www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Changing in public
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:15 pm 

Changing in public has always been a nightmare for me. Not that others might figure out what I'm doing but that I just can't get clean enough for my personal obsession with getting clean. I often have several BM's a day and when possible will wait until I'm home for a proper and complete clean-up. I know, it's gross walking around in a loaded diaper. And I do have a "diaper" bag in my car for when it's necessary. But I would much rather deal with the discomfort of a messy diaper until I get home. If it was just bladder issues I could deal with it. But when it's a BM it's a whole different story.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:28 pm 

jack329 wrote:
Changing in public has always been a nightmare for me. Not that others might figure out what I'm doing but that I just can't get clean enough for my personal obsession with getting clean. I often have several BM's a day and when possible will wait until I'm home for a proper and complete clean-up. I know, it's gross walking around in a loaded diaper. And I do have a "diaper" bag in my car for when it's necessary. But I would much rather deal with the discomfort of a messy diaper until I get home. If it was just bladder issues I could deal with it. But when it's a BM it's a whole different story.

I'm the EXACT same way jack. I really try to avoid all public diaper changes as possible. Mainly because I don't feel I'm ever clean enough. I can probably manage just fine in a bathroom. And I never make too much of a fuss about bathrooms either. Never used a family restroom or anything with a table, I just lean against the wall. But I NEVER feel like I'm clean enough. I know I probably am, but I just don't feel clean down there. Of course when I have to change when out and about I'll do it of course. If I know it would be just quicker to wait until I'm home, I'll just wait until I'm home for a diaper change but I try to not sit in a poopy diaper for very long. Even though it's rare for me to get a diaper rash I don't want to tempt fate. But definitely have a lot in common there.

Slight side bar, I've had to change my diaper in my car once as well. JDinVirgina gave me an adequate guide. Though it wasn't the same. That's not particularly easy and only can be done in the right scenario. He also has the trunk space (I believe) to be able to change in the back, which I envy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:43 pm 

HotDogg55 wrote:
jack329 wrote:

I'm the EXACT same way jack. I really try to avoid all public diaper changes as possible. Mainly because I don't feel I'm ever clean enough. I can probably manage just fine in a bathroom. And I never make too much of a fuss about bathrooms either. Never used a family restroom or anything with a table, I just lean against the wall. But I NEVER feel like I'm clean enough. I know I probably am, but I just don't feel clean down there. Of course when I have to change when out and about I'll do it of course. If I know it would be just quicker to wait until I'm home, I'll just wait until I'm home for a diaper change but I try to not sit in a poopy diaper for very long. Even though it's rare for me to get a diaper rash I don't want to tempt fate. But definitely have a lot in common there.

Slight side bar, I've had to change my diaper in my car once as well. JDinVirgina gave me an adequate guide. Though it wasn't the same. That's not particularly easy and only can be done in the right scenario. He also has the trunk space (I believe) to be able to change in the back, which I envy.

I totally get that feeling, though when your too far from home it just seems like you don't have a choice, even if your ultra clean and all I feel like I need to take a shower always.... But when your not going home anyone soon what choice is there?

I've had really awkward moments where I would have a bowel accident during classes and I just have to leave in the middle of it, I can't stay in it especially if I had the accident while seated >.<

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:09 am 

I carry a backpack usually - I used to carry a messenger bag but I can't fit /both/ my nappies and my work stuff in it.

I change in the gents if I'm just wet, but I change in the disabled if I'm messy (I vastly prefer changing at home where there's a shower though).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:07 pm 

I have become a master at changing in public... I have a back pack with 3 or 4 extra diapers and a few of the nothshore contoured inserts for long dives. along with travel sizes of powder, Tena wash cream and calmoseptine

for diaper disposal i will use the Doggy bags you get at the dollar store "the one use bag the dog waste in because the diaper disposable bags are too small and the bags i get are black or blue so they conceal the diapers really well when i toss in a public trash.

