www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:19 pm 

Ok. I'm revisintign the theory that many if not most episodes are aggravated by stools in my rectum pressing on my bladdeer. I have a VERY LONG history of constipation and occasional fecal accidents.. part of it maay be due to my habit of reduced fluid intake.. a habit I gotta break.. even if it means wetting more. So, to that end i want to remind myself EVERY day to take mirilax to see if over time that increases my bladders good behavior, in step with the nuro treatments. I've been dealing with this long enough, its time to get serious about seeing how to make it better. First step is daily mirliax.. if i don't see easier passed stools and a decrease in episodes, I will ask my doctor to prescribe peristeen.. an anal irrgation system. THat really is a last resort since it really is like flusning out hte bowel, and thus the bowel muscles dont have t do any work.. that might not be a good idea. I don't know. All I know is ive had it with bowel movements that all of a sudden cause an ow ache.. time to find ways to perpetually make my stools soft.. easy to pass. and not likey to push on the bladder.

I know John is a fan of enemas, I use fleet enemas sparingly. More often ive been using glycerin suppositories. does anyone else use something for a bowel program that works well for them?

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:55 pm 

I've tried a lactilose-type solution for my constipation. It draws water into the bowel/stools to soften them up, but the bowels still have to do the job of pushing it all out. The stool is soft, but not oily or just water, which is nice. Works for me. Transit time for me is about 12-14 hours. It will continue to push push push until you relent and let it all out, thus timing is key.

I've taken it sparingly so far, in the hope to get some regularity. But I'm afraid of messes at work - I'm still very much learning and working out a routine with home and work, dealing with my IC issues, and messing a nappy at work currently scares the heck outa me.

My bowels are lazy or stuffed or something - transit normally is about 5 days or so.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:18 am 

Rob,

Yes, constipation causing stool in rectum can contribute to bladder incontinence and particularly bedwetting.

As I have severe chronic constipation, I take Miralax twice a day - mornings and evenings. That helps. Nonetheless, if I have to take opiate pain medications I still become constipated.

The Peristeen system primarily is intended for those who are disabled and must take an enema while seated on the toilet. The system is designed to aid in taking the enema and retaining the enema solution by preventing the enema nozzle (with the inflated cuff) from slipping out of the rectum. Be aware that it is very expensive on a monthly basis and not covered by most health insurance providers. On the other hand, you might try what I will call "enema lite." I mean a traditional gravity flow bag but with only 1 ½ quarts of saline tapwater. It is best to take the enema not on the toilet (why fight gravity?). Try lying down on your left side or in a knee-chest position. Try that without any soap and see whether it works for you. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

You are right in that I continue my daily morning enema regimen. It gets old, but it works so effectively that I continue it. For my book I recently calculated that I have self-administered about 4,400 enemas. :oops: This is with the approval of my physicians. However, as I previously have noted, it is not for everyone. First, you have to be highly motivated. By this, I mean that you are willing to accept the minor unpleasantness of the enemas to avoid the unpleasantness of public fecal accidents and cleanups. :(

--John

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:36 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Rob,

Yes, constipation causing stool in rectum can contribute to bladder incontinence and particularly bedwetting.

As I have severe chronic constipation, I take Miralax twice a day - mornings and evenings. That helps. Nonetheless, if I have to take opiate pain medications I still become constipated.

The Peristeen system primarily is intended for those who are disabled and must take an enema while seated on the toilet. The system is designed to aid in taking the enema and retaining the enema solution by preventing the enema nozzle (with the inflated cuff) from slipping out of the rectum. Be aware that it is very expensive on a monthly basis and not covered by most health insurance providers. On the other hand, you might try what I will call "enema lite." I mean a traditional gravity flow bag but with only 1 ½ quarts of saline tapwater. It is best to take the enema not on the toilet (why fight gravity?). Try lying down on your left side or in a knee-chest position. Try that without any soap and see whether it works for you. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

You are right in that I continue my daily morning enema regimen. It gets old, but it works so effectively that I continue it. For my book I recently calculated that I have self-administered about 4,400 enemas. :oops: This is with the approval of my physicians. However, as I previously have noted, it is not for everyone. First, you have to be highly motivated. By this, I mean that you are willing to accept the minor unpleasantness of the enemas to avoid the unpleasantness of public fecal accidents and cleanups. :(

--John

Why are you embarrassed about enemas John? They are a fact of life for you

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:32 am 

I am not so embarrassed about taking enemas as they are medically approved - but 4,400 of them? :D

--John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:07 pm 

With JD, my gastroenterologist has recommended daily enemas, largely because bulk-forming (Metamucil) laxatives are forbidden for me. I overdose on stool softener, which works, except maybe once every five to six weeks, when it doesn't. I find that GI problems are more challenging than urinary ones. Right now my colon is spasming perhaps two to three times each day, causing near diarrhea; not enough to call a physician, but enough to make me really glad for protection.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:13 pm 

Grr.. i keep forgetting..now im backed up, had a bowel accident in the diaper all liqued..and had to call my dad to get me an enema becausee i was afraid to go out.. why do i do this tomyself?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:40 pm 

Welcome to the frustrations of GI incontinence. I hope this will work for you.