www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wet bed - so frustrating
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:04 am 

Hi all,
Dealing with incontinence is a rollercoaster, sometimes it's a small rollercoaster, sometimes it's a bigger one. I try always to be as good as possible prepared. Wearing diapers to bed is no issue for me anymore. Wearing plastic pants is no issue anymore. But when you are well protected and than you wake up in a wet bed... that makes me sometimes very frustrated. I guess I need to improve my protection even more, double check all is leak-proof so to say. Boy, it was one of those mornings again. You just wonder " what else can I do?....".
Cheers,
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:33 am 

Been there, Bob.

Just keep experimenting until you find what works for you. With disposables, I added a more absorbent booster pad, sometimes double-diapered, and sometimes wore two pair of PUL pants over the diaper.

My final and permanent solution was to change completely to cloth diapers at night - 14 months ago. During those 420 nights I have experienced only three leaks and they occurred when I did not completely cover all of the cloth diaper with my plastic pants. I now think I have learned to avoid even those rare leaks.

Until you find a solution, consider placing your absorbent pad on top of your sheets. At least that way most of the time you will not have to launder the bed linens.

Good luck!

--John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:08 am 

Odd, it happened to me this morning, too.

I was double cloth diapered but got out of bed to find a large wet spot on my sweat pants that I had worn to bed. Evidently my plastic pants weren't fitting properly in the legs and there was a gap in the elastic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:08 pm 

finding the right diaper is key. I am a heavy night time wetter and wear Abena L4 to bed along with compression shorts. I rarely leak and when I do it's usually out the top of the diaper bc it sometimes folds down. I don't agree that cloth is the only way to go or that you need a booster in your disposable and plastic pants. If you get the right fit, most premium disposables are up to the task.

As someone who went from not being a bedwetter to waking up in drenched bedding every single day, I can handle a few small leaks here and there. I have chux under my sheets so if I do have a leak, it's a just the sheets that need to be washed. I typically only go the booster route if I'm sleeping at someone else's house and need the extra confidence, and even then I always bring a disposable under pad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:40 pm 

MikeJames wrote:
finding the right diaper is key.

Here here!

As a very heavy wetter, and a side sleeper, I tried cloth but found they needed to be so thick I started getting hip problems. I also tried all kinds of disposables, but not even confidry was enough- until I figured out how to use a baby diaper booster with it.

Just recently I did find one diaper that actually does work good on its own though. It's a new EU imported diaper that is still exorbently high priced though. Plus it is marketed/designed as an AB diaper, which I know would turn away a lot of people on its own too.

For anyone still curious or thinks form follows function, it's called Crinklz. They are not too thick to start off with, but have the most sap I've ever seen in a diaper! They swell up a LOT, but I believe this is what's actually helping to contain my pee and prevent it from leaking. While this is the one diaper that works for me overnight, even I wouldn't want to wear them out of the house though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:22 am 

B Brian wrote:
I tried cloth but found they needed to be so thick I started getting hip problems.

When wearing heavy-weight night diapers with a booster pad, I encountered the same problems Brian mentions. I found that placing a very thick pillow between my legs and knees completely solved the problem. :D I will emphasize the word "thick" as a thin pillow may not be adequate.

--John

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:59 pm 
Admin

A layer to absorb in between the disposable, and the plastic pants should help, be it regular underwear, or a cloth diaper, on the thinner side to avoid the massive bulk. Trial and error, and yes, been there too :-( Puffy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:18 am 

This is what works for me.

Diaper high capacity
Booster pad
Compression pants - keeps things snug
Terry pants absorbs any leaks
Waterproof cover
Onesie

Greenbank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:43 pm 

For me as a heavy night wetter this works, though some leaks are bound to occur:

ConfiDry 24/7

Highest quality abena booster

Abena mesh pants

Ensure the leak guards are snugged right up in my crotch

Use a plaid waterproof mattress pad I got at Personallydelivered.com (I'm still using ones I bought six years ago). Have one on top of the bottom sheet and another for insurance between the bottom sheet and my mattress which is encased in a waterproof cover.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:28 pm 

jaytee wrote:
For me as a heavy night wetter this works, though some leaks are bound to occur:

ConfiDry 24/7

Highest quality abena booster

Abena mesh pants

Ensure the leak guards are snugged right up in my crotch

Use a plaid waterproof mattress pad I got at Personallydelivered.com (I'm still using ones I bought six years ago). Have one on top of the bottom sheet and another for insurance between the bottom sheet and my mattress which is encased in a waterproof cover.

Hope this helps!

what I bolded is key IMO. When I put my diaper on, I pull the leg gathers in close between (sorry TMI warning) my scrotum and thigh before taping. I can get a really tight seal now and rarely leak wearing only an Abena L4. I think most leaks are the result of a gap forming in that area especially when side sleeping.

Boosters are good because they help slow the delivery of urine to the diapers leak vulnerable spots and spread/wick it out over a larger area. The key here again is making sure the booster stays inside the leak guards.