www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:18 pm 

Hi!

For the most part I tend to shy away of overpriced AB/DL/supercap diapers that cost an arm an a leg..like Crinklz, Rearz, ABU simple, etc. But then I started to wonder.. When I have a morning deluge, I can easily SATURATE and cause the padding to fall apart on a Confidry. Could a diaper that is rated even higher take a huge wetting without faliing apart? Maybe they would be useful for long teaching sessions where my bladder is hyperactive but I can't drop everything to go to the toilet. Morning deluges are fairly common, but they don't happen more than once at a time. Just wondering if there would be any value in comfort. Usually after that happens I feel pretty soaked and want to change immediately. Depending on the situation that might not be possible. Does ultra high capacity necessarily equal ultra high fluid acquisition rate?

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:37 pm 

sociologygeek wrote:
...Does ultra high capacity necessarily equal ultra high fluid acquisition rate?

I think this is a really complex question and I would say the quick answers is "not necessarily". Acquisition rate is driven by several factors like SAP to Fluff ratio, top sheet porosity, and probably a few others like the direction of the flood (i.e.pointing up or down), the fold of the diaper, and maybe even the height of the side leak guards.
Also, you have to be really careful about putting too much confidence in the maximum capacity numbers given by the manufacturers. As we all know we usually use only about 50-60% of the diapers maximum capacity so it really depends on the configuration of the diaper's padding too.
I don't have big floods so I can't say which diaper is the best, heck, I've never been able to even come close to over flooding a Dry 24/7 or any other premium diaper during the day. One suggestion would be to try a BetterDry diaper. My only other suggestion would be to add a large cotton pad "stuffer" to your diaper, cotton has a very high acquisition rate and may be just what you need. I use the cotton pad trick in my nighttime diaper and even though I'm a side sleeper I've never had a significant leak get past this combo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:32 pm 

Like you, I also have the "morning deluge" issue. I have found that Better Dry/Crinklz are very capable of handling it and more. At night, I typically use a booster from NorthShore with a Better Dry/Crinklz and together they easily handle my nighttime wetting as well as my morning flood. I always flood within 1-2 steps after getting out of bed, and the only time it gets close to leaking is if I have an unusually heavy night. I will also use a Better Dry when I know I will be sitting for long periods, as they seem to do a good job at preventing side leaks from flooding while sitting. One thing that I have noticed (and maybe it's just me) is that even though they are supposed to be the same diaper, the Better Dry seems to perform a bit better than the Crinklz.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:11 am 

5bugles wrote:
Like you, I also have the "morning deluge" issue. I have found that Better Dry/Crinklz are very capable of handling it and more. At night, I typically use a booster from NorthShore with a Better Dry/Crinklz and together they easily handle my nighttime wetting as well as my morning flood. I always flood within 1-2 steps after getting out of bed, and the only time it gets close to leaking is if I have an unusually heavy night. I will also use a Better Dry when I know I will be sitting for long periods, as they seem to do a good job at preventing side leaks from flooding while sitting. One thing that I have noticed (and maybe it's just me) is that even though they are supposed to be the same diaper, the Better Dry seems to perform a bit better than the Crinklz.

I've actually used BetterDry with very good results. Are they more absorbent than Confidry? I thought they were roughly equal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:01 am 

Sociologygeek,

ConfiDry 24/7 has an ISO absorbency rating of 4,100 ml (138 oz.). BetterDry has an ISO rating of 5,118 ml (174 oz), quite a bit more.

However, note that the ISO absorbency test is a "dunk and weigh" of the total diaper at maximum absorbency, not functional absorbency. For example, the ISO test saturates the rear of the diaper that, for most of us, usually remains dry. However, the figures are very useful for comparison. Maximum useable absorbency probably is around 30% of the ISO rating.

Despite absorbencies, other factors such as rate of absorption, wicking, fit, leak guards, leg gathers, etc. may be the limiting factor in a diaper's maximum useable absorbency.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:14 pm 

5Bugles, how does the BetterDry fit? I've got thick thighs, always have, so even diapers that "fit" my waist size sometimes don't fit me.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:48 am 

Porkchop:
I've got fairly big thighs and the BetterDry fit me just fine. The only issue I have with them is they really swell a huge amount, especially at the front. Even when wearing baggy pants you can often see the bulge and that is the main reason I prefer the ComfiDry 24/7 diapers. That said the BetterDry are awesome and absorb a huge amount, even more than the ComfiDry 24/7, so if that is your main requirement than I'd suggest going with them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:34 pm 

[b]Padded53[/b]

My main requirement is that they work and fit. For me, it's been the 24/7 but I'm open to trying new products which is why I asked! I shall have to get a sample of these and see what happens.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:59 am 
Admin

I have tried almost all the top brands of plain white medical diapers (molicare, abena, confidry etc). My nighttime wetting is very heavy. None of those diapers have held up. I tried medications to reduce my wetting and only ditropan worked. But it quit. I took it for 2 years. The VA buys my diapers and even with my excellent pharmacists its hard to get new diapers approved for a trial. Usually, I have to purchase them for a while to see if they work before I ask the VA to purchase them. The VA buys my Abena M4 and booster pads that I use. But at night, I have found that ABU diapers have worked well. I will not ask the VA to purchase these. Solid white ones are available. We have discussed this before in previous threads and the general consensus was if it works go for it. Nobody is going to see it. I have had to buy patterned diapers before if solids were sold out. They work really well for me and I (for the most part) don’t get leaks. So I can deal with the patterns if need be. As other members have said, if it works, theres no harm in trying it. Nobody will know but you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:25 am 

Whether or not it has prints is a non issue, as ive worn printed diapers before without a problem. the issue is cost.