www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:05 pm 

Anyone who has read my posts knows that i am a firm believer that men who have moderate to severe leakage..or even just a dribble are best off in a full fleged tape on brief due to the fact of being able to protect in every situation due to padding coverage. That proved SO true just now.. I was wearing my medicaid-provided attends.. I felt a full bladder.. and was on my way to the to toilet.. and i didnt quite make it.. and I was pointed the wrong way.. was pointed wehre there was no padding.. and the floodgates opened.. and i could hear urine splattering on the floor.. it wasnt a lot.. but I did leak :( after this incident theres now no way im trusting my medicaid attends to protect me at camp during the busy day.. i need a FULL-coverage brief.. I think I can trust Attends breathable extra absorbent, since they seemed to have more padding in the front. By the way.. I had the same issue with Abena Abri-flex.. if i'm pointed the right way.. I didn't have padding in front of the "fire hose"... I really really liked Abena X-Plus's Padding coverage.. they protected even when i was pointed straight up and had a spurt.. looks like they are a condtnder.. Any other males have this issue with leaking due to lack of padding coverage where you are pointed when an episode happens?

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:19 am 

Rob,

Have you tried using a booster pad to get a little extra absorbency, and time between changes, out of the diaper?

I am a heavy wetter and usually wear a ConfiDry 24/7 with a Northshore medium booster pad. I get good "mileage" our of that combination and often can get by on 3 diapers per day. Tranquility also makes good booster pads.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:21 pm 

That is the reason I gave up on using guards.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:40 pm 

JD,

A booster woudlnt help the situation, because it would only boost the already existing padding of the diaper..since the non padded portion is breathable, urine seeps through it.. well, i suppose it's posible that a large bulk of the urine would be absorbed by the booster before it leaked through to the backing and seeped through.. the absorbency of the diaper itself is not the problem.. I have had these same attends contain an entiire flood before without leaking.. but i was pointed down into the diaper..this time I happened to be pointed up.. which, i know they say men should point themeslves down, but honestly.. sometimes you dont have much control over where you are pointed..even if you point it down..it doesnt always STAY pointed down...

Peace out!

Rob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:24 pm 

Rob,

Have you tried external catheters and drainage bag? Get the right combination and they can take big leaks and the only thing that shows is the bulge on the leg when the bag fills. Oh, and no rash with this solution.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:00 pm 

Hey wheels!

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I have mentally considered external catherters before, both conventional ones and the Men's Liberty system.. and pretty much come to the same conclusion every time, namely, while there could be advantages, I don't like the idea of attaching anything to my area down there with adhesive since pulling it off is likely to cause pain, and also, attaching it seems overly complicated and I don't think it would work as well for someone like me who has poor fine motor control. Not to mention the cost of external catheters seems tooutweigh the cost of diapers.. according to the primer of this site, a 10 day supply of supplies costs around 75 dollars..

I really don't see an alternative to diapers that are practical and convenient.. and if i recall correctly, the men's liberty can cost upwards of 70 dollars per apparatus out of pocket.. the actual cost of teh whole thing itself is 700 dollars.. now, I have my dad's Tricare, and medicaid, so perhaps cost is not an issue.. medicaid covers what Tricare doesn't.. but again, it comes back to the poor fine motor control issue. I believe we covered this topiic before in the general discussion forum under "Men's liberty.curious but skeptical..anyone try it?" In that topic you mention diminished nerve sensation in that area, so you can't comment on whether it would cause pain or discomfort.. The poor fine motor contorl is what concerns me most.. It's easy enough to grip a tab, pull it open and attach the diaper, but getting either the external to stick or the mens liberty might take more dexterity than I have. Perhaps i will mention it to my urologist and see what she says. However.. I am more or less content and comfortable using diapers. I live alone, so there's not a whole lot of issue with urine smell or privacy issues.. the aforemeitoned leaking issues don't happen very often.. usally my diapers keep me dry...but, again, thank you for your kind consideration and willingness to help :)

Peace out!

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:42 am 
Admin

External systems are not that much to use, the cath itself needs changing every day, and alternating 2 leg bags/tubing sets allows cleaning and airing out, so it is no where near that cost, more like under $2-3 a day, depending on what cath you use, mine are about $1.50 each, Puffy