www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:19 pm 

Hey all,

Just thought id run something by you all.. as I've mentioned several times, this coming summer, i plan to return to the special needs camp I have worked at in the summers past, and I have vowed to NOT NOT NOT let my incontinence stand in the way of that. I realized that i would probably need to utilize extneded weari diapers of the highest caliber, since I would be working 16 hour days.. starting at 7:00 and ending at 9:00 pm, 7 days a week.. I have been considering A+, Abena Delta Form, Abena Abriform, Confidry and Northshore Care as viable options. One thing i realized is that my skin would NOT be happy with me if i went from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm in the same diaper.. no matter how absorbent it was.. would using a barrier offset that? How would I manage odor? Would i need to bite the bullet and plan on changing at 11:00 or 12:00? I think i can, but it would not be in the most discreet of circumstances.. I would still be working in the dishroom... and would be using the kitchen staff bathroom to change. What is the longest anyone here has gone in an extended wear diaper, with ADEQUATE fluid intake without facing the wrath of diaper rash, skin breakdown, and smelling like ammonia? I would really like to know.. thanks in advance!

Peace

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:12 pm 

Hi Soc,
Everyone's body chemistry is different, you need to try these out ahead of time. Call or write to several suppliers and get 2-3 samples of each diaper you are considering. Try them out in a setting where you can comfortably change on a shortened schedule if you need to.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:41 pm 

Good idea tom..

Actually, I can get most samples directly from XP medical.. at a pretty reasonable price too.. i was just looking for various options.. Wet dad, what works for you? How long can you go without changing? Id apprecate specific input from 3 or 4 people about what works for them.. i realize we are all different, but it gives me a rough idea what to try and what to avoid.

Peace out!

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:13 pm 

For me, the Abena L4 is great, but it has clumped quite seriously before 7 hours have transpired, all of it falling between my thighs. Sigh. The new North Shore Care brief seems to be just as absorbent but almost no bunching. Now I haven't put as many miles on the NSC diaper as I have the Abena, only been using them for two weeks, but they appear to be better for me.

In both cases, I can readily go 10 or 11 hours without a change, and as long as I avoid asparagus, no scent is apparent.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:58 am 

Rob: For me, using a Dri24/7 with about 6-7 hours of activity is the most I can go before needing to change. I do make use of a body stocking to keep the diaper from sagging; a sagging diaper will degrade and clump faster than a non-sagger. The only drawback to the body stocking is that it's a bit more challenging to tell if I am nearly full up. So I keep to a known time schedule and change when the time is up; even if I don't "feel" like I have to change.

FYI: While I haven't max'd out a Seni yet, I suspect I can get about the same 6-7 hours; and they are breathable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:14 am 

Thank you both for your input. I suppose perhaps I can go the distance if i have to, if i use the right product and a good barrier cream... after all.. I used a wellness plus a booster going all day.. and was none worse for the wear other than slight odor..

By the way, Delta form is a decent extended wear..but I would put it at the low end of the spectrum.. it holds a decent amount, yet tends to clump quite easily and I think my skin would not be as happy were it not for the barirer cream i applied beforehand.. so.. eh.. I did notice the elastic seperating on the standing leak guards such that you could see the "string" part.. I wasnt to concerned, because i was a half hour away from changing the diaper anyway..

So, while they are probably adequate for my needs while im working at walmart..i probably would not want to use them this summer..due to aformentioned clumping issues..

Peace out!

Rob