www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:52 pm 

Hi all,
Today I was looking at all the differnt diaper types and was figuring out hte best soliton to save money and cut costs.. and one thing that I realized is that a diaper like Molicare would probably be the best for fast flooding, since they have the highest acquisition rate.. but when it comes to multiple slow to normal speed voids, best bet would be Confi Dry or a bena, because they have the SAP that can hold a lot of liquid. I think what happened when I wore Molicare that one night was that I was producing a higher volume than usual, and that were i producing a normal volume, and I had a fast flood, maybe molicare would be best. One thing I did notice on XP Medical's website is that Attends actually has a higher acquisiton rate than the otehr diapers do..but of course it has the lowest capactiy. Which means that it is ideal for containing a fast flood, since it can absorb liqiuid faster than Confi dry or Abena can, but if i had several slow floods, then Confi Dry or Abena would come out on top. Am I painting an accurate picture here, or am i way off?

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:09 am 

sg, I'm seriously impressed with your thorough evaluations as to the pros and cons of each diaper brand. I hope I'm not imposing, but would you be willing to discuss with schoppy the possibility of creating a table outlining the properties of the various brands and posting it to the Primer? I don't like to think about it, but I think I'm moving beyond the feasibility of pull-ups and need to consider diaper briefs for both day and night. Today was a very unsettling day for me.

Wetters

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:38 am 

Wetters,
I would be happy to, but you must understand that I'm far from an expert, and the information that I used to come to these conclusions is XP Medical's diaper testing page. I noticed that our copy of his tests is out-of date; he no longer stocks MegaCare Line..and the diapers don't include ConfiDry or Absorbency Plus.

One thing that Ive defnently noticed is that when I have used better quality diapers, I tend to not have rash as often, if ever. Or maybe its the fact I'm drinking more fluids. It could be a combination of the two. I'm also airing out every chance I get.

It seems evident to me that while a diaper with fluff has faster aqusition, it is my exereince that they also tend to feel much wetter. But, if someone has urge incontinence involving a fast gush and operates on a change when wet basis, or uses a barrier cream with every change, that might mitigate that feeling. There is definetly a learing curve involved. on further reflection, I do think that the rash i used to get was probably a result of not drinking enough, because I remember feeling much more uncomfortable In a wet confi dry than I did during the Florida trip..the main difference being that I was drinking more water in FL and I wasn't sitting in it for 2 hours...

I actually did a test where i measured the output of a typical inconinence episode using an improvised container, and i figured that the average "larger flood" for me is 8 oz.. whereas a lesser flood would be 4 oz..and with an understanding friend timed it to about 22 seconds that the urine came out. So, based on that I should be able to use the chart on XP's page to find the aquisiiton rate that I need. I will say that up until now, I RARELY have had any leaks.. and i attribute that to two things.. 1)using top notch extended wear options.. Abena X-Plus, ConfiDry, A+ Tena slip maxi, wellness.. 2) when I wear my Medicaid attends on a day to day basis, I operate on a strict change-when-wet basis.. at most allowing 2 wettings in the diaper before I change. The attends I use are excellent for this, as most of the time, my episodes are moderate to mid moderate in terms of amount voided. Its the rare full-on flood that i need the brief for.. and when I have those it is hard to predict. Now, I can afford to do this, because I get my Attends for free via Medicaid. Were i forced to pay out of pocket for my diapers, I most likely would either be using ConfiDry or cloth... and operating on a changing schedule rather than a change when wet basis. The leaks I have had were with my attends while sitting and when i was testing teh absorbecny of an A+ and i was laying on my side. I don't ever wet at night,but i was testing them out for another incotnience group I belong to, and other members were curious how they performed overnight.

Hope this helps someone..

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II