Saving the world one family at a time, restoring hope though compassion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:10 pm 
Admin

I have double incontinence as well from autonomic dysfunction. I have very poor bladder and about zero bowel control. I suffer from chronic diarrhea that I essentially have no control over. When I soil myself in public, I HAVE to change. I can't stand being in that soil for anytime longer than I have to. I hate to be around other people to smell the odor that comes from my incontinence. I take 3 Nullo tablets per day and I still have a small bit of odor. According to the VA pharmacy, it's not recommended to take any more. So I try to change asap. If that means changing in public, then so be it. I just find a disabled stall and do my business. I'll shower when I get home.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:19 pm 

For approximately the last 30 years, I've worn a diaper 24/7 for urge urinary incontinence. Since I'm otherwise not disabled and lead an active life, I've had to learn to change my diaper in public whenever necessary, although I wear a high-capacity diaper (such as a ComfiDry 24/7 or a Rearz Inspire +) so that I normally need to use only 3 or 4 diapers during a 24 hour period. Over the years, I have become less and less concerned about people noticing that I'm wearing or changing a diaper. In my view, the kind of underwear that I wear is no one else's business but also not something that needs to be concealed any more than any other man's underwear.

Whenever I'm going to be away from home long enough to require a diaper change, I carry one or two spare diapers and some wet wipes in my briefcase or gym bag. I do most of my "public" changes in a toilet stall. I just take off my wet diaper, clean my shaved diaper area with wet wipes, and then roll the diaper up and tape it closed before applying a fresh, dry diaper. At the gym, I remove my wet diaper after a workout and apply a dry diaper in the shower. I do not concern myself about other men seeing me in a diaper on the way to or from the shower. Although many have no doubt seen what I was wearing, no one has ever said anything about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:57 pm 

While I'd never say I'm grateful my incontinence started to get serious while in college, I certainly am grateful that Stony Brook has literally dozens of unisex, single-occupancy restrooms with locking doors. Wherever I am on campus when I start to think I'm at "max capacity", I know there's a safe place to change that's at most one building away.

The real challenge is having to change at work. I'm on the clock for up to nine hours a day, and the only private place to change is the customer restroom, which is supposed to be off-limits to us. I usually take my breaks in my car, and there's always an option of changing in the back seat where the windows are tinted, but it's very uncomfortable and cuts into my much-needed eating time. As a result, I go for night-weight protection when I have to work that long.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:45 am 

I suspect that most people in a public restroom have no idea what is going on when they hear what we would call "diaper changing sounds" coming from a stall. I know that before I, shall we say, became acquainted with adult diapers, I would have had absolutely no idea what those sounds would have been. I probably would have thought the person in the stall had velcro on their clothes or something like that. Same thing goes for carrying a used diaper out of a stall, especially if wrapped up in a bag, my first thought would not have been that it was a diaper that guy was carrying.

It may help you to try to take the average persons view and realize that probably 95+ percent of all people have never even seen an adult diaper, much less heard the sounds one makes, and therefore wouldn't know what they are hearing. In fact I believe that it's pretty much the same thing for someone noticing that you are wearing a diaper. The average persons mind just doesn't automatically go to "Oh, that bulge or white plastic thing above his waistband is a diaper". I could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure that before my diaper experiences I never would have thought that way.

Finally, I think we all have had the same concerns about changing in a public restroom when we were "new' to diapers but as many here have already said it is something that you will (hopefully) get over in time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:22 am 

Hi. I have fairly heavy double incontinence.

Firstly, how do you carry spares with you without making it obvious or do I have to learn to just not care?
I'm an undergraduate uni student. I already carry a backpack because I carry a laptop and several heavy textbooks. I also use it to carry a couple of spare diapers, various supplies, and clothes. That said, I use a very large, out-of-style backpack.

If that's a worry for you, a messenger bag will usually get you through - if you're carrying nothing else and are not in a situation where your diapers might be seen when you open your bag.

I don't think either of these are particularly obvious but you may feel otherwise.

Secondly, where do you change? In a toilet stall in the regular bathrooms or do you use the disabled bathroom? Not every gents toilet has a bin in it and I don't want to have to carry a used wet nappy with me.
I try to change in stalls as much as possible.

That having been said, if I am dealing with full diapers I always change in the disabled bathroom. I need the extra room to clean up without risking getting waste outside of my diaper.

Also, there is no chance I am taking a full diaper even a single step outside the bathroom. With a wet diaper, I can double or triple bag it and it will last a short while so that I can conveniently dispose of it. Not the case with a full diaper.

If you are worried about being obvious, I think it is something that you will ultimately practice out. Nobody cares, and even if somebody hears you changing, they'll probably never figure out who did it.