www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:18 pm 

Hi all,
One of my FB friends and a fellow incontinent could use the experience of this board. He recently became doubly incontinent. He was going without protection due to high cost. Don't worry, I sent him most of my pocket diapers that are bikni style. so at leas he has something. He says they work well for urine containment but due to the liquid nature of his bowel movements they oooze out of his legs. Would high back plastic pants help him? I would appreciate any thoughts you guys have. It cost me 30 dollars to ship the diapers to him, but i don't count the cost. I didn't help him until recently because i didnt realize he was doubly incon with no protection at all.

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:38 pm 

sociologygeek wrote:
Hi all,
One of my FB friends and a fellow incontinent could use the experience of this board. He recently became doubly incontinent. He was going without protection due to high cost. Don't worry, I sent him most of my pocket diapers that are bikni style. so at leas he has something. He says they work well for urine containment but due to the liquid nature of his bowel movements they oooze out of his legs. Would high back plastic pants help him? I would appreciate any thoughts you guys have. It cost me 30 dollars to ship the diapers to him, but i don't count the cost. I didn't help him until recently because i didnt realize he was doubly incon with no protection at all.

Peace out!

Rob

Hey Rob,

I assume you have already encouraged this friend to see a doctor to make sure there is nothing that can be done to help with his double incontinence? Although, it sounds like cost may be prohibitive in terms of medical care, I still hope he can get in to see someone to get checked out. To answer your question, I would say yes. I don't have much experience with the type of washable diaper that it sounds like you sent him, but if he is having liquid stool (which I unfortunately do have personal experience with :oops:) then high rise plastic pants could give him another layer of protection between his accidents and his clothes. This is especially true if the accident occurs while sitting down, when the fecal matter is more likely to leak out the legs or the top of the diaper. In a perfect world (one with no cost restraints) I would highly recommend him wearing a tape on diaper. I have even used Attends or Depends with tabs when I couldn't get a more premium brief. While the depends aren't the best, they will contain a bowel accident better (in my case) better than a pull-up style diaper because I can get them more snug around the legs, and they are relatively cheap. I wish you and your friend the very best. Being doubly incontinent is very stressful, as I am sure you know. You are a great friend to be helping him through this like you are. Keep us posted on his condition!

Best,

Dallas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:48 pm 

Dallasinc wrote:
sociologygeek wrote:
Hi all,

Peace out!

Rob

Hey Rob,

I assume you have already encouraged this friend to see a doctor to make sure there is nothing that can be done to help with his double incontinence? Although, it sounds like cost may be prohibitive in terms of medical care, I still hope he can get in to see someone to get checked out. To answer your question, I would say yes. I don't have much experience with the type of washable diaper that it sounds like you sent him, but if he is having liquid stool (which I unfortunately do have personal experience with :oops:) then high rise plastic pants could give him another layer of protection between his accidents and his clothes. This is especially true if the accident occurs while sitting down, when the fecal matter is more likely to leak out the legs or the top of the diaper. In a perfect world (one with no cost restraints) I would highly recommend him wearing a tape on diaper. I have even used Attends or Depends with tabs when I couldn't get a more premium brief. While the depends aren't the best, they will contain a bowel accident better (in my case) better than a pull-up style diaper because I can get them more snug around the legs, and they are relatively cheap. I wish you and your friend the very best. Being doubly incontinent is very stressful, as I am sure you know. You are a great friend to be helping him through this like you are. Keep us posted on his condition!

Best,

Dallas

His incon is caused by a neurlogical condition so unfortunately there is little doctors can do. I did however recommend peristeen. Thank you, I will pass along the suggestion of high backed plastic pants. Before I helped him, he was resorting to wrapping chux pads around himself which often leaked. I might be able to send him one or two pairs.Maybe he can buy them himself.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:51 pm 
Admin

I am incontinent from a neurological condition as well known as autonomic neuropathy. Due to my neuropathy, I also have Gastroparesis and pelvic floor dyssynergia. I suffer from chronic GI distress, constipation, and diarrhea. It is miserable. I would highly recommend to your friend to see a gastroenterologist if he hasn’t already done so. Even with nerve conditions, there still may be things they can do. Medical care is always evolving. As far as incontinence with liquid stool, I prefer tape on diapers. I’ve used cloth before but with chronic diarrhea the laundry was horrendous. I prefer to change, and throw it away, and forget about it. I use well fitting tape on briefs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:37 am 

Don wrote:
I am incontinent from a neurological condition as well known as autonomic neuropathy. Due to my neuropathy, I also have Gastroparesis and pelvic floor dyssynergia. I suffer from chronic GI distress, constipation, and diarrhea. It is miserable. I would highly recommend to your friend to see a gastroenterologist if he hasn’t already done so. Even with nerve conditions, there still may be things they can do. Medical care is always evolving. As far as incontinence with liquid stool, I prefer tape on diapers. I’ve used cloth before but with chronic diarrhea the laundry was horrendous. I prefer to change, and throw it away, and forget about it. I use well fitting tape on briefs.

Don, I agree with you.. with fecal incontinence, disposables are preferable. But the guy. is living from disability paycheck to paycheck. He couldn't even afford to repay me the 30 dollars i spent on shipping. I told him not to worry about it as I am working. So I highly doubt he could afford a bag of Confidry, much less a case.. which is why he was asking me for help. Granted, this is not an ideal situation, but before I helped him, he was leaking all over the place with chux. I believe he is seeing a gastroenterologist. Would you think in his case an artificial rectal sphincter to be beneficial and worth the risk?

Peace out!

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:05 am 

What kind of insurance does he have?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:12 pm 

rob find out if he could get throw aways and send him to www.northshorecare.com they have a store brand that is very good and to (me) i find them in the long run cheap they will also be very happy to send him samples to try if he is uneasy about calling them they have a chat line on the site he could even chat with someone right now i think

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:45 pm 
Admin

As far as the artificial sphincter, that is between him and his gastroenterologist. To evaluate that, they use anorectal manometry. It evaluates sphincter function and several other things. The test is not for the easily embarrassed. For me it was very uncomfortable. They explain everything as they go but still. Depending on the results the docs may talk to him about that. But just because someone suffers from bowel incontinence doesn’t mean they are a candidate for such a thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:06 am 

Don wrote:
As far as the artificial sphincter, that is between him and his gastroenterologist. To evaluate that, they use anorectal manometry. It evaluates sphincter function and several other things. The test is not for the easily embarrassed. For me it was very uncomfortable. They explain everything as they go but still. Depending on the results the docs may talk to him about that. But just because someone suffers from bowel incontinence doesn’t mean they are a candidate for such a thing.

True.. but i thought that since he is in a wheelchair, that such a procedure would greatly improve his quality of life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:19 pm 

I read about your friend, and his problem with feces oozing out the leg openings.
It might help to add some psyllium husk to his diet to make it firmer.
It might not solve the problem totally, but it might make things more managable.