www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Update/Any advice
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:21 pm 

I have posted this a few places online because I figure the more people see it the better chance of advice. I'm getting annoyed with the inconsistency of my issues. Some days I barely need to go to the restroom and when I do I have no problems making it. Some days I have to go every 30 minutes but have good control but still can have a large accident if I don't make it to the toilet within a reasonable amount of time. Some days I leak almost constantly with no controls, and some days I get frequent urges and almost immediately have an accident when the urge hits. Right now I don't know what product to use because I hate wasting products and am dry half the time but also don't want to have to deal with an accident in public. Does anyone have any advice on what products to use or in general how to manage this? I am in college and don't have classes in the morning this semester so usually base how much protection to wear based on how my bladder is acting in the morning usually this works but occasionally has resulted in issues luckily so far nothing major but I always worry about it.

Post subject: Re: Update/Any advice
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:28 am 

Greengold,

My incontinence varies significantly during the day and also somewhat from day to day. Sometimes I can be dry for a couple of hours and have some control and then "lose it" for the rest of the day. During "good" periods I can leave the house briefly with minimal protection. However, I can vary between voluntary and involuntary control of my bladder without noticing it. I also have good and bad days.

Because of the variability I usually am forced to "diaper up" on a worst-case basis, just in case. It comes down to risk management. How much risk of a public bladder accident are you willing to incur?

--John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:50 am 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Greengold,

My incontinence varies significantly during the day and also somewhat from day to day. Sometimes I can be dry for a couple of hours and have some control and then "lose it" for the rest of the day. During "good" periods I can leave the house briefly with minimal protection. However, I can vary between voluntary and involuntary control of my bladder without noticing it. I also have good and bad days.

Because of the variability I usually am forced to "diaper up" on a worst-case basis, just in case. It comes down to risk management. How much risk of a public bladder accident are you willing to incur?

--John

I can deal with a small leak especially if I am wearing dark shorts but anything large I can't really afford to have happen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:52 pm 

I also deal with incontinence that comes and goes. These days, its an occasional occurrence.. but i still have to wear 247 because im still not completely dry. Hell, its been under a year since i wore underwear last.. you just get used to it greengold. If i were you, id find a product that protects in the worst case scenario but can still make toileting possible and stick with it. I wear pocket diapers that make using the toilet a snap. theres also the added benefit of saving it for another day if its not used.. unlike disposables, cloth diapers dont clump up.

Hang in there!

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:40 am 

Hey, I have experienced such inconsistencies as well - although it wsa really long time ago, when I was in my teens, but I remember the frustration coming out for it. I'll just allow myself to say, that wearing diapers 24/7 is much more frustrating than sometimes having bigger leaks and sometimes not, so... it's not that bad :P Do you train kegels for example? I found it to be a great exercise, that has helped a lot people in terms of controlling their bladder - especially those, that were just like you struggling with inconsistent incontinence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:01 pm 

Some advice:

Do not be embarrassed if your bag of spare diapers is searched.

I am at Walt Disney World for my 50 year anniversary. When I went into the parks my back pack was searched. The women looked at my spare diapers and did not seem surprised, it was just another day for her. I then had to go through a metal detector. I told the guard I was wearing suspenders with metal clips. He told me just to go through. The clips did not set off the alarm.

During my time in the park I had to change my diaper. I just went in the men's room, sat in a stall and changed. I put the wet diaper in a plastic grocery bag and dropped in the trash can.

This goes to show that even if you have to wear diapers you can do any thing. Do not let them slow you down. I know that I am incontinent of urine and I do not let it prevent me from doing what ever I want. You can too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 pm 

Hey Greengold

I know how you feel, its tough not knowing what to wear and when to wear. I just try to judge how the day is going to be based on the past couple of days, you might want to keep like a journal and record everything to see if there might be pattern or something. Its also better to be over prepared then under, I know all to well the repercussions of not having enough protection like most people here. Anywho if you want you can PM me and we can discuss more of you want or have any questions that I might be able to answer.