www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:13 am 

Just seen medical professional about my bladder issues and have been asked to keep a bladder journal. Not sure what this entails as I've never kept one before, but did read online, that you have to write down day/times passed urine, the amount of urine passed, whether you felt the urge to go, and leakage epsiodes, note how much fluid you take on board.
My question is, how do you measure the amount of urine that is passed? Excuse me if this sounds like a dumb question, but I've never kept a diary of this type before. I have another appointment with the nurse practitioner at the end of July, when I will have to present the diary to her. I just hope that she can give me some answers as to why my bladder is behaving in the way it is.I just hope I haven't wasted her time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:28 am 

Are you asking because you can't measure volume in a diaper?

You could do it by weight, but that's a pain in the ass.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:34 pm 

Ask your medical provider if they can give you a plastic "hat" - it's a wide cup with a wide rim that sits on top of the toilet seat. It has measuring lines inside the cup. If you can't get one from your doctor's office, check with a local pharmacy.

Wetters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:34 am 

An ordinary plastic measuring jug woks just as well. I have a 2 litre one that I use

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:03 am 

When I have been asked to keep a bladder journal, I've done the following things:

1. Record the amount and times consumption of water and other fluids.

2. Record time and amount of urine output. I got myself a large plastic measuring cup and peed in that. I also recorded the times at which I peed in my diaper. For the sake of consistency (see below), get a cup with scales for measuring both millilitres and fluid ounces.

Recording the amount of urine in a diaper is a two-step process. First using a good kitchen scale, weight the dry diaper before you put it on. (If you consistently use the same type and brand of diaper, this only needs to be done once.) Then weigh the wet diaper when you take it off. The increased weight is a measure of the amount of urine the diaper contains. It's particularly handy to record these weights in grams. One millilitre of water (or urine) weighs 1 gram. So if you need to buy a scale to record diaper weights, get one that measures grams as well as ounces.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:39 pm 

Technically, urine is denser that pure water, more so the more concentrated it is, but that's a good metric to use anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:38 am 

Thanks guys, gals, for your replies about keeping a bladder journal. I know it must have sounded like a silly question to ask, but I was told to keep one, but not given much information on how to do it. Initially, I was writing in a notebook, what fluids I was drinking, but not the amount, nor how much was coming out. I then, had to go down to the local library and find the relevant information online, which I printed out.
The bladder diary has been going well, and although, I was only told to record three days worth of results, I've continued for another nine days. i am hoping this will be enough information, for the nurse to discover what is going on? I don't quite know what they will do about all of this, but at least I've got things rolling and hope to get some answers soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:12 pm 

That library book gave you better information than I could have provided, even though I've done perhaps four bladder diaries over the years. God luck with your upcoming medical appointments.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:58 am 

Thank you Patrick, for your concern. My next medical appointment isn't until July 30th, so I hope the nurse will have some answers for me, concerning my bladder weakness. In the meantime, I am managing well with using diaper protection and use Attends tape nappies. I find these give me the level of protection I need, so i will continue to use them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:18 am 

Just found out from my health care provider I have a slight prolapse of the bladder, that could be causing the incontinence. Now I am having to do the kegel exerices, which I am finding very difficult. When will I know if these exercises are helping to strengthen my pelvic muscles and would this in turn, fix the prolapse bladder without having to perform surgery.