www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pelvic Floor Exercisers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:57 am 

In several different topics we recently have touched on the use of Kegel exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor and to enhance control for both bladder and bowel incontinence. Kegels, and the related trans-abdominal exercises, certainly have helped me with my sphincter control.

I was trained at a specialty clinic by a female pelvic floor therapist who had me demonstrate my Kegels and trans-abdominal exercises to her while he kept her gloved finger up my bottom to feel whether I was doing them correctly (using the correct sets of muscles). She was totally professional and I needed the feedback, but what an embarrassing experience. :oops:

My bottom doc recently offered me a chance to go back for some more bio-feedback and Kegel therapy and I declined as it seemed duplicative with my prior experience. However, I may reconsider as, although I am doing Kegel exercises, recently I have noticed that I am not doing as well with regard to sphincter control as previously - perhaps just the effects of age. :( Anyway, I am due to see a urologist for the first time and to go back to my bottom doc again and thought I would inquire about the options again.

For home use, several Kegel exercisers (pelvic floor trainers) are on the market. Obviously, some are designed for female use only. Others have dual vaginal and anal sensors. One I have looked at is the PFX2 which comes with either a vaginal or an anal sensor. The idea is to provide some resistance for the sphincter muscles to contract against and to provide some visual feedback to the user. Years ago, Dr. Arthur Kegel, for whom the exercises are named, intended the exercises to be performed against resistance. Obviously, performing the exercises without resistance does provide benefit, but I am wondering whether the use of a Kegel exerciser will provide additional benefit and is worth the time and expense.

Have any of you used a Kegel exerciser? What was your experience with it and did you achieve a beneficial outcome? Any thoughts from anyone?

--John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:57 am 

Over the past three years I have had perhaps twenty pelvic floor physical therapy sessions. I agree, they are indeed embarrassing. But, for me, an additional embarrassment happened when my therapist and her boss cooperated to see that I won a fruit basket during the lottery at the reception which celebrated the opening of their new clinic. The trip is a two-hour drive each way for me, which they understood. I guess it was their way of saying thank you.

But, yes, the medical and physical therapy management of double incontinence is not for the squeamish or the easily embarrassed. And doing Kegels properly is a continuing challenge. My physical therapist prescribed a device which applies a mild(!) shock to the pelvic floor muscles. When she saw what it did to me, she told me to never use it again. Live and learn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:00 pm 

Patrick,

A shock to that portion of the anatomy!? :( That certainly sounds very unpleasant - or worse. I have not heard of this - what kind of device was it?

Lets see, would I voluntarily do 20 pelvic floor therapy sessions for a fruit basket? - probably not! :lol:

Have you used any home pelvic floor exercisers?

--John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:36 pm 

JD,

I do not view pelvic floor physical therapy as a cure; if it retards my deterioration, slows down my loss of control, I'll be all for it. Describing the electrical device which she used to torture me, in such a delicate anatomical location, and in terms which would not get me justly banned from this site, is a challenge. Imagine the wattage used for an electric chair applied to a rectal exam. After she turned the thing off, the staff had to hire a crew to repair the hole my head left in the ceiling.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:53 am 

WOW! :shock:

--John