www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:54 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
wwboy, unfortunately it appears that you did not find the right therapist for your needs. There are very good ones out there. Mine was a Ph.D. physical therapist in a specialty clinic specializing in pelvic disorders for both men and women. You are correct that more women have pelvic disorders than men. Keep looking.

--John

Same question to you :) any ideas on clinics? I’m in rural Washington state (east side).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 am 

Unfortunately, I do not know enough about clinics in your area to be of assistance. In the current "Me Too" era, adult males must be vigilant. To a certain extent, male arousal is both physical and psychological; you can only influence the psychological aspect. If your therapist is fully trained and competent, she will know far more about this than you do. My therapist grinned and said that working on me was like being back in cadaver lab, which defused the situation for both of us.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:13 am 

wwboy, I cannot advise re clinics in your area. However, even if you have to drive a bit it probably would be worth it. The first few sessions are the most important. That is where you learn how to correctly perform the Kegels from a professional. That can make it so much easier as well as more effective. After that point you could continue on your own at home.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 am 

Patrick wrote:
Unfortunately, I do not know enough about clinics in your area to be of assistance. In the current "Me Too" era, adult males must be vigilant. To a certain extent, male arousal is both physical and psychological; you can only influence the psychological aspect. If your therapist is fully trained and competent, she will know far more about this than you do. My therapist grinned and said that working on me was like being back in cadaver lab, which defused the situation for both of us.

Are you saying that you had a similar issue with a therapist or that as a whole, in all aspects, your body just doesn’t respond to touch at all?

I’m just struggling with what I should do next? Probably will leave it alone and assume that my therapist was totally unaware of my discomort. I thought also about feigning an urgent urine episode if it were to happen again...so at least I could get up, run to the bathroom, readjust, splash some cold water, etc. The last thing I want is to traumatize someone, or get into hot water myself by somehow unintentionally communicating a sexual advance!

I guess this is just another way my body seems to be betraying me lately.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:26 pm 

WWboy, from a female perspective and in the "metoo" era, I would say if you are worried about this happening again, bring it up to the PT. Like you mentioned in your post, just say you apologize for the involuntary reaction as only your wife has touched you. I bet the PT will be understanding and professional in response. In no way should this stop you from accessing help!! That would be a shame. No need to excuse yourself for a bathroom break and interrupt your session. Keep focusing on the exercises they teach you and don't worry about it. I am also pursuing biofeedback/pelvic floor exercise. Keep sharing your progress!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:08 am 

icgirl wrote:
WWboy, from a female perspective and in the "metoo" era, I would say if you are worried about this happening again, bring it up to the PT. Like you mentioned in your post, just say you apologize for the involuntary reaction as only your wife has touched you. I bet the PT will be understanding and professional in response. In no way should this stop you from accessing help!! That would be a shame. No need to excuse yourself for a bathroom break and interrupt your session. Keep focusing on the exercises they teach you and don't worry about it. I am also pursuing biofeedback/pelvic floor exercise. Keep sharing your progress!

Thank you for sharing your perspective! I'm not sure I could be honest about it with her. It's a scary and risky thought to me in my mind :/ Trying to excuse myself for "the bathroom" feels safer... At the same time, I'm guessing that if I told her I was getting a strong urge to pee, she would want me to try to do some of the breathing and kegal exercises she's been talking with me about... But if she had me do that, at least she might take her hands away long enough for me to focus on trying to get the unwanted response to stop.

I did have another session this week and I did not feel the same unwanted arousal during the appointment. But at the same time, the therapist wasn't working on doing release muscle work around my bladder this week. Instead, she was focused on my upper and mid abdomen. Anyways, I'm feeling some hope about this process... but so far my symptoms seem to be getting worse if anything.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:20 pm 

I do not see physical therapy as a cure for myself; rather, it is just another tool that I use to manage. It is useful, and well worth the effort and embarrassment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:47 am 

Patrick wrote:
I do not see physical therapy as a cure for myself; rather, it is just another tool that I use to manage. It is useful, and well worth the effort and embarrassment.

I’m kind of vacillating between expecting it to help get me past 100% of my symptoms, and on the other hand, hoping it’ll just reduce them. It’s weird. Sometimes in my appointments so far, I’ve felt like the therapist is really still searching for the underlying cause, which may be exactly true. It just feels doubtful to me that anything can help if we don’t know the cause. But maybe it’s like buckshot - throw enough at the problem and something is bound to hit the target.

I’ll keep you up to date. So far, I feel like it’s getting worse, not better...