 am 

Porkchop wrote:
So my doctor wants me to drink enough water that my pee comes out clear, which is easy to determine if you're peeing into a toilet. When using a diaper, how do you determine the appropriate color? Things like the wetness indicators, or the time it sits make the pee in the diaper change colors. I hope this was as clear as mud, but I could use some advice! 8) :? 8)

In my experience, urine doesn't change color while it is suspended in a diaper (at least not in a disposable one). You can accurately gauge your level of hydration by looking inside your diaper while changing. I take note of mine throughout the day - you can tell a lot about your health from that.

I had a cold this week and was taking Berocca in the morning (a popular vitamin supplement in the UK). My lunchtime diaper change was the brightest yellow I've ever seen - almost fluorescent.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:16 am 

Hi

I soaked a diaper with water from the tap took a photo laminated it named it with the diaper name and this is my benchmark when I change my diaper. Each diaper is different so I have a photo of all the diapers I use additionally I have a copy on my smartphone.

I always check my diaper colour between changes. I have created a colour chart and add this to my daily bladder diary I keep along with the weight of the diaper fluid intake etc. My medical team find this data extremely useful. This also helps the early detection of infections too.

Hope this is useful.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:58 am 

Many factors influence hydration. A hot summer day, the desert-dry air inside a home in the winter, being outside during a humid, rainy day, and the consumption of diuretic foods, such as coffee (I am an addict), can all influence hydration. The worst result of dehydration, for me, is that the resultant concentrated urine gives me a rash after even an hour or two.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:24 am 

Thanks, I was curious if the urine sitting in the diaper might develop bacteria which would affect the color. Appreciate the answers

Marcus Aurelius