www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 pm 

Im hoping to get a response to t this post. Im still in the preliminary program planning stages before fundraising to offiicially found CARE, and im looking for insight and advice. In terms of my target population I had intially only intended the recipients to be youth teen and adults who are incontinent and low income or incontinent and disabled. But, I got a request from a mom whose son was 3 and tube fed and not yet old enough for Medicaid to kick in on diapers. So, from that i decided that I MAY cater to special needs infants and toddlers as well. The idea of establishing a physical brick and mortar diaper bank in the UP im not sure about. It seemed that I might have tacked that on just to get funding. I may collaborate with another individual to start a joint program, but I might be going it alone. The intial budget will most likely be quite limited, so funding will be tight. so, id like to take a poll. How many on this board have incontinence caused by something other than aging?

If this was your startup non profit, what population would you emphaize?
I'm genuinely torn, because the whole reason for founding this was to provide better options for those dependent on medicaid. But the high cost of quality absorbent prodcuts may make it so many people need this, not just the disabeld. But if one has a disability other than incontinence, then they are more in need than those without the disability.

So, what say you all?

Peace out!

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:21 am 

I think that you need to establish a focus. You can’t hope to provide diapers for every category of people who need but have difficulty affording to buy high-quality diapers. Without knowing the situation better, I certainly can’t give definitive advice about what the focus should be. But off the top of my head, I would suggest focusing on incontinent adults under age 65. There are already many programmes to help families with children and elderly people. The programmes for youngsters and elders are not specifically focused on providing diapers, but many of them will do so if need be.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:09 pm 

Inconimiss,

You do have a point about not being ble to provide diapers to everyone under the sun. There are indeed as you say programs in place to help youth. I think what youre saying about providing to individuals under 65 bears out, becuase In all the time i was operatiing i only got one reques from an idividual who was in his 60s.

Most likely the emphasis will be on those who don't have any coverage at all, and those who get medicaid but cant really use the products given. If they are using a lesseer brand but report okay managment, they dont have as much priority as someone who isnnt covered. However, I may in that case give say a bag or two just so they have quality diapers for the times where it might be more necessary (eg school, work), and use the cheap disposables at home.

Would it make sense to have a cap on the number of families served? or have a cap on the number of diapers given out each month?

Thanks for the input!
Peacce out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II