www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Changing in public
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:35 pm 

I change in a stall, handicapped or other. sometimes leaning up against the wall, sometimes free standing. Once you learn to change without leaning it's actually pretty easy.

Abena has a video on how to do it, bottom of the page here: http://www.abena.com/products/incontine ... /abri-form

Usually when changing in a pubic restroom I have my backpack with me. I'll put the wet diaper in a plastic bag and then put it in my backpack. On the way out of the bathroom I toss it in the trash. Sometimes if I don't have my backpack with me, I just roll it up and tape it closed and carry it out to the garbage. I used to be too embarrassed to do this but I honestly don't care anymore. I wear diapers. So what? I try to keep it as super discreet as possible but if some stranger sees me throwing away an adult diaper, who really cares? I've almost completely gotten over strangers seeing my diaper stuff. I run 2 miles in a gym after work every day and change my diaper in the locker room all the time. I just don't have the time to deal with the embarrassment. No one's ever said anything to me and and I've changed my diaper in a locker room full of people. I've seen other dudes in the locker room walking around with their tiny peckers out, even a dude in a purple thong. If they're not embarrassed, why should I be? Don't get me wrong, here, I"m not an exhibitionist with this, but I refuse to let it stop me from doing things normally. I take a shower after running and I need to put new underwear on after. A diaper is my underwear.

Oddly, it's people I know that I'm most keen on hiding it from. My wife is the only person that knows.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:21 am 

MikeJames wrote:
I change in a stall, handicapped or other. sometimes leaning up against the wall, sometimes free standing. Once you learn to change without leaning it's actually pretty easy.

Abena has a video on how to do it, bottom of the page here: http://www.abena.com/products/incontine ... /abri-form

Usually when changing in a pubic restroom I have my backpack with me. I'll put the wet diaper in a plastic bag and then put it in my backpack. On the way out of the bathroom I toss it in the trash. Sometimes if I don't have my backpack with me, I just roll it up and tape it closed and carry it out to the garbage. I used to be too embarrassed to do this but I honestly don't care anymore. I wear diapers. So what? I try to keep it as super discreet as possible but if some stranger sees me throwing away an adult diaper, who really cares? I've almost completely gotten over strangers seeing my diaper stuff. I run 2 miles in a gym after work every day and change my diaper in the locker room all the time. I just don't have the time to deal with the embarrassment. No one's ever said anything to me and and I've changed my diaper in a locker room full of people. I've seen other dudes in the locker room walking around with their tiny peckers out, even a dude in a purple thong. If they're not embarrassed, why should I be? Don't get me wrong, here, I"m not an exhibitionist with this, but I refuse to let it stop me from doing things normally. I take a shower after running and I need to put new underwear on after. A diaper is my underwear.

Oddly, it's people I know that I'm most keen on hiding it from. My wife is the only person that knows.

I'm nervous that people will look, point and stare when changing in public and I think it'd be a long time before I could change in a gym locker room.
Likewise though, it's my parents and friends I don't want to find out. My wife obviously knows (she also woke in the wet beds and saw the wet trousers before I went the nappy route). My parents though, I'm not sure I want them to find out, although I'm sure they will one day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:18 am 

Hi Drew

You will also get to the point when you will stop worrying about beeing seen changing or even friends and family finding out you have wear diapers.

Millions of us are wearing diapers for medical reasons so odds are you have been in a public bathroom at some point in time while some one else was changing thier diaper and you never noticed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:19 am 

Like Roosevelt said, "the only thing to fear is fear its self". Never let that fear control your life.

I also say never go out of your way to hide or expose your diapers. Diapers are there so you can live your life, not the other way around. Never let something as simple as a diaper dictate your life for you.

