www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Catching up..
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:17 pm 

Hey all, I know I've been "off the grid" Sorry, life keeps me busy.

In terms of dealing with my own incontinence, several developments. First, I completed the Nuro treatment, and unfortunately saw no appreciable noticable results in terms of reduction of symtoms; in fact, I had an episode RIGHT AFTER I finished one of my treatmetns. My urologist said if Nuro did not do anything, then Interstim would be pointless because they in fact do the same thing. She mentioned botox, which would leave me dry, but would mean i had to cath regularly without forgetting. Seeing as how my ADHD and PDD-NOS combined make it so its hard for me to be consistent with much of anything, I really don't know if i want to take that risk and risk kidney damage from forgetting to cath and all that urine backing up and me not being able to get it out. Truthfully, my incontinence, while being a pain in the a** sometimes, is managable. That brings me to Afex. Through God's good providence, I found out that it is actually covered by medicare at right around the time I became Medicare eligble thanks to SSDI. So I had the good fortune to try it. Only it was not the complete kit with the boxer brief, but rather an athletic supporter style deal with only one of te 3 receptacles. Still, insurance paid for something that would have cost 146 othewise. Trutfhully, the jury is still out on overall effectiveness in all situations. More testing is required. I wore the unit around my home and had good results testing in standing and sititng postions, the first time. Going down the road, i had a full bladder and figured id be more comfortable if i released myself and let the Afex do its thing. Mind you, I'm not in the habit of intentionally wetting my diaper/using the urinal, since I don't want to diminish the control I have. But I will admit to using for convinence from time to time especially wen my bladder is so full its starting to get uncomfortable. Long st ory short i figured why not. I said if thjis is going to fail i need to know right here right now. So, i went...and it leaked. Was it the positon or the fact I had the bag compressed by boxer briefs? I don't know. The problem i have is the devicce is seccured by an atheltic supproter. It has no coverage of the butt. I wouldn't find that particualy comfotable, so I wore boxe briefs over it. The bag was somehat compressed Did that cause a leak? or failure? I wasn't sure so i tested it again, this time sitting on my couch with nothing over it. The bag contained the urine, but i felt a wet spot at the bottom of the supporter just underneath the appartus. sure enough. there was urine there. But standing up it contains well. The system featurers 3 different apparatus types. I only have one of them. Maybe i need another type to be dry while sitting? I don't know. The jury is still out. I am not willing to give up easily.
I ordered 4 pocket diapers from Bigger diapers. com. Through a clerical error i ended up getting 8! I paid for the 4 sent in error at a discount and kept them rather than paying to send them back. They fit well and are comforttable. My only beef is the velcro in the front should go all across the diaper. And finally, just today I got my order of 3 happy flute all in one cloth diapers from Aliexpress. I know, youre probably saying stay the heck AWAY from all in ones, hard to dry without wearing out hte shell. And yes, that is the case for MOST AI0. But NOT these. take a look at this picture: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1yKN_IVXX ... fab1a9c22d
The diaper shell actually separates from the absorbent material, making washing and drying much faster and without sacrificing the PUL. The company does have pocket style diapers too, but hte rpoblem is you can't exactly order what size insert you want from the site. I put the diaper on a bit ago, and it fits very comfortably. I tested it with a decent wetting with only one insert and it performed admirably. I would say that any cloth diaper with one insert is comprable to a midrange disposable in terms of absorbency. In other words, Id do it for change when wet, but if your'e planning on extended wear id use more inserts. I will report back in terms of feasibility and ease of use with multiple inserts. For now, i say adieu. Much work to be done.

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

Post subject: Re: Catching up..
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:01 pm 

Glad you're back, and sorry the treatment didn't work.

Marcus Aurelius