www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:32 pm 

Hey, so i found the perfect diaper The happyflute ai0. Problem is I need it more absorbent if i want to do extended wear. I figured out id get more layers from one flat diaper versus inserts, so was looking into buying gauze flats as inserts.. and then it occured to me to try flour sack towels. I heard the idea before. Definetly seems feasible.. i dumped 20 oz on them and tehy seemed to absorb and wick well. the diaper has a 4 layer insert built in so that saves on layers. I will let you know how I get on. Peace out!

Rob
Update- I folded and inserted 7 flour sac towels. Instead of laying them on top of each other and doing an origami fold which was the origional plan, I instead took each diaper and folded it into thirds or fourths. Normally i wouldnt diaper that heavily but this is just a starting experiment. Result? Resounding success. It held up admriably to the morning deluge. Now, if a diaper set up can stand up to that, I daresay it could handle my lesser wettings with less flour sacks. Its been a while since i measured the morning deluge but my esimates are it exceeds 15 oz, and thats not just wetting 10 and hen wetting a few more. No, im not that lucky Its 15 oz all at once. And it held up well.It was so bulky that it showed under my pants so obviously i have to taper down the owels, but wow. I now know i have a reliable solution.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:37 am 

Hey Rob:
I'm really glad to hear that the WalMart Flour Sack Cloths are working so well for you. I suspect you saw one of my posts about them. They are what I use in my nighttime diaper and they have worked out great for me too. I've even used them as a "disposable" cloth diaper a few times when on trips away from home. Besides being very affordable I like the fact that they are easy to fold as needed without the bulk of a full cloth diaper, easy to wash, and better yet super quick to dry. Win-wins all the way around.

Last edited by Padded53 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:38 pm 

Padded53 wrote:
Hey Rob:
I'm really glad to hear that the WalMart Flour Sack Cloths (5 for $5) are working so well for you. I suspect you saw one of my posts about them. They are what I use in my nighttime diaper and they have worked out great for me too. I've even used them as a "disposable" cloth diaper a few times when on trips away from home. Besides being very affordable I like the fact that they are easy to fold as needed without the bulk of a full cloth diaper, easy to wash, and better yet super quick to dry. Win-wins all the way around.

Padded,

do you find they are still comfortable even when wet? I just had a semi deliberate wetting to test the absorbency and to see if 3 would hold up to a morning deluge type wetting and i do feel somewhat wet. But then again, my wettings usually don't equal 15 oz. I am really impressed at how well they work so far. Just need to make sure that if i have to use them for extended wear, they are still comfortable even when wet. If not, i may have to go for another option

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:21 pm 

Rob:
I hate to say this but I don't have a lot of experience with them being really soaked. I use them only at night and when I wet it's only in the 7-8 oz range as my bladder has shrunk quite a bit in last 3 years that I've been wearing diapers 24/7. I will say that when I do have a bedwetting incident the single flour sack cloth I use (folded into six layers) as an insert has soaked everything up instantly and then transferred quite a bit of it to the pull-up that I wear over it. In fact it transfers so well that about 20% of the cloth isn't even damp. In addition I always wear a PUL pant over everything and only once or twice has there ever been even the slightest dampness in it even though I'm a side-sleeper.

On the mornings that I do wake up wet I have to say I don't feel wet at all. Is that because a lot of the wetness has transferred to the diaper? I'm not sure but I suspect that if you really soaked the cloth to being saturated it would feel wet and of course would press-out with the slightest pressure. I guess as is usual with our incontinence protection you'll have to test it yourself to see exactly how many cloths you will need and how well they work for you in various situations. Please let us all know how well your "testing" works out as I sure many others on here may want to try this method too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:14 am 

Ok, I foresee only ONE drawback for anyone using HappyFlute AIO adult... The seams SEEM to come apart easily. I have strength tested all critical seams by tugging, only one gave way a little bit. I will be experimenting next week with different washing routines (washer and dryer settings) to see if I can't eliminate the problem. I will scour the internet looking for tips. The diaper is great in that it separates from the Shell but the one downside is that there is only the seams at the very end of pad stiching the seam to the diaper. Its a great design in theory, but we shall see how it stands up to actual use. Jury is currently out, will be reconvened to give final verdict in a few weeks. For now, Id recoomend trying ONE for yourself, but don't risk investing in an inventory until i sort out this seams-coming-loose problem. Give me time to figure out wehtehr this is a fatal flaw or just a minor annoyance.