www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:28 pm 

I soon am returning to college soon. I am a male and suffer from occasional daytime urge incontinence caused by an OAB and quite often heavy nighttime wetting. I live in an apartment so have my own room and share a bathroom with one other person. Does anyone have any advice about how to manage this? I am worried I will have an accident while in class. I would love to hear from anyone with advice or who has had similar expieriences.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:25 am 

How occasional is the daytime issue? Could you wear a pull-up, just in case? Would that cover it, or out is a large void when it happens?

I'm only a nighttime wetter, and my college years were my least eventful period (thank God).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:59 am 

The daytime issue just depends typically it is just small leaks although especially when I am in bed about to fall asleep I am prone to large surges

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:44 am 

A quality pull-up should suffice, along with a heavy tabbed diaper with extra pads and a waterproof pant at night. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:35 pm 
Admin

I graduated a few years ago from university. I also suffer from OAB, nocturnal enuresis, and urge incontinence. It was helpful to me to map out all the restrooms in the buildings where my classes were. I carried a traditional backpack with, along with my books, spare supplies containing a few diapers, wipes (I use adult disposable washcloths from my local pharmacy commonly found in the incontinence isle), and A&D or such. The diapers I used were Abena M3's. I made sure to use the restroom before class. I know longer classes of more than an hour or so give breaks in session to get water and/or use the restroom. Good time to change if need be. I drove to the student parking lot and kept more supplies and a change of clothes in the trunk of my car. This way, I could refill my supplies in between classes in case I was having a bad day. I didn't live on campus. I commuted from home so I didn't have a roommate. Overall, I had a good system and it was pretty easy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:44 pm 

Patrick wrote:
A quality pull-up should suffice, along with a heavy tabbed diaper with extra pads and a waterproof pant at night. Good luck.

Where would be a place I could find waterproof pants? I haven't tried using them before luckily I haven't had too many problems with leaks

Don wrote:
I graduated a few years ago from university. I also suffer from OAB, nocturnal enuresis, and urge incontinence. It was helpful to me to map out all the restrooms in the buildings where my classes were. I carried a traditional backpack with, along with my books, spare supplies containing a few diapers, wipes (I use adult disposable washcloths from my local pharmacy commonly found in the incontinence isle), and A&D or such. The diapers I used were Abena M3's. I made sure to use the restroom before class. I know longer classes of more than an hour or so give breaks in session to get water and/or use the restroom. Good time to change if need be. I drove to the student parking lot and kept more supplies and a change of clothes in the trunk of my car. This way, I could refill my supplies in between classes in case I was having a bad day. I didn't live on campus. I commuted from home so I didn't have a roommate. Overall, I had a good system and it was pretty easy.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

Another question, by the way, what is a good product to use when working out, running and biking?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:05 pm 
Admin

Personally, I don't run. But I do bike. I just wear a regular diaper with a pair of athletic shorts. Same thing for going to the gym. You could also invest in a pair of bike shorts for cycling. They will act like compression shorts with more padding in the seat.

For your other question, I prefer Garywear PUL covers. Plastic pants are hot as opposed to polyurethane laminate (PUL) is more breathable. They go for between $23 - $29 depending on your size.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:15 pm 

Where do you buy the PUL pants from?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:25 pm 

Just to Echo what Don said... i just fished up a 2 year AA degree at a local community college. I would suggest you talk to the the Students with disabilities office so they can make arrangements for late arrival if you get stuck in a bathroom changing. when i was in school i had 2 bags with me 1 in the car with Oh Crap clothing. and half bag of diapers then i had a Rolling backpack with my laptop and diapers, Northshore countoures Doublers, A back up catheter for bad days and wipes.

I did take a lots off coffee for the 7am class they was boring as hell. I second the Gary wear pants i just discovered these last year and used then during my interneship and they saved my butt...

Saving the world one family at a time, restoring hope though compassion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 pm 

I agree with the recommendation for PUL pants. I too have several pairs of Gary PUL pull-on pants and really like them, but in the hot summers I prefer to use the Leakmaster side-snap PUL pants. I find the spaces between the side snaps allow a bit more air circulation and are noticeably cooler than the pull-on style. Of course the side-snap style isn't good for night time use if you are a side sleeper.

You also might try a high quality pull-on diaper like the Abena Abri-Flex Premium with an added booster or Guard Pad. This will allow you to use a bathroom when available or just use the pad/diaper combination when necessary. The pad can also be easily removed when full and you can either add another pad or just use the remaining capacity of the diaper.