www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flying while nappied
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:35 am 

Hi all,

So I found out yesterday that at the end of this month I'm going to be flying from London to New York for a 4 night stay. A friend of mine is getting married and he suddenly decided he wants me there so badly he'll pay to fly me over. Awesome.

However, the question is, how do you deal with going through airport security in a nappy? I'm concerned that I'll be dragged aside for some particuarly thorough security search.

Then how do you deal with changing on the aircraft? Also, surely the whole aircraft will see me walking to the toilet with a nappy in hand?

That's just the getting there. Once I'm in NYC I'll be staying with my friend at his. I guess I'll have to tell him the problems if I'm changing and disposing of nappies in his bin and also he will want to know why I'm carrying a bag with me every time we go out.

This is a whole minefield I wasn't expecting to have to deal with anytime soon.

Any help from those who have been in this situation would be appreciated please.

Post subject: Re: Flying while nappied
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:59 am 

Hi Drew, I fly on a regular basis continental and intercontinental. For me the are a few things I have to check. First of all you have two types of body scanners. You have the older type which checks only on metal. In that case all will be OK when you wear a diaper. You have as well the new body scan. This one is more sensitive for wet spots and will clearly show off you have a wet diaper. I always change pads or diaper before I go through that scanner. I have forgotten a few times, but that did not lead to any issues. They checked me with a manual check and they could feel that I was wearing some incontinence protection. One time I even apologized I didn't change before the check. I was already on the road for 20 hours, so I was a bit tired...
I have had a few times that they wanted to check my bags. The security could clearly see my diapers which didn't bother them at all. I'm now at the point I don't care of they are them. You can clearly see they are used to it.
While on the plane there's nothing to be afraid of. I put my diapers in a standard toilet bag, as if I'd be taking general stuff to the toilet. I put a diaper on or change myself, all no issue. Knowing I'm good protected I can have a sleep and don't need to worry. Used diapers you can throw away on the bin. It's all pretty small, but good enough.
So it's a bit of preparation, but pretty easy to handle. Have fun in New York. It's a brilliant city !!
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:15 am 

bobcooper wrote:
Hi Drew, I fly on a regular basis continental and intercontinental. For me the are a few things I have to check. First of all you have two types of body scanners. You have the older type which checks only on metal. In that case all will be OK when you wear a diaper. You have as well the new body scan. This one is more sensitive for wet spots and will clearly show off you have a wet diaper. I always change pads or diaper before I go through that scanner. I have forgotten a few times, but that did not lead to any issues. They checked me with a manual check and they could feel that I was wearing some incontinence protection. One time I even apologized I didn't change before the check. I was already on the road for 20 hours, so I was a bit tired...
I have had a few times that they wanted to check my bags. The security could clearly see my diapers which didn't bother them at all. I'm now at the point I don't care of they are them. You can clearly see they are used to it.
While on the plane there's nothing to be afraid of. I put my diapers in a standard toilet bag, as if I'd be taking general stuff to the toilet. I put a diaper on or change myself, all no issue. Knowing I'm good protected I can have a sleep and don't need to worry. Used diapers you can throw away on the bin. It's all pretty small, but good enough.
So it's a bit of preparation, but pretty easy to handle. Have fun in New York. It's a brilliant city !!
Bob

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to change before I go through security. I guess the worst they do is pull you to one side for a private security screening?
I'll make sure I pack a small toilet bag with a few necessaries before I go so I can take that on the plane with me. I'm almost certainly taking cabin baggage only as I'm only going for a few days.

I will enjoy New York. I love that city.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:31 pm 

search the forum for "airport" and you will find many posts about the topic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:16 pm 

I fly quite often too. Unfortunately I've had the misfortune to be running late one time and had to go through security with an absolutely soaked diaper. I was more concerned with making my flight and just didn't care about the body scanner or personal pat down. Luckily it was probably because I didn't care that I made it through with no problem. Yes I was pulled aside for an extra pat down, but I was never even asked about it (I'm sure it was obvious on the scanner). I also keep a few spare diapers in my carry on, which was not even searched beyond the xray machine.

Well I made to the plane just as they were boarding! Of course I desperately needed to change, so I took one of my few carry on diapers out of my bag and took it in hand straight to the restroom as everyone else was still boarding. I doubt anybody even noticed or realised what I had, but even if they did I didn't care.

It was an extremely tight fit for sure, but I was able to change while leaning against the wall. It took a little of contorting due to the tight space, but it was certainly doable. The toilet did have a small trash bin, but my diaper was too big to fit through the opening. Luckily it also had a cabinet door which I was able to open and toss my old diaper in that way.

This was a flight from Florida to Hawaii, and it turns out I needed to change again somewhere over the Pacific. I just got up and took out another diaper from the overhead bin, took in hand again, and went to the bathroom. Thankfully the trash bin had already been emptied and I was able to dispose of my diaper again, as I had before. Nobody ever said anything, nor was my being diapered ever a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:24 pm 

I've taken a few business trips since being in diapers 24/7. It's really a non issue.

I usually wear Northshore Supreme Lites during the day and Abena L4 to bed. On a normal day at work, the Northshore SL will last me from the time I put it on at 8am until very close to lunch time. It's easily a 4 hour diaper with normal fluid intake and my urge incon is pretty bad. I flood when I have accidents and I usually don't bother with toilets for urination anymore. On short flights of 1-3 hours I just wear these. On the occasional cross country (Boston to LA) flight to visit clients I just wear the Abena L4. In each case I just put a new one on after going through security and about 10 mins before boarding starts. On the flight I just keep fluid intake to a reasonable level and I've never had a problem.

I always keep a few diapers in my carry on just in case a flight were to get diverted or stuck on the tarmac for hours on end. I've yet to have to change in an airplane bathroom but I'm sure it's doable despite the confined space.

On a long haul flight I'd probably go all out with the Abena L4 and a booster since I'd try to sleep most of the way and would want to minimize changes in the plane bathroom.

I've not had any security issues either. If the TSA looks in my carry one bag then I guess they'll see some adult diapers, I don't care.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:54 am 

Hi Drew

I would recommend putting your diapers in clear ziplock bags, one diaper per bag that you are takeing onboard in your carry on. it helps to protect the diaper if they decide to serch your carry on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:01 am 

I'm now back from my trip and my worries were all for nothing.
I got to the airport on my way out to NYC and went through security fine, they didn't open my bag and I just walked straight through the detection arch fine. They didn't even pat me down.
On the way back from NYC, I went through the full body scanner and they didn't pat me down after that either.

All that worying for nothing. Thanks all for the advice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:53 am 

Hi Drew

Glad your trip went Well

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:16 am 

Yup, glad to see you found out diapers are no more an issue than you make them.

Did you have to change on the plane though? Now that can be an issue.