www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Switching urologists
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:39 am 

So I moved to Chicago this year. In speaking to my new generalist, he wanted me to see their onsight urologist.

Has anyone had any experience with switching urologists? Back in Iowa I went through the urodynamics and absolutely hated it. They also put a scope up there to look at my kidneys and discovered one of them was flat, but nothing to worry about.

In addition to not wanting to relive that “fun” painful experience, I also don’t want to pay for it. I asked my old office to send my medical record to the new office, but I am not sure if the urologist will insist on doing his own tests to come to the same conclusions my previous urologist came to, that I have severe OAB...

Post subject: Re: Switching urologists
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:36 am 
Admin

I’ve been to 3 different urologists. The first was back in 2009. I had a cystoscopy, urodynamics, lab work, etc. That was in TX. Then I moved to FL. My incontinence worsened so I sought a new urologist in 2012. This one did a PSA and prostate exam, urinalysis, and did another urodynamics. This was because my incontinence worsened. The last time I saw a urologist was in 2017. I went to the Mayo Clinic, which is one of the leading research hospitals in the world, and they are extremely thorough. They did a cystourethroscopy. They also did blood work and urinalysis. But that’s it. Other than that, they just looked at the records I brought and talked to me. Some of these tests were repeats because my condition worsened. Or there were lengthy gaps and they wanted updated information. So depending on how old your records are, your urologist may or may not want to repeat. If your records are old, as some of mine were, they may want to repeat just to see what things look like currently. Mayo looked at my urodynamics from 5 years ago and accepted it. They concurred with the findings and didn’t make me repeat the exam. They repeated the cystoscopy because it had been close to 10 years. Plus it shows the doctors more than just the inside of the bladder. They were able to evaluate sphincter function. So, your new urologist may do what mine did. He/she will probably ask you some questions. They may want to do some simple tests like urinalysis to check kidney function or look for infection. Everywhere I’ve been has done this, repeatedly. And that may be it. Your urologist may just accept your exams and tell you come back if things change.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:03 pm 

Well that was easy...
Don was right. They accepted my old tests, stating my previous doctor was extremely thorough and did everything the urologist here would have wanted. He asked what drugs I had tried and admitted surgery and Botox only had a 60% success, so he said diet are really the only thing to help with urge incontinence.

The only thing that sucked was the exam. I have stripped for exams before, but he asked me to leave my “underwear” on. He gave me a paper sheet to cover myself on the exam table. I have never had anyone other than my wife see me in just a diaper. When it came ins to do the prostate exam he asked if the diaper was for my OAB, and I answered yes, wondering why he would ask that, which triggered a sleu of questions. Basically, he said I if was doing timed voiding, I should be able to last two hours. This would make diapers unnecessary. I told him, it’s rarely longer than hour between voids and sometimes it’s only 15 minutes. I do try to make it to the bathroom as often as I can, but I often don’t make it in time.

So after all that, he wants me to be observant in case of urinary tract infections due to a weird kidney issue, and see him again in a year like my previous urologist.

I was appreciative that he said he would leave to let me regain my dignity. He had ripped the diaper by accident in removing the tabs for the prostate exam and do I was covering myself with the diaper, unable to tape it.

Not nearly the headache I had feared.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:09 pm 
Admin

I’m glad to hear it went well and you are relieved. I honestly don’t sweat it anymore. I’ve had some very invasive tests and many embarrassing ones. Medical professionals have seen my underwear many times. It’s really not a big deal. Sometimes they comment...sometimes they don’t. If they don’t know me, I give them a heads up if I have to disrobe. Just as courtesy. For the most part, most don’t care. It’s just another day at the office. As for diapers, incontinence, and urologists? I was told by one that in their line of work...it’s an occupational hazard. This came after I leaked on the floor from a bladder spasm during a urodynamics. It almost got on the nurse. I felt so bad.