www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:39 pm 

Hey all,

I was hoping to get some isight from the group about something. Since Derma dry is no longer an option for me due to the comfort issues, I have sampled all the other diapers that medicaid offers through J and B. The two contenders are Attends 8 and the Per Fit brief by first quality. What i like about attends 8 is that it seems to be thiker and more generous padding than prevail.. I think.. not positive.. but the attends is poly baked.. its impossible to take the diaper down to use the toilet without ripping a hole in the back sheet. But they have yet to leave me with a major leak..unlike the per fit. I tried on the per fit.. and liked how they sealed at the legs. and im like, hey these might work.. until i was pointed up and floodeded. Were i not weraing plastic pants over the diaper.. i would have left a huge puddle on the floor. Also, the padding reminds me an AWFUL lot of the cheap walgreens store brand diapers.. I asked the J and b remp and she said that attends 8 is supposed to be better than the Per fit. So.. the choices are.. wear a cheaper quality diaper and be able to take it off to use the toilet.. or wear the better quality diaper and just pretty much plan to use it. Obviously, with bowel movements, this poses a bit of a problem. I have had issues with bowel control sporadically, and i know from experience, if at all possible, i would like to avoid bowel movements in the diaper. So, what do i do? Right now, its not as much a problem since i have 1 1/2 cases worth of Tena ultra and 2 bags of attends breathable..but those wont last forever... and my budget is limited.

Any insight and advie would be appreciated.

Peace out!

Rob

Ps.. Point of clarification: The attends breathable i mention are the old-style extra absorbent.. I found 4 bags at the local pharmacy and bought 2. Since they have been discontinued, I don't know how long the pharmacy will stock them. I don't know if their vendor has some ofthose in back stock.. It does seem that they don't sell them that often.. Because whenever i go in there, theres at least 1 bag..

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:31 am 

Tapes on many diapers don't refasten the way they are designed to work, but I honestly don't think many people refasten diaper tapes anyway and just use the diaper. You need to do what works best for you. I shower and use the toilet in the morning, and again at night and don't worry about what happens to the diaper the rest of the time and just changing when necessary. Wearing vinyl, or some type of protection pants over the diaper helps to prevent diaper sage, odor control, leaks, to include broken diaper tape(s). Not leaking is more important to me, but may not be to others if they are home a lot and don't care some much about leaks. Just use what works best for you and workout a plan how best to manage your incon.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by johnstone on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:50 am 

Rob,

As Johnstone says, don't trust the tapes and always wear plastic pants when out of the house.

Re refastening the tapes, don't. Instead, try reinforcing the tapes with a thin strip of duct tape. To use the toilet just slide the entire diaper down over your hips. You should be able to slide it back up again and it will fit fine.

--John