www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:12 am 

Rob, as someone who deals with messy diapers a lot, I can say you're 100% correct. I do virtually the same thing with some minor differences.

For me, I like to first off, get my shoes off. If I have the ability to do it without sitting I'll try. Sometimes I fall over and spread out everything in the diaper unfortunately but that's just a risk. Other times I just sit to take off my shoes because it's not worth the time. Then I try and get my trousers off. Sometimes I can do it standing sometimes not. Then I get all my other clothes out of the way because they need not get any poop on them. Get my wipes, creams, etc into the bathroom. I either squat or lay on my back and start the diaper change. After first making sure everything is out of my system. Any additional pee or poop. Just to get my monies worth. So when I start, I try and wipe off any of the mess using possibly a clean or just wet part of the diaper. Wet part isn't that bad, it does a fairly good job. Then I progress to wipes if needed. Move my way into the shower spread the cheeks and let the water clean between there and my anus and then I let any other diaper region get cleaned up, regardless if they got mess on them or not. Take a regular shower. Get out, bag up the messy diaper, air out for a little and then diaper back up! It's just my go routine and it always works out well for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 pm 

At home I have a bidet shower so I clean up as much as I can over the toilet and use the bidet shower, it's really effective, gets everything off. The wrist accidents to clean up are the ones I have while I'm sitting because it spreads everywhere sometimes so those cleanups take more careful wiping and cleaning up before changing to a new diaper. This is a really big problem when I'm at college because if I have an accident during class or while seated anywhere I'll be spending a really long time in the toilet, even though my campus had a handicap bathroom it still takes way too long to clean up ...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:44 pm 
Admin

Whenever I have a bowel accident, I just keep it simple. I remove my shorts first. I get my wipes out. I use adult washcloth wipes from my local pharmacy. They are large and cover a lot. I take my diaper off and sit on the toilet. Then I put my gloves on and clean myself. I throw the soiled wipes back into the diaper. When I'm all clean, I take the gloves off, throw those into the diaper and roll it up and seal it. Then I stand up, put on a new diaper, then my shorts, and throw away all the soiled supplies. I can't say I've ever made a big enough mess to require all kinds of incontinence pads on the floor and removing everything from the bathroom. That sounds way too complicated.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:58 pm 

Good ideas everyone.

As I have suggested before, first complete the void. Take the time to be sure that your accident is complete before beginning to remove your diaper. Otherwise you may encounter a final bowel spasm you were not anticipating. :(

When possible, I prefer to remove a messy (or poopy, if you prefer) diaper in the shower. I try to slide the still-taped diaper down over my hips with contents intact to the shower floor without spilling the contents. I then use disposable wipes, a lot of them, to remove all of the fecal matter. Then, depending on how bad the accident was, I either wash thoroughly with a washcloth or shower from the waist down with a hand-held shower head. I should note that, as I use a zinc oxide barrier cream, none of the fecal material is in direct contact with my skin, so I do not have rash problems.

My big problem is balance - due to an accident I find it very difficult to remove my shoes, trousers, and plastic pants without having to sit down. When I do, of course, it forces the fecal matter up around my privates and up the crack of my buttocks to the waist of the diaper (and sometimes over). Double Yuck. :(

I can't believe that we all are reading and writing about such a "taboo" topic (but I am glad that we are). Anyone who is not incontinent might find us to be a bit strange - or worse. Thankfully, in this forum we are able to offer tips and receive emotional assurance that others are coping with this same affliction. I think I have told you guys things I have not even mentioned to my wife! :oops: (fortunately she is not reading this forum)

--John

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:30 pm 

JDinVirginia wrote:
Good ideas everyone.

As I have suggested before, first complete the void. Take the time to be sure that your accident is complete before beginning to remove your diaper. Otherwise you may encounter a final bowel spasm you were not anticipating. :(

When possible, I prefer to remove a messy (or poopy, if you prefer) diaper in the shower. I try to slide the still-taped diaper down over my hips with contents intact to the shower floor without spilling the contents. I then use disposable wipes, a lot of them, to remove all of the fecal matter. Then, depending on how bad the accident was, I either wash thoroughly with a washcloth or shower from the waist down with a hand-held shower head. I should note that, as I use a zinc oxide barrier cream, none of the fecal material is in direct contact with my skin, so I do not have rash problems.

My big problem is balance - due to an accident I find it very difficult to remove my shoes, trousers, and plastic pants without having to sit down. When I do, of course, it forces the fecal matter up around my privates and up the crack of my buttocks to the waist of the diaper (and sometimes over). Double Yuck. :(

I can't believe that we all are reading and writing about such a "taboo" topic (but I am glad that we are). Anyone who is not incontinent might find us to be a bit strange - or worse. Thankfully, in this forum we are able to offer tips and receive emotional assurance that others are coping with this same affliction. I think I have told you guys things I have not even mentioned to my wife! :oops: (fortunately she is not reading this forum)

--John

Yeah, every time I change I get that disgusted feeling....... It's not a feeling you can't avoid......

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:01 pm 

Ago I've been wondering whether anyone has any tips for if your having an accident while seated, is there anything which can be done to make the clean up easier.... Or faster ..... A lot of this happens when I'm at class and I waste a lot of time cleaning up and changing ......

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:48 pm 
Admin

Hi Mia. The way I do it only takes a few minutes. Most of the elapsed time is spent making sure I'm done having my accident once I get to the bathroom, As well as cleaning up with wipes. The wipes I use are large and can clean up well with a lot of surface area. Once I'm done going, cleanup only takes me a few minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:06 pm 

When I have to sit and end up spreading the mess all over my genitals and up my back, I just have to try and use the most of the wipe as I can. I try and just get as much as I can with one wipe at a time, sensibly that is. And using a clean or only wet part of the diaper to try and get some of the larger mess off. That's about all I can say on that front.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:13 pm 

I see, it's someone's worrying when I have a large accident because it can cause a UTI, but I'm pretty careful.... Hopefully it doesn't happen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:26 am 

Hi Mia. I'm 23 and have been double incontinent since I was 17.

I invariably use tape-on diapers, usually toward the upper end of the market.

For cleanup, I would recommend carrying a lot of baby wipes and a supply of plastic gloves. Plastic pants provide some extra protection - although they are not absorbent. At home, I would recommend a detachable showerhead (and also living in a house with good water pressure, but that's not really something you can change on the fly).

I would also recommend hoarding shopping bags and/or garbage bags. Those are good to put your diapers in before you throw them out - they will block vision and, to some extent, for a short time, smell. If you have invasive neighbours like mine, this can be very useful.