www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Flying while nappied
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:35 pm 

I agree with the disposal bag trick- I've done it many times. I do 4-6 trans-oceanic flights per year, and usually 2-3 domestics per week the rest of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:47 am 

Due to the unpredictability of my issues and since often on planes getting up to use the toilet when the urge hits isn't an option. I usually use protection just in case. I do the same on long car trips which for me the drive to the airport is an hour and a half. Normally if I have had any issues while heading to the airport I find a family restroom to take off the wet brief before heading through security and then after that but on a dry one in the terminal. The one time I was running late and didn't have time to. I ended up getting a rather embarrassing pat down from the TSA thankfully I was able to quietly explain my condition and the guy was very professional about it but for anyone else who flies if possible make sure you are as dry as possible heading through security.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:45 pm 

Never forget to change before going through airport security...

So, in the dozens of flights I have taken, I have never had an issue. Usually, there's no issue, the machine rarely picks up a diaper when I step into the scanner. But today was different. My nighttime diaper was not wet (I had changed in the middle of the night), so I thought I could get by without changing until after I got through security... Instead, I got the TSA agent who was annoyed at all the pat-downs he had to do. He asked me repeatedly if I had anything in my pockets. I said, "No, I am wearing protection." He didn't seem to get it as he asked again why there was padding on my backside. Quietly I repeated with the clarifier, "I am wearing incontinence protection." Again, he didn't get it, so despite the fact that I passed the residue test, I was told I have to go to a private room screening. He asks me again, "What do you mean 'protection?'" Exasperated, I whisper, "a diaper. I am wearing a diaper due to incontinence."

So he brings a second screener who says he also has to pat me down. He asks if this has ever happened to me before, and I say no. He asks if I am wearing shorts, and I said, "No... No I am not." He then asks if I have any diapers in my bag so he can gauge what it is under my pants... I produce one of my betterdrys. Again, I get patted down, again I pass the residue test. I think they were as embarrassed as I was.

So, my being stingy cost me twenty minutes and a lot of embarrassment. I am guessing, my sweat caused enough liquid to set off the screener. Lesson learned. Always change just before security.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 pm 

The only time I went through airport security with a wet diaper was on a trip back from LA, when traffic took a lot longer than expected to get to the airport. I didn't have time to change before security. After the nudie scanner triggered on the wet diaper, during the pat down the agent started groping around my crotch asking if there was anything there, I said "Only my diaper, and it's a bit wet." He turned a brighter shade of red than I was. I was sent along shortly with minimal further questions.

I'm not sure using the phrase "protection" or other euphemisms is best when dealing with them. The biggest thing I discovered about effectiveness when having to write (or generally communicate) with the public was "Big fonts, little words". Direct always seems to be the best choice.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:51 am 

Mike, you may be right. I just didn’t want to cause a scene.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:20 pm 

Just got back from a trip. For the first time ever, my carryon bag was pulled for additional (manual) screening following X-ray. The container of baby powder (Anti Monkey Butt) triggered the additional inspection. The screener did a chemical test on the powder and the container to make sure it wasn't something dangerous. She saw the diapers in the bag, but didn't say anything. The baby powder passed the "bomb/poison" test, and I was allowed to go on my way. This occurred only on the outgoing flight (PDX to TPA with a connection in STL), but not on the return flight (TPA to PDX with a stop in MDW). I've been on many flights with this baby powder in my carryon bag, but this is the first time it's ever created an issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:37 pm 

I flew home yesterday and for the first time heard the TSA people tell us travelers we must remove bottles of protein powder from our luggage.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:59 pm 

I just finished my first round-trip flight in diapers, and am happy and relieved that there were no issues. Well, there was one...the only issue was that I when I removed my belt and went through the scanner my shorts (one size too big of course) started sliding down, so I'm pretty sure my diaper showed when I had to raise my arms in the scanner, LOL! Lesson learned on the shorts... But as far as any issues with being diapered, it was all good. No one batted an eye.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:28 am 

A few months ago I had to fly through Amsterdam. It was a mess in the road, a mess at the airport surroundings and when I entered the airport.... wow. You see this rarely at Amsterdam airport as this is one of the better organized airports in the world. But as you can imagine I was racing against time. I had to jump queues to be in time for my plane to America. Ad a result I had not change my diaper in time. I went through the scan and indeed I was pulled to the side. As it was so busy at that moment they had to spend their time in a balanced way. The gentleman looked at me and asked me if he could pad me down. I answered him that this was no problem and that we all have to do our job. I think he was satisfied and as a joke he held my arm muscles. He said "Sir, this looks good" . I had to laugh and he let me through. I think we both knew the situation and I thanked him for the joke. This was not the first time I almost had an embarrassment at the airport, but I know they are used to it. They have seen my diapers several times nicely tugged away in a black zipper bag. All ok, never any bad word or shameful situation. Bob

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:54 am 

Well, as the French say l’histoire se répète . Today a massive queue at Düsseldorf airport. Queues for 1:30 hours just to drop my suitcase. I had no time left to change my inco pants. For sure the body scanner picked it up. The security official checked gracefully my body and no questions asked. Sometimes you just can’t do what you planned to do and take it as it comes. I was ready to explain, but it was not necessary. I just didn’t care. Again a professional security officer. Well done. Cheers Bob