Yeah both of these are harder to do than to say, I should know. Seriously though, if someone was to see your diaper and start making rude gestures or disparaging comments to you, then that's clearly harassment if not out right disability discrimination. Stick up for yourself if this happens and make sure they know behavior like that is unacceptable. If they don't stop then you can get them thrown out, fined, or worse if you so choose. The point is you never have to put up with or live in fear of this happening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:58 pm 

Drew81 wrote:

I'm nervous that people will look, point and stare when changing in public and I think it'd be a long time before I could change in a gym locker room.
Likewise though, it's my parents and friends I don't want to find out. My wife obviously knows (she also woke in the wet beds and saw the wet trousers before I went the nappy route). My parents though, I'm not sure I want them to find out, although I'm sure they will one day.

I know how you feel. I was the same way. Like I said, I'd spent ridiculous amounts of time hiding in a stall waiting to make sure no one else was in there. You'll get used to it though. One day you'll just have an epiphany and be like "WTF am I doing in here? I have shit to do" and you blast through your change and be on your way.

They gym thing is different. That took me a while but it's kind of out of necessity. The shower and batrhoom area of my gym is seriously gross. One thing I've learned is that a leak is worse than diaper exposure. If my diaper needs to be changed at the end of a workout then it gets changed. It rather do it in the open near my locker than in the gross bathroom stalls there. The floors are always soaking wet and it's just gross. I find, really, no one looks at you in the gym. I know people see it, but no one cares. And when they see it, more than think "look at that freak/loser wearing diapers" they probably are thinking "poor bastard, that sucks".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:47 pm 

I´m 100% with MikeJames and Brian,

without being exhibitionist I don´t care too much if somebody I don´t know sees the diaper or not. ´Course the gym is different, I remember some scenes happened to me in lockers at work or gym, but, as Brian told, it´s more realistic to think they emphatise with you than laughing of your disabilty. But anyway, if you´re used to it, what does matter the other people´s thoughts? And I know it´s easier to say than to do it, but finally you get used to it (I´m speaking about me, sure, I ain´t in other´s head, but I truly believe that you must manage the problem the best you can. Otherwise it´s paranoid! Always thinking about other´s opinions instead of what´s really important, that´s how you live with it)

For sure that I encourage everybody to be self confident and give everything the importance that really have. And sometimes (more than some) it´s less important than we think. Regards everyone! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:21 pm 

I'll echo the majority here: over time you get used to it. I was also nervous in the beginning. I would wait until absolutely no one was in the restroom before changing. I still prefer to wait to leave the stall till everyone that was in with me at the time I was changing leaves, but I if it's a busy day or I have to get going I walk out and just throw the soiled diaper away.

You will go through stages. You start by worrying everywhere. Then you stop caring in places you will never see those people again (gas stations or rest areas on long drives). Then you stop caring about public rest areas close to home because of the confidence you built further out. And by confidence, I mean the subtle realization that no one cares, notices, or makes a deal of it even if they do.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:21 am 

Thanks all. I had to make my first change in public yesterday when I went to a confrence in London. Thankfully when I came out the bathroom was empty and I managed to throw the soiled nappy in the bin without anyone seeing.
I guess you're right, the more I have to do it the more I won't care who is around.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:21 am 
Admin

I am with Mike and Brian. I carry my diapers, wipes, cream, powder, and a small ziplock bag of gloves in a small backpack. I just keep it in my car when I go out. I also have a change of clothes in my trunk in a plastic grocery bag. When I am wet or soiled, I just find the closest bathroom. I try to find a disabled stall and I use the lean against the wall method. I can change freestanding but prefer not to. I generally do not care who is in there. I go in, change, and leave. It does not bother me to walk out with a soiled diaper in my hands to throw in the trash. I just do my business, and get out. I have too much to do than to worry about what other people think.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:14 pm 

I just pop into a toilet stall and change there. If there's no bin, I wait for a quiet moment and then dispose of the used diaper into the washroom bin When you roll it down tight into a nice bundle, no-one really notices what youäre carrying and throwing away.

For transport: I always carry a backpack anyways with other daily stuff, and just slip the spare diapers and skin cream into an internal compartment. Easy, concealed carry. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next