www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:30 am 

I was wondering who out there has and physically active job or lifestyle in spite of having to manage their incontinence? For example, I was a firefighter for over 10 years when my symptoms started and as things progressed I thought I would have to quit and find a new line of work but I found with some quality products and a rethinking of what is possible and most importantly support from friends and family, I could continue to do what I loved. With that confidence I also jumped other hurdles that allowed me to be active in all other parts of fun life. Don't get me wrong, it is not all back to normal but I found ways to find my new normal.
So at this end, who has active and physical lives after incontinence?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:11 am 

I am now retired. However, while I was still working, I managed to live a full life that involved engaging in a number of activities that ranged from speaking before audiences to field work in forests and along roadsides. My diapers enabled me to do everything that I needed to do while keeping my pants dry on the outside. Without the diapers, I would have become a shutin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:29 pm 

My career involved functioning in public, often for hours at a time, with infrequent or no opportunities to use a restroom. My vertigo tended to distract the folks around me from my bulging bottom. However, if I'd had an accident that put a visible stain on my pants, the situation would have become worse. Diapers enabled/enable me to function in public. Diapers are simply necessary items of clothing, like socks or T shirts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:21 pm 

I was active duty Air Force for 22 years. I began losing bladder control about 2 years before I retired. I wore diapers under my uniform many times. Chronic back pain had already sidelined me from any physical activity beyond a brisk walk. Now, I work in a laboratory and wear a diaper under my jeans every day. As far as I know, nobody has ever noticed. The incontinence itself hasn't drastically affected my life. Every now and then, a new doctor will ask if I have tried other treatments for it, but I always respond that it doesn't hurt and isn't going to kill me. I'd much rather wear a diaper than a catheter or live with the side effects of the drugs that don't seem to work anyway.

I don't know if it's my regular personality, or a result of being in the military for so long, but I just tape up my diapers and press on. I feel terrible for the people whose lives are ruined by incontinence. I think of them stuck in the house, in denial or too embarrassed to go outside. My grandmother went to her grave swearing up and down that she wasn't wetting her pants, she just spilled water on them several times a day, and in her bed every night. Her whole house reeked of urine, but she was too much in denial and too proud to wear a diaper. I swore I would never be like that - little did I know that I would be incontinent at 40...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:16 pm 

This is a great thread, as this type of discussion helped me when I made the decision to go 24/7. Knowing that I could continue to have an active and productive life in diapers and continue doing the things I like to do made the decision and transition much easier.

I have been officially retired from my full-time Fire Department job for a week today (Yay!) but am still running a business, involved in local politics, serve on various boards, go to the gym, and soon will start a new part-time gig as a firefighter/paramedic (it stays in your blood). With the exception of having to plan ahead, wearing a diaper has not affected my ability to lead a normal life. In fact it has helped in many ways - I don't worry about accidents in public, I sleep better at night because wet spots aren't waking me up, etc.

I guess I'm similar to RC-UK, in that for the most part I just tape on my diapers and keep going. A handful of people at the FD knew about my situation (and one of the guys walked in on me changing my diaper in the restroom - OOPS! Double check those locks...) and it was never an issue. As far as I know, no one notices that I'm in a diaper, and if anyone has noticed, they never brought it up. I am actually surprised at how much of a non-issue wearing a diaper is. At this point, it has become so routine that my wife doesn't even think about it anymore, either. So yes, you can definitely have an active and fulfilling life while being incontinent!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:27 pm 

I am very active and well known in my line of work. I travel 3-4 weeks a month and give technical talks at shows several times a year. I'm always in the public eye (in my field) and I'm in the airports domestically (US) each week. I also fly internationally about 6 times a year to Asia & Europe. I plan ahead and buy diapers locally when I take longer trips, because my suitcase is too full of clothes. Greater detail- I NEVER give the airlines my luggage, and always use carry-ons. They have destroyed or lost too many things for me over the years.

Yes, I'm active. At home (weekends) my wife has the "honey do" list for me and we often go out to shows and concerts. Incon is a minor issue for me, and becoming more minor to my wife all the time. She needs pads now, and so she has been more understanding of my choice in underwear.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:22 pm 

I became incontinent after I retired however it seems that I do more than when I was working. Once a month I leave home and do a long weekend in my RV to do some astronomy. I play cello in two groups which requires rehearsals and concerts. I have sewn my cloth diapers and made several dresses for my wife. We just returned from Walt Disney World celebrating 50 years together. No one knows I wear a diaper 24/7 except my wife and a very close friend. I do not let wearing a diaper stop me from doing what ever I want. I have accepted my incontinence and I think of a diaper as just my normal underwear.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:39 am 

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I could use some advice. I have not had the best bladder control for many years. Prior to my prostatectomy & diverticulotomy, it was getting a little worse and continues since. As many of us here know, some days are better than others. I am a retired art teacher. Since retirement I have pursued my passion for oil painting, and submitting work to galleries. So, yes I do lead an active life. My question is that my wife and I will be going on a cruise down the Danube River with a number of friends next spring. Some know of my incontinence, but a few may not. Should I tell all those that I will be traveling with of my need for diapers, or try to be as discreet and quiet about it as possible? I would imagine the attendants on board the ship will find out due to disposable diapers in the trash. This has been troubling me for some time as to the appropriate direction to take. I'm almost thinking that I should reveal my situation, and be done with it. Not an easy thing to do, however. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dennis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 am 

On long trips I pack enough supermarket disposable plastic bags and twist ties to accommodate my inventory of disposables. As for "coming out," I try to be as discreet as possible, explaining my situation to my companions only when necessary. However, they are usually more interested, and concerned, about the way I walk than in my choice of underwear.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:15 pm 

Incontinence and diapers haven't slowed me down. In fact, I'm probably busier than I've ever been with work as well as social activities. I'm traveling more frequently for work, oftentimes with colleagues. I haven't told them, and I don't think any of them suspect anything. That said, if I happened to come out of a stall in an airport restroom and was seen tossing a diaper in the trash (I always wrap them in a plastic shopping bag), I would just explain to them that I need diapers for medical reasons. I've been wearing diapers for nearly seven years and no one has ever asked.