www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaking while sitting..
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:57 pm 

In order to prepare for this summer, i have been testing the products I currently use trying to find ways to make them able to protect in a sitting position. Finding a solution for this is critical, because this summer I will be working with children closely, so closely that i will be with them at all times in the afternoon, save an hour break. I will be sitting with them at meals, and will not be able to leave the table to use the bathroom in order to avoid setting a bad examlpe (campers are supposed to only use the dining hall bathroom in cases of emergency; Mom suggested that I deal with my incontience by using the bathoom every hour to save from myself from having to buy premium diapers. We had a heated argument about it, finally she conceded. Long ago, I realized that I would not want to let my bladder dictate my life, and if I were to pee on hte hour every hour, I would be doing just that. Besides, there is no guarantee that urinating in the toilet on the hour would make my incontience less prevalent, and I think it might make things worse, because it would lessen my bladder capacity over time. As I mentioned in my previous post about incotnence affecting lifestyle choices, she proposed I move into my old bedroom upstairs, which they will convert into an apartment. I will have my own kitchen, microwave, and furniture. It will be just as I am living now. It seems like a smart move, since my bedroom is 440 square feet and even a 1 bedroom apartment in my building is 330 square feet, and rent costs around 320... my parents said that they would charge me 200.. That seems more than reasonable, and since i soon will not have a permanent job, makes sense. I tried moving out on my own with a fulltime job, it just is not working out. I am not built for overnight work; I'm just not.

But, I digress. The point of the post is that i have tried to make the padding coverage more extensive with my medicaid attends by putting in a booster sideways. Both times i did a sitting "wet test" I leaked.. on my bed i leaked a small amount thorugh t side panels, and on my computer chair i leaked at the legband through the crotch. apparently adding the booster pad compromized the fit aroud the legs. It seems clear that i need a diaper with not only padding in the front, but a much wider crotch to give the urine room to spread.. and i suppose leak guards woudlnt hurt. I suppose it wouldnt hurt to try my medicaid attends one more time with a booster pad in both the front and in the middle core of the diaper..

Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to prevent leaks? I already requested my Medicaid supplier add a waterproof pant to my monthly order. Beyond that, I don't know if there'rs much I can do other htan pad up with a preimium diaper, which I plan on doing anyway. I would appreciate input on what diaper protects best in sitting positions.. thanks so much in advance!

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:23 pm 

Well, Rob, when I needed to wear nappies (diapers) I had the same problem. The answer is to wear waterproof pants but, crucially, some cotton boxers between the nappy and the waterproof pants. These boxers will mop up any small leaks and no one will know anything has happened.

Waterproof pants on their own merely cover wet things stopping anything else touching them and wicking moisture - they don't do anything is there is liquid, hence the cotton boxers.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:23 pm 
Admin

A cloth liner insert down the middle of the disposable may very well help to avoid leaks, worth a try, and a cheap way to solve the issue. They sell them all over the place. Puffy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:58 pm 

Hi

I have recently been in a similar situation I wore the thickest diaper I could get away with. Between the diaper and the waterproof cover/briefs I wore terry briefs that one can purchase online this added in a barrier to prevent diaper chaifing and also absorbed very well any overspill.

I don't know if it is practicable for you to help out in the hall and make an excuse to use the loo to say wash food dirt from your hands etc.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:44 am 

Rob,

A booster sideways will cross over the leak guards and, perhaps, the leg gathers and increase the likelihood of a leak. Place the booster down the middle of the diaper between the leak guards (if any), positioned well forward to increase its efficiency.

Wear the most absorbent diaper you can afford, a good booster (mine add another 18 ounces of absorbency), and plastic pants. Adding a pair of cotton underpants or boxers over the diaper, but under the plastic pants will add some more protection. The terry briefs that Greenbank mentioned would provide even more protection.

--John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:29 pm 

For me, the best solution is to wear a high-capacity diaper that fits snugly around the legs. in my case, that's an Abena M4, but the important things are that the diaper must have a high capacity and fit snugly to prevent leaks. I've tried using inserts in less expensive, lower-capacity diapers but found that wearing a diaper with a high capcity worked much more reliably.