www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:52 am 

Hey all,

As ive mentioned before, I am planning on returning to the special needs camp this summer that i know and love so well. I plan to go despite the incontinence and needing diapers, because I have vowed to not let my bladder stop me from doing what I want to do. The demands of the job will require premium level diapers. My medicaid attends just wont cut it due to lack of front padidng coverage that doesnt protect while sitting, and the fact that they would only contain at most two wettings without being boosted. Frankly, its the lack of padding coverage in the front that concerns me the most rather than the absorbency of the diaper itself, because i know that if i had to push it, i might be able to. But then again, I may not be able to. The summer heat will require me drinking more water.. at least 8 cups. Thus, i will probably be wetting more than I am now. And i would not neccessarily be able to change when wet either due to the demands of my job. This is where premium brands enter the picture. I have made this point before.. and I don't need to rehash what ive written in previous posts. The point is this: ordering the needed supplies would cost quite a bit of money, and my mom feels that me living in my current apartment is too expensive while buying these products. She understands that i still want a place of my own. She and Dad and I have come to an agreement that they would convert my upstairs bedroom into an actual apartment with a kitchenette, sink and furniture. It would be as if i was living in my own apartment still..but the floor space would be much bigger than what I have now. It would cost me at least 100 dollars less per month than what i am paying right now for rent. My question is, does anyone else find that the protection they need, despite also having medicaid cover some supplies, affects their lifestyle choices? In this case, living arrangements? I do like where I am livng now as it is right in town, but it is getting so expesive without a fulltime job..which i did have at one point, but I gave that up due to me not sleeping during the day enough. How do you cope with accepting those lifestyle changes? How does incontience affect your dating relationships?

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:30 am 

I don't know how much it affects my lifestyle. I plan on having a certain amount taken from my pay for a FSA/HSA with my insurance in order to cover the cost of diapers. I suppose if I didn't need that then I would have that extra money for other things like food and stuff.

As far as dating, I don't do that anymore. I haven't dated since I got married 17 years ago. Ha ha.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:25 pm 

msshendo wrote:
I don't know how much it affects my lifestyle. I plan on having a certain amount taken from my pay for a FSA/HSA with my insurance in order to cover the cost of diapers. I suppose if I didn't need that then I would have that extra money for other things like food and stuff.

As far as dating, I don't do that anymore. I haven't dated since I got married 17 years ago. Ha ha.

Neither have I but for a bit longer - nearly 39 years to be exact!

The thing is, Rob, relationships are with a whole persons, 'warts and all' if you like. If anyone doesn't want a relationship with you because of you incontinence or any other reasons, well, frankly, they were not the person for you. I had rather the opposite problem as my incontinence, a symptom of MS turned up some time after my marriage and, as you will gather, my wife was fairly unfazed by such things, even the wheelchair, and we have continued as before, (plus the wheelchair and drainage of course).

So the real thing is that no one is worth bothering about if they don't accept you as a whole person. If they are at all bothered by incontinence, they are not the right person.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:17 pm 

Very well said Wheels.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal