www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing in public
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:54 am 

Hi all,

Please forgive my potentially dumb question as I'm new to this all.

When you go out and about, how do you deal with nappy pads?
Firstly, how do you carry spares with you without making it obvious or do I have to learn to just not care?
Secondly, where do you change? In a toilet stall in the regular bathrooms or do you use the disabled bathroom? Not every gents toilet has a bin in it and I don't want to have to carry a used wet nappy with me.

So far, I've managed to limit myself to changing either at home or at work (I work on my own). When I've been out, I've changed before going out and when I get home again and it's been fine. But on Friday I have a business trip coming up and I'll be out of the house for around 12 hours+, a bit too long to go without changing.

As I say, sorry for the dumb question. Incontinence has taken me by surprise and I'm having to learn quickly.

Post subject: Re: Changing in public
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:10 pm 

Hi Drew!

We all have different solutions, but I carry two changes of diapers, travel size adult wipes, disposal bags, small amount of extra tape, small tube of barrier cream, and latex gloves in either a small backpack or a military style messenger bag. I think the latter is slightly less conspicuous when going into a public restroom. :D For work, a top-opening briefcase is o.k., just make sure that the compartment with your diapers is closed or put the contents inside an opaque plastic bag.

I would not say that I have learned not to care, but, over time, to have it bother me less.

In my car I keep a more complete "disaster kit" with more of the above - plus a full change of clothing in case I have soiled my outer clothing. I am double incontinent and worry most about a fecal accident. :( There is an extra plastic bag for wet or soiled clothing. I also have a disposable absorbent pad to protect the car seat. This kit does is not often used, but may provide more peace of mind just having it, just in case.

I change wherever I can - a disabled or family bathroom is preferred, otherwise whatever offers the likelihood of a relatively clean stall and at least some minimum privacy. Sometimes we cannot be choosy.

Although immediately disposing of a used nappy is preferred, I always am prepared to carry away a used nappy (carefully sealed in a disposal bag) in my pack for disposal elsewhere.

If you have to change while on-the-go, consider changing earlier rather than later, particularly if you have found an acceptably good place to change.

Drew, we all have been in your shoes. Good luck.

--John

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:16 pm 

Although I would second everything JD wrote above, let me add that having an accurate knowledge of the locations of all of the handicapped/family restrooms on your usual haunts, including a good idea of their likely cleanliness, and keeping a running tally of the time to the nearest one at all times is a useful skill.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:02 pm 

These disposal bags are zip lock and may be useful if you ever need to keep a used pad in your bag. They're a decent size and seem quite good at keeping smells out
http://www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/abe ... =Health%20>%20Inco%20>%20Incontinence%20Accessories%20>%20Nappy%20Bags%20&%20Nappy%20Bins&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwMLDBRDCh_r9sMvQ_88BEiQA6zuAQ3qtA8VBpW21jt6AXlVvJIGwlpWkhegQh-N3dmzkAq0aAoNh8P8HAQ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:05 am 

I have a laptop bag that I use for stuff like that. In it I keep wipes (if neccessary), power, spare diapers, and grocery store bags. If the toilet doesn't have a can, I throw it in the bag and throw it in the trash after I change in the stall. Typically go to a more "remote" bathroom on the campus and take care of it. You stop caring less as you do it more. You kind of just have to push yourself through it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:18 am 

Thanks all for the advice. I'll have a look at putting together a bag of stuff to keep in the car. The last couple of days I've brought spare jeans to work with me just in case, maybe I'll buy a pair just to keep in the car.
I'll also look into how I best manage everything. I might even consider getting a radar key for the disabled bathrooms. Might make life a little easier.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:46 am 

Drew,

I forgot to mention my two "secret weapons" for changing in public restrooms. As the floors often are filthy, I have cut a small square of plastic trash bag and keep it in my bag to put on the floor. I then can sit my bag on the plastic and not the dirty floor.

Even better, to keep your bag completely off the floor, get an over-the-door plastic hook. You can put the hook over the partition wall near the toilet and just hang your bag from the hook. It keeps it off the floor, out of sight, and within convenient reach. :D

--John

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:47 pm 

Practicing at home will help out alot too. I dont know about changing on the rstroom floor even with a mat, but I guess it depends what kind of physical condition you're in. So if you can standing would probably be the way to go, using the wall as a support. I would also recomend timing yourself when changing so when the time comes when you do have to use a public place you are at speed to where you will most likely wont be noticed by others.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:24 am 

I keep a couple of spare diapers in my car. When I need to change at work, restaurant, wherever, I just take the diaper in hand from my car to the nearest stall. Literally, nobody notices or at least doesn't realize what I'm carrying. And yes it helps I've also learned to not care too.

For any kind of outings or half-day long trips I will carry a diaper or two in a small backpack I do not worry about carrying wipes, powder, etc with me. You can easily skip using them for one or two changes with no problem.

Either way, I usually change by leaning against a wall or door. I use the handicapped stall when I can, but there's no reason I can change in a normal stall when I need to. If the place is really a mess then I will change standing up and not lean against anything (like in a porta potty).

When I exit the stall I deposit my used diaper in the trash bin. If there isn't a bin in the restroom at all (which is extremely rare except when I was in Japan), then I keep it in my bag till I can find one (which is never too far).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:20 pm 

I wear adequate protection for my needs. It's something you kind of need to figure out. Northshore Supreme Lites fit the bill for me. "lites" is a misnomer as they're pretty thirsty diapers. They're fairly discreet compared to like an Abena L4 that I wear to bed, but honestly probably hold nearly as much.

I ALWAYS have a few spares on or near me in a backpack. I don't necessarily carry my backpack with me all the time. If I get to a cinema for instance, I would have changed my diaper right before going and would have worn a night time diaper (Abena L4 for me). That way I know I'll make it through the whole movie without having to change and can enjoy a giant soda. At work, I wear my Northshore Supreme Lites. I make sure that the last thing I do before leaving the house in the morning is void in the toilet and put a dry diaper on. I can typically make it to lunch time. I work in a large office tower in downtown Boston and as I don't want co workers to know, I usually go up the street to a Wendy's to change. I just carry my backpack or sometimes even just slip a diaper under my coat and head up there.

Sometime, like on weekends I'm rushing around doing errands. I don't have time to plan everything around my diapers so on those days I just do take my backpack everywhere with me. That way if I find myself in the middle of the mall or grocery store and flood my diaper, I can just slip into the restroom and change it.

It's all kind of a pain in the ass and confusing at first but you figure it out quickly. I remember the first time I tried to change in a public restroom I think I was in the stall for a half hour waiting until no one was in there as I knew someone would know I was diapering if they heard the tapes and plastic. Now I really don't care. they probably DO know, but I have stuff to do....ain't nobody got time be be all embarrassed about changing their diaper.