www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:18 pm 

So today, for the first time I decided to wear a full tape on diaper during the day. I felt like it really helped with my worries of having an accident. I actually did stay dry today, but onto the point of why I'm making this post. I usually bike to class. It is 90 plus degrees almost every day here. I found at the end of the day my Abena was damp from the sweat and some of the material had clumped slightly thanks to the sweat and movement. That being said I was wondering if anybody had any advice with how to prevent a high amount of sweating in the diaper area. Also what type of protection do y'all use for doing physical activity and how do y'all manage your conditions while working out?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:09 pm 

If I'm going to be doing strenuous physical activity, truth be told, a pull-up is actually better for this. Plus, if your working that hard and sweating, you're lot likely to be flooding your diaper. This is one place where a pull-up out performs a diaper.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:27 pm 

PB&J32 wrote:
If I'm going to be doing strenuous physical activity, truth be told, a pull-up is actually better for this. Plus, if your working that hard and sweating, you're lot likely to be flooding your diaper. This is one place where a pull-up out performs a diaper.

the issue is I also have several hours between biking to class and biking back so a pull up doesn't work great for that

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:35 am 

Hi greengold4

Sweat is just as problematic as urine and in hot weather I change frequently whether or not I have wet the diaper. Sweat can cause rashes too. As a personal preference I always wear a full tab diaper. In hot weather it is all about air flow so I air out as much as possible. I know this is going to sound daft but I do wear a skort when out for a cycle as helps funnel air in the diaper area. The shorts part acts as a compression to keep the diaper snug to avoid chafing and keeps my diaper hidden too.

Diapers should never be worn for a full day regular changes should take place as the consequences for not doing so are nasty. I also keep my pubic hair extreamly short for two purposes keeps urine/sweat in the diaper, reduces yeast issues and helps with the cleaning and change process.

The below primer post has great advice in this regard.

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/chap6.php

Greenbank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:15 am 

greenbank wrote:
Hi greengold4

Sweat is just as problematic as urine and in hot weather I change frequently whether or not I have wet the diaper. Sweat can cause rashes too. As a personal preference I always wear a full tab diaper. In hot weather it is all about air flow so I air out as much as possible. I know this is going to sound daft but I do wear a skort when out for a cycle as helps funnel air in the diaper area. The shorts part acts as a compression to keep the diaper snug to avoid chafing and keeps my diaper hidden too.

Diapers should never be worn for a full day regular changes should take place as the consequences for not doing so are nasty. I also keep my pubic hair extreamly short for two purposes keeps urine/sweat in the diaper, reduces yeast issues and helps with the cleaning and change process.

The below primer post has great advice in this regard.

http://www.incontinentsupport.org/chap6.php

Greenbank

I've never had any issues with sweat or urine causing me rashes which is weird considring before and after I started having my bladder issues I had frequent iritation from just having bowel movements in the toilet. Sorry if TMI. I think it just varies what causes rashes and iritations in different people. For me I need to to have it last 6-8 hours during the day or I have to change on campus in a public restroom which I will do when absolutely necessary but if I can avoid it I will.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:54 pm 

PB&J32 wrote:

Same here. When I run, I wear a pullup. I find that when running, my bladder calms down....maybe because my brain is focused on other muscles rather than messing with me bladder.

I always double void right before running just to minimize the chance of an accident on the treadmill at the gym and I haven't had problems this way yet.

I do like to hike and stuff a bit in the summer too though and I need my regular diaper for that. It can be in the 90s and humid here in the summer to so the diaper can be very hot. Just part of it though I guess.

After doing anything that gets me real sweaty though, like mowing the lawn in the 90 degree heat, I'll change my diaper even if it's not needed. Gives the skin a chance to dry out and get some air.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:52 pm 

MikeJames wrote:
PB&J32 wrote:

Same here. When I run, I wear a pullup. I find that when running, my bladder calms down....maybe because my brain is focused on other muscles rather than messing with me bladder.

I always double void right before running just to minimize the chance of an accident on the treadmill at the gym and I haven't had problems this way yet.

I do like to hike and stuff a bit in the summer too though and I need my regular diaper for that. It can be in the 90s and humid here in the summer to so the diaper can be very hot. Just part of it though I guess.

After doing anything that gets me real sweaty though, like mowing the lawn in the 90 degree heat, I'll change my diaper even if it's not needed. Gives the skin a chance to dry out and get some air.

My issue is that I ride my bike about a mile or two to class then have classes for 6-8 hours before biking back if I'm just exercising normally I agree with using a pull up probably being ideal it will probably be what I do when my soccer refereeing starts back up in the winter, but with my classes in case I have a large accident which are rare but I know happen to me occasionally, I think it is safer for me to be wearing a tape-on diaper rather than a pull up

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:52 pm 

greengold4 wrote:
MikeJames wrote:
PB&J32 wrote:

My issue is that I ride my bike about a mile or two to class then have classes for 6-8 hours before biking back if I'm just exercising normally I agree with using a pull up probably being ideal it will probably be what I do when my soccer refereeing starts back up in the winter, but with my classes in case I have a large accident which are rare but I know happen to me occasionally, I think it is safer for me to be wearing a tape-on diaper rather than a pull up

Then I'd just wear a pullup on the bike and stop in the restroom before class and put a proper diaper on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:36 pm 

MikeJames wrote:
greengold4 wrote:
MikeJames wrote:

Then I'd just wear a pullup on the bike and stop in the restroom before class and put a proper diaper on.

It seems like a waste to wear a pull up for just a 20 minute bike ride. Anyways I don't stop sweating right away so the diaper would likely still get fairly damp from my sweat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:11 am 

[/quote] seems like a waste to wear a pull up for just a 20 minute bike ride. Anyways I don't stop sweating right away so the diaper would likely still get fairly damp from my sweat[/quote]

Although it seems like a waste to change an "unused" diaper, it may be your best choice. I was FI before I became double incontinent. Initially I tried wearing the same diaper all day long when I did not have an accident, but soon learned that I was getting rashes from the heat and perspiration. Doubly so if I had exercised in the same diaper. I learned that, for me, it was necessary to wash and change the diaper once to avoid rashes from sweat in the diaper.

--John