www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Flying while nappied
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:07 pm 

I'm back from my two week trip (Alaska) which my Wife and I really enjoyed and everything went pretty well diaper-wise. For the long flights up and back I used an Abena Abri-Flex (pull-up) with an Assurance Male Guard. That combo worked well pretty well and I only had to remove the pad part way through each flight and then was able to get by with using the on-board toilet or the pull-up. I was a little nervous though after removing the pad since I don't trust pull-ups much after one good void, even the Abena, however I had no leaks so all was good.

During the trip I tried to use the same Abena pull-up+pad combo as there was usually a toilet easily available, but for some reason I seemed to develop significantly increased frequency but with much smaller amounts. Even though a toilet was usually readily available it was really a pain to have to use it every hour, and sometimes even more often. Unfortunately I didn't bring many regular diapers with me so I was only able to switch back to my usual diaper+pad combo a few times, but what a relief (figuratively and literally) that was. I was actually happy to have regular diapers to wear! Fortunately there were no other symptoms of something being really wrong. The frequency thing really caught me off guard as that has never happened to be before and since I was trying to get by with pullups+pads I wasn't really prepared for it. The good news is that now that I'm back home the frequency issues have stopped and everything is back to "normal".

I was trying to reduce my volume of luggage by using pull-ups and the toilets but I guess I've learned my lesson and next time I think I will just go with premium diapers like a ComfiDry 24/7 and deal with the extra volume. One of those will usually last me at least 6-8 hours and then I won't even have to bother with those tiny cramped airplane/bus toilets or dashing off to find one. OK, i guess that's just one more "diaper lesson" learned.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:08 pm 

Hey, that's great that it worked out for you. I'm not that flying that much like I used to, but I had some problems before, especially when I was younger and I did travel quite a bit I was very often unprepared - like on my first fly I didn't take any spare diapers with me, left all of them in the luggage and couldn't get it obviously. Flight was pretty long - 7,5hours and as I'm double incontinent - then yeah, I had some hiding to do, so I occupied toilet for most of the time :P Especially as the stress came and all those factors started to bear fruit my incontinence was definitely worse than on average day when I was not flying. I'm much more prepared now and don't do such stupid mistakes anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:51 am 

Good to know, as we will be flying to Jamaica in a few months! Was wondering how that would all play out, so very glad to see this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:35 pm 

I just returned from a cross-country business trip (PDX to ATL and back). No issues with TSA at either airport. PDX was using body scanners, but ATL was so busy that we were being herded through the metal detector and the body scanners were not in use.

During the return flight, the descent into PDX was very turbulent due to a very thick layer of rain clouds. The plane dropped sharply several times. I wet the diaper but I didn't feel the release(s) when it(they) occurred...just the wetness in the diaper after it(they) occurred. Apparently, my bladder doesn't like sudden drops in altitude!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 am 

how do you deal with going through airport security in a nappy?

I usually just make sure that I'm dry and clean.

I tend to dress differently in the terminal actually - because there's a good chance of being kept waiting on edge for hours without realistically being able to access a toilet, I wear more absorbent diapers and looser pants. Better than the alternative.

how do you deal with changing on the aircraft? Also, surely the whole aircraft will see me walking to the toilet with a nappy in hand?

In my country, Australia, you're allowed to take your carry-on into the toilet. No idea about the UK or US.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:29 am 

Here in the USA, airplane lavatories are small and are getting smaller. It is hard enough just using the toilet (you have to back into the lavatory from the aisle as there is not enough room to turn around once inside with the door locked). Fortunately, I haven't had to change a diaper in one yet, and I hope that I never have to. Thank goodness for high-capacity, extended-wear diapers and boosters. Given my size, the best I could probably do is to pull out and discard a saturated booster.

And, it's going to get even worse. New Boeing 737MAX planes ordered by American Airlines are being spec'd with lavatories that are only 24" wide and have a sink so small that only one hand can be washed at a time while splashing water all over yourself.
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/01/1 ... ories.html

All this so AA can cram 10 more shallow, thinly-padded seats on the plane with even less legroom than ever before. USA planes have turned into city buses with wings and a tail. It's a race to the bottom in terms of service and comfort, all for the sake of cutting costs and maximizing profits.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:45 am 

Hi Mike,
My solution is to not fly AA or United. Anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:08 pm 

Hey everyone just wanted to give you all an update. I'll be going on my first flight during all this incontinence stuff started, I'm not to worried about it but just wanted to let you all know. Sorry for piggy backing on this thread

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:15 am 

I've flown all over the world while wearing nappies. I've never had any issues. I've had my bag searched a few times but I always make sure that my changing supplies are in full view within my bag so it eliminates the need for the security guards to go rooting through to find things, that way no-one in the line is going to be any the wiser.

I too have changed in the plane toilets. It's deffo a squeeze. I usually take a rucksack as hand luggage and when I need to change, I just get my bag out the top locker and take it to the toilet. No-one is any the wiser as to what is going on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:14 am 

When I fly I will have several diapers and/or pads in my carry on already in plastic shopping bags. If I have to change I just take an already pre-packed bag out of my carry on and take it into the bathroom to change. I've never been asked what I'm carrying but if asked I would just say they are wipes. A plus with using the shopping bag trick is that some passengers get a bit nervous (I know I do) when they see someone take something large into a airplane bathroom. Anyway, after changing I wrap the used diaper/pad in the bag and put it into the trash bin. When I walk out of the bathroom I've got nothing in my hands and nobody is the wiser.
In fact this trick works well in almost any situation, your incontinence supplies are covered and you've got the disposal bag right there with you. Often hiding something in plain sight is the best way to hide something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next