www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:44 am 

Hey all,

I have a vacation planned this coming Feb in Florida with my parents.. Some of the time will be spent in the Disney parks, some will not. When i was dealing with incontinence the last time I went down there, I sent a box of stuff i would need with my parents ahead of time.. they spend the winter every year in Florida, and one or both of them work at Disney, which means free admission to the parks for us lucky enough to be their guests :D. Anyway, here's whats up. This time I did NOT send with them a bag of my standard diapers, because I thought that it would be more convinent to be wearing extended wear diapers during the trip.. so I plan to figure out what I want to wear for the time in FL and have them shipped to their address down there. I figure 3 changes per day using extended wear diapers.. for 6 days totaling 18 diapers.. I realized quickly that very few diaper brands would contaiin in 1 package the amount i would need for the whole trip without buying 2 bags. The two that i am considering are ConfiDry24/7, which have 18 to a bag, and Tena Slip Maxi, which have 24 to the bag. Experience has taught me that its always good to have a little extra becuase you never know if a tape might rip off or not stick during applicaiton. Another factor to consider is the Florida heat. Would cloth backed diapers be more comfortable? Also, I have noticed wehn wearing extended wear diapers that when a product is containing at least one or two wettings, its less comfortable to sit in said diaper.. does that make sense? Any way to combat this? Powder, cream etc? What extended wear diaper does the best in terms of keeping hte skin dry? It could be that the dry 24 would do just fine.. i did have it on for a few hours before starting to feel uncomfortable. I'm just wondering how i can keep inconvinenet diaper changes to a minimum and still maintain comfort and skin integrity. Im also considering wellness superio.. of these three, it seems that the tena slip maxi has the more convinent quantity, allowing for extra breathing room.. but i might be giving up some absorbency.. but on the other hand I might not need the absorbency of the Dry 24/7 if i plan to change every 5 hours.. Any and all input would be appreciated.. I guess im the kind of guy who likes to change as often as possible to save my skin without it being too inconvinent..

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:59 am 

Rob, you will have to experiment with barrier cream or no barrier cream as our skin sensitivity is different. I found that a barrier cream with 40% Zinc oxide not only functions as a barrier but also as an antibacterial agent to prevent rashes. It has worked so well for me that I now use it most of the time regardless of the diaper. The exception is when I deliberately am at home and am trying to "dry out" with a breathable diaper.

Re breathable diapers, I was touring on the Amazon River in Brazil and fishing for Piranha (and caught one), wearing a diaper under my shorts. Due to the extreme heat and humidity I wore only breathable diapers. At the time, I was bowel incontinent and not bladder incontinent. Even without peeing in the diaper it was necessary to change the diaper several times a day as it became soaked just from perspiration!

You might read previous forums on the Super Seni Quatro breathable diaper - it will be worth your trouble. It is the best I have ever tried and I am well into my second case of the diaper.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:54 am 

JD,
As always, thanks for the input. Somehow I knew youd be plugging for the Seni Quatro.. indeed, that is one option I was considering..but for a while removed it from consideration, due to the fact that in order to buy enough.. i would have to buy 2 bags.. and also, the only downside to the Quatro that I experienced before was the tapes.. I realize now that if I were to buy seni quatro 2 bags..the cost would be roughly the same as buying 1 bag of Dry 24/7, or Tena Slip Maxi. Perhaps I should give them serious consideration..

Do you have any suggestions for dealing with the sometimes less than perfect quality tapes on the Seni? I have noticed that if i try to take it off to use the toilet, its somewhat difficult.. now, for hte trip, i more or less expect to use the diaper for urination... since that's what ive been doing with extended wear as a general rule.. but, obviously any bowel movements would preferably end up in the toilet... and it was hard to take down the seni to poop without distrubing the tapes.. I know they do have second chace tapes..but I did not find the white hook and loop tape to be nearly as effective as the hook and loop tapes on the Attends or Delta form, or nothshore care brand.

Hey, I just came up with an idea.. I could buy 1 bag of Northshore Care Air supreme, and supplement with one bag of seni quatro.. that would leave me with 25 diapers..more than enough for the trip.. leaving me ample breathing room on quantity, and I as a general rule when wearing extended wear like to have more than one brand option, just in case somehting happens with application with one of hte diapers, i have another as a backup.. that has worked well for me in the past. I remember really liking the Seni Quatro except for the tape design.. and the northshore care brief.. Do you know how the compare in terms of absorbency?

Peace out!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:43 pm 

:D

Ok I will chime in on this as I am ThatFlguy..

February is not all that hot here ( might top 80* for three hours a day ) that being said diapering up would add some heat. One thing to keep in mind is to bring more than you need, all the parks will have storage lockers so take more then you need for the day. And also know that they will search any bag you take in so be ready for that ( they are very professional and see it all daily so it is no big deal). I have done Disney and Universal studios years ago with a Diaper bag so it's not that bad. Another thing is that Florida is the retirement capital of the U.S so there are a lot of medical supplies stores. I know Gary at XP is the cheapest but in a pinch you might want to have a few alternatives in case. Orlando has a few great medical supply stores so do Google search and map them out. Most of all have fun and enjoy our state there is a lot to do in Orlando, if your hitting up Disney check out the animal kingdom. It is awsoeme park.

Develop from the negatives
Take another shot!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:13 pm 

FL Guy,

Thank you, and as I mentioned, my parents work at Disney, and get us in free, so yes, i have been to the all Disney parks MULTIPLE times including Animal Kingdom. roughly 8 or 9 times give or take.. and I've had my bag searched with diapers in it before at Disney, so I know what to expect. Not sure if my parents would be keen on paying for a storage locker.. I just didn't want to have to be a slave to carrying a bag everywherre I go..that does get old after a while.. not to mention ill probably be drinking fluids.. the more i drink, the more pee.. both voluntarily and involuntarily... more so involuntarily it seems..

Peace out!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:52 am 

Rob: One thing that I can add is to be aware of UTIs! I live in a dry climate (southern calif). When I traveled to humid FL and while using plastic backed diapers, I got a nasty UTI. The doc there said it was common for folks that switch from a dry environment to a humid one like FL; and the plastic backing compounded things. Therefore, next time I go to FL I will *only* use breathable diapers.