www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not telling a friend
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:07 pm 

I am not sure why, but I am intensely personal about my incontinence. My wife is even more so than me and does not want me telling anyone under any circumstances.

Nevertheless, I was rooming with my best friend who doesn’t know about my incontinence issues this week for a work retreat. I resolved not to tell him, but if he found out I would explain. For this, I brought two small suitcases, one for clothes and the other for diapers. I changed carefully whenever he was out of the room and at night I wore compression shorts over my diaper and shorts over that.
I was certain I would get caught, but I never did. Or, he just didn’t say anything. But I don’t think he did because he is always looking out for me and helping me, oftentimes in a jocular manner. He would have wanted to talk about it and make sure I was ok.

So, I guess it is possible to hide in plain sight, even with someone close to you.

Has anyone else taken a similar tack of hiding in lieu of talking? Has it ever backfired?

I was ready to talk if it it proved necessary, but it didn’t. One reason I haven’t brought it up, is that I imagine my friend would tease me in a good way. I doubt he would ever out me to anyone, but sometimes he makes jokes. If d rather my incontinende and need to wear protection not be one of them.

Post subject: Re: Not telling a friend
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:10 pm 

Every year one of best friends and I go to a out of town hobby event that usually lasts 3 or 4 days and we room together. During the previous two years my incontinence had gotten to the point that I was having to wear some form of protection. And not wanting to tell him about my incontinence I hid the fact in exactly the same way you did, and I was able to keep my situation secret just as you did. However since then my incontinence has progressed to the point where I'm now wearing thick tape up diapers most of the time and I figured it was probably going to be difficult to keep my IC issues secret. Especially so since this year the event was going to be a full week, and to be honest I was getting kind of tired of "sneaking around" trying to keep my diaper a secret. So as I explained in a previous post of mine I told my friend about my issues while driving to the event. Yeah, I was concerned about how he would react but it turned out great and I found it lowered my anxiety level for the whole week. OK it worked out great for me but it's such a personal thing that you have to do what feels right to you.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:34 pm 

Thanks, Padded.

I was wearing Betterdrys so it wasn’t a matter of thickness, as they are pretty thick, especially when wet.

I am sure it would lower anxiety a bit, but there is still that part of me that wants to keep this private.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:00 pm 

Wow, you were able to conceal a wet Better Dry, I'm impressed! :o I've just started using them and you are so right, they swell up huge when wet. I don't worry too much about "concealment" when out and about in public but these are really making me start to wonder if I'm being a bit too obvious.