www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:21 am 

Ah, well.. No product is perfect, right? I was thinkng the wellmess might be the ideal extended wear solution...until today when went into the bathroom to use the toilet/check the diaper.... wehn i went to pull it down.. the backsheet tore! the entire back half of the brief wasnt even there.. Uh oh... well, i got the urge to pee twice within say a half hour, and luckily i went to lunch before i had any leakage episodes..this definetly interuppted my work because otherwise i would have stayed and finished cleaning the back bathrooms and gone to seocond lunch break instead fof first... whcin got me a talking to.. but i explained that i had to do something..they understood....

Yes, i realize by its nature a brief is not really meant to be pulled up and down, its meant to stay on and be used... a pullup is more ideal to pull up and down for toilet use.. The problem is, very few pullups i have found have had adequate padding coverage to be useful for the male anatoomy, wit the possible exeption of depend real fit.. and then theres the problem of sometimes i let loose and pretty much empty my bladder.

Peace out!

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:23 am 

Geek,

Re the Wellness back sheet tearing. Is it possible that you taped the brief too tightly? I tend to tape my diapers snugly to reduce fecal odor and have learned that there is a fine line between snug and too tight.

--John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:59 am 

I deal with something similar at work--urinary incontinence but generally bowel continent. There may be days with bowel frequency and urgency, but everybody must have those sometimes? Especially after eating something disagreeable.

Even under normal circumstances, I will need to remove an extended wear diaper at least 1-3 times per work day to defecate in the toilet. It would be a monetary waste to change into a new diaper, throwing away a barely utilized one, each time this happens. So here are the extended wear options that I've found to be easily removable and re-applicable:

-Abena Abri-Flex 3. These are probably some of the most absorbent pull-ups available and the padding comes up high enough in the front to be useful for a male. If I recall, these also have standing leak guards. The drawback is they can start to sag if wet and this (depending on how the size fits) can cause gaps at the legs, resulting in leaks. They're also more difficult to change in a public stall, compared to something that tapes on.

One of the more ideal choices would be a cloth-covered product with VELCRO tapes. Done properly, this combination is almost infinitely refastenable. Products that are successful at this would be:

-Abena Delta-Form 3
-Tena Super (highest absorbency) or Tena Ultra (lower absorbency), U.S. version
-Tena Stretch, Super or Ultra, again the U.S. product. This one combines the best aspects of a tape-on diaper and pull-up

Avoid: anything with a cloth-like cover that uses adhesive tapes. These seem to barely stick well on the first try. An example of this would be Abena Abri-Form Premium/Air-Plus. They do have the double tape system that should be refastenable, but the results I have had have been sketchy at best.

Diapers with a large plastic landing zone can also be great for refastening, but care must be taken to not touch the adhesive. Just a little bit of finger oil is all that is needed to kill a tape. I like to gently re-adhere the tapes to the tabs they are adhered to from the factory, to ensure they won't catch on anything. I have had good success with:

-Tena Slip Maxi, European version, though the plastic version is being replaced with cloth soon. Hope they do Velcro tapes like on their US version
-Secure/TotalDry X-Plus

Wellness Superio should have a similar taping panel and work about the same in theory, but in practice I haven't used them enough to make that call.

I very rarely have a tape fail. For the occasions that may happen, I carry a small roll of duct tape. A little goes a long way. If I'm using a diaper with a reinforced plastic landing zone--perfect. A short, narrow length of duct tape sticks well and can still be removed if necessary, without destroying the diaper. For quick release, the duct tape can even be torn. A small pair of scissors can be nice to take along as well, but not necessary.

Finally, if cost is a concern, I highly recommend the US Tena Supers, depending on your absorbency requirements. I don't think they will be quite as absorbent as the Wellness Superio and they lack standing leak guards. They can be found on Amazon (Marketplace sellers) for under $40 for a case of 56, shipping included.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:17 pm 

I wear Tena Classic and Attends Breathable diapers. Both are cloth backed and both are super quiet. Tena Classic/super/ultra are all similar (different absorbency) these are super discreet and easy to conceal. The Attends Breathable are thick in the front crotch which is good for a bit more absorbency. They both have easily refastenable tapes. I use the toilet as I can still make it. My problem is the leakage after I think I'm done urinating. So I refasten tapes numerous times while wearing a tape on diaper. I'm using pull-ups/pads at work for ease of using the toilet. Hope this helps.......

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:50 am 

Ender,

Thanks so much for that info! Most of it I more or less knew by experience...and I agree with you.. cloth backed with velcro tabs are quite ideal.. and actually when I first was dealing with incon back in the day (2008 to 2010) I actually got Tena Ultra covered by Medicaid. For me they worked AWESOME. Very few complaints. Unfortunately, they now don't offer them for insurance customers at the company i deal with... I guess a lot does change in 4 years... Oh well.. Right now, I get Attends Breathable.. the less absorbent with smaller tabs variety through insurance.. They are the best I could do given my choices.. Selection had really gone downhill with J and B Medical.. oh well.. Attends in general makes a pretty decent product.. so they are not bad.. I do however prefer the attends breathable extra absorbent that has the wider tapes and more padding coverage..anyway..

I had NO idea that Delta form had VELCRO tabs? I though all Abena products had cloth backing with sticky tape tabs...which as you pointed out, and i thourogly agree with you..DON'T work as well as velcro grip tabs. Thats what i LOVED about tena ultra.. the extra WIDE velcro tabs. I have on the way to me sampes of the Northshore Care brief in both poly and plastic back.. we shall see how they do..

Oh and by the way, today I started the Myrbetriq...and saw no real reduction in symptoms.. honestly.. im not holding my breath when it comes to meds.. never really did get much benefit before....

And one last thing.. i just had ANOTHER wellness brief disintergrate on me. I was wearing one to bed...and while I usually don'nt wet in my sleep.. I have been known to get sudden urges to pee right when I get up in the moring and don't quite make it to the toilet..thus I also wear to bed... The briref had once again.. fallen apart in the back! Did anyone else have this happen to them? Or did i get a defective bag?

John- I'm not sure if i did tape it on too tight... that is a possiblility.. honestly, the medium does seem a bit one small side.. and the large is too big.. maybe wellness is one of those brands that doesnt work as well as otehrs with sizing..i remember having that issue with the origional Dry 24/7...
PB&J..thanks for the input.. i use attends on a regular basis and am overall pleased with them for day to day use... im just looking for something that can be worn for hours and hours at a time without being changed due to my subsitute teaching job.. I'm thinking about Attends extended wear..
Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:05 am 

Sociologygeek,

Wellness definitely runs smaller in size than most other quality diapers.

The Wellness Superio Signature maintains good diaper integrity well beyond six hours, but, for me, often begins to have problems by about nine hