www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:59 am 

Ok, so I'm just curious if anyone else gets similar feelings about their incontinence or is it just me.

Bit of quick background. . . . I have a nerogenic bladder and for the last 6 years I've chosen to manage this issue by wearing a tena slip maxi active fit (PE Backed), an attends booster and pul pants. The reason I wear such heavy protection is because it's not always convenient to change every 2 minutes and I know I can rely on my nappy combination to last me a good 6 hours or more. This is necessary at work especially as I only get one chance to change, usually half way through my shift.

Now, sometimes, when I get to that change point, my nappy will be quite sodden and I can feel the tell tale sign of a little dampness around the legs confirming the need for a change. However, often before I get to that stage, I catch faint whiff of myself every so often. It's not the smell of pee (as my fiancee has confirmed on many occasions), it's the wet nappy smell as we call it.

Most other people have no idea what that smell is so I'm not concerned that people around me will associate that smell with me wearing a wet nappy. Only once in 6 years has my nappy smell arose suspicion and that was in very close quarters with a friend who had just had a baby. She kept checking her baby and it wasn't until my fiancee realised what was going on that she whispered in my ear to go change so I know it's not on most people's radar, however, it's always on my radar.

Now, when I go change midway through my shift, I change as normal being very meticulous in getting clean with baby wipes.I even wipe out my plastic pants with wipes and then dry them with tissue. I'm a bit obsessive about being clean, (usually showering twice a day). if I'm honest, I do love the feeling of getting clean with some fresh cream and a nice dry nappy after some hours of being heavy and wet, more so if I've gotten to the point of slightly damp leg gatherers so I always pay particular attention to cleaning.

However, I can never seem to shake that wet nappy smell for the rest of the day until I get home and get in the shower. I know I'm clean and dry or just slightly damp and my nappy area feels physically clean, but inside, mentally, I feel dirty. My fiancee assures me that I don't smell as bad as I think I do. She will often say that it's only me that can smell it and if she thought I smelled in anyway obvious, she would tell me. I know it's all in my head but once I get that whiff I just feel dirty no matter how dry I am for the rest of the day.

So with all this I was wondering if anyone else gets similar feelings and if so, how do you deal with it? . . . . .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:44 am 

I wear a similar protection combination as you do and I have to say that I rarely ever get any detectable smells. However, I have had a similar situation as yours when I've worn an Abena L4 for over 6 hours. Although I think it's due to Abena's particular type (or lack thereof) of oder reducing agent, once I get a whiff of that strange non-pee smell I too feel wet and unclean even though my diaper hadn't leaked at all.
Here's one additional thought, hair can retain an unpleasant oder and if you are not shaved in your diaper area that could be the source of the problem. I use a Braun M90 battery powered shaver every other day to keep that area free from hair and it has worked very well to eliminate oder in that area. It also makes clean ups much easier too. Hope this helps!