www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:56 am 

Hey all..
I'm still coming to terms with a life in diapers.. and incontience.. thinking somedays, hey im not really incontient because sometimes i can pee in the toilet.. and then i feel a spasm.. and start wetting.. and the denial is over... Yesterday I was at a public school.. and changed my diaper on my lunch break in the faculty restroom.. The most akward thing besides the amount of space in the bathroom was that right outside there was a special needs preschool class that ive subbed in before.. and i'm not sure if my peeling back the diaper tapes was audible or not... i came up with the idea of turning on running water.. my guess is the class and teachers were so absorbed in what they were doing that they probably didn't notice.. and htis time I had a plausible reason to be seen carrying a bag into the restroom.. the bag had my bowl and can in soup for lunch.. i was done eating lunch.. so i took the bag with me.. and had to use the bathroom.. It will be trickier at another school I sub at with the faculty restroom inside the teacher's lounge... heh..can you say awkward?? I need to figure out something.because if i stay all day in the same diaper again.. the students might catch a whiff of pee.. and thats not very discreet... Or maybe it was the fact i was wearing wellness... what is the longest time one can stay in a diaper before odor becomes a problem? Advice is appreciated..

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:40 am 
Admin

I guess each brand is a bit different in that regard, but I would not comfortably push it longer then 3-5 hours tops without risking someone catching a whiff (some advertise longer, but have they in reality actually done it to see??? doubt it very much), but that is one of my biggest fears, being "that guy" that smells like pee... lol, sad but true, not really an issue with me, but still the one thing you don't want as a label if you can avoid it! Puffy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:09 pm 

If you have to carry the backpack into the bathroom, a suggestion is just to act confident and own your situation.....if you don't look suspicious then nobody will bat an eyelash......I got caught coming out of a bathroom with a backpack on by a couple of super hot chicks at a family wedding (I had been changing my diaper) I was mortified....but made every attempt to just act normal about it....if you don't make a big deal about it, nobody will ever pick up on it........it's not like they walked in on me changing......I just had a backpack on......I could have ANYTHING in there......I could have been changing my shirt or socks for all they knew.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:49 am 

Rob,

I would venture to say that, If you are adequately hydrated, you should have not problem with urine odor until past four hours. I usually have to go past six, but our body chemistry or diet may differ.

However, I hope that you judiciously avoid those foods that are notorious for causing bad urine odor such as asparagus.

Re plastic pants, I do not recall what you wear. If you really are concerned about odor in a social environment you should wear old-fashioned vinyl plastic pants. They absolutely do not transmit any odor at all. I find PUL pants to be more comfortable, as they are breathable - however they will transmit some odor.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:21 am 

I can easily wear 8-9 hours without smelling of pee. However I do wear plastic pants on top of my diaper.
And the diaper do have odor control, which is mandatory, otherwise, if the diaper didn't have that odor control, I would be the guy who smells of pee.
When I tried out the Abena M4, my wife complained about me smelling, and that was after only one or two hours in....
I have urge incon. so I really can't predict when I have to go - therefore my need of protection. I do however try to stay well hydrated during the day in order to help combat any smell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:55 am 

I too had urine smell issues and I asked advice from my advisor and was told to take vitimin c at regular intivals. It is a pity this sort of advice is not given to us at the outset. Anyway better late than never.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:14 am 

For me it was about 6 months after relying on them whenever I left the house that I started to have at home accidents. Went through a small phase of pull ups at home mostly just to avoid saying I was completely diaper dependent but after a few months of that I gave up completely. I however didn't bother much trying to hold it when I was diapered out of the house. Only warning I got for you is holding it is easier said than done. It requires quite a bit of will power to hold it when you know you are wearing a product that allows you to avoid the uncomfortable urge and toddler pee dance in public. Also, if your bladder still has near normal capacity (400-600ml) you will also have to deal with flood leaks while if you let yourself go at the first urge (200ml) you will almost never have to deal with leaks. Like you I also stared out with its just something to deal with my poor bladder control in public but the dependency does sneak up on you and it is probably irreversible. As for odor, if you are only bladder incontinent I don't think it is that big of a deal. As others said don't skimp on your water intake. Only problems I had with this is night time and morning diaper is pretty stinky but that's because your body goes into a cycle at night to reduce water in your urine. Since it happens in private only at night it is not much of a real problem.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:50 pm 

There are times when I am aware I smell abit but thankfully these are rare. I too have started wearing plastic or vynil pants which do stop any pee smells. Fortunately my wiife who has no problems with my incontinence always discreetly tells me if I am getting a little wiffy.