www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Medical Costs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:24 am 

Holy uncovered treatments, Batman :shock:

I was doing some research for my upcoming urologist appointment and looking at costs. The cost for Myrbetriq would run me about $120-200 a month, so I am going to tell them that that price tag is too hefty. Especially if the results might only save me 1 diaper per day. I use between 2-6 comfidry diapers a day because the fit is perfect for me and I trust them. My clothing also allows me to hide them well. In fancy attire I use tena slip maxi for better stealth. My annual cost for incontinence runs roughly $2,000 a year. let's say I can eliminate 2 diapers from that, that is a gain of $1,152. Even at $100, Myrbetriq does not equal the benefit...

Next, I looked at PTNS, which only 30% of insurances cover. Mine doesn't. That's an average of 12 sessions for 12 weeks at $100-$150 per session.... again, that's assuming it cuts my symptoms in half, I am still not saving money.

Have any of you ever talked to your urologist/doctor about the overall cost? I use premium incontinence briefs. I am sure I could probably do cost cutting there (especially with cloth at home), but I just cannot see how and why someone would go through the costs, the procedures, and the side effects. Yeah, diapers suck, but not that much... I am hoping that my urologist will be satisfied with my desire for no treatment based on costs, risks, and quality of life...

Post subject: Re: Medical Costs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:27 am 

I hear you about the cost of drugs and the limited benefits that they provide. In my case, my insurance covered most of the cost, but the side effects were severe enough that I decided to be happy in diapers.

Please keep in mind that you do not need to "satisfy" your urologist or any other doctor. Doctors are supposed to "satisy" you. not you, them.

Post subject: Re: Medical Costs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:09 pm 

None of the 4 or 5 meds I was on (out of 7-8 meds) that are available) for OAB worked for me. I got all the side effects and no results......I told the docs, "no more meds!!!" In June things got bad enough I ended up in the ER getting a foley.....shortly thereafter I was given the prescription for the foleys from the urologist. Been using catheters (since June) and the diapers (since late February/early March) when the incontinence started making me uncomfortable (having wet spots in my boxer-briefs all the time) diapers and catheters are not a great way to live life for an active, married 33 year old guy......but I guess I don't have much choice if I want to live a somewhat normal life outside the bathroom. So if it was me, I'd go med free and rely on the diapers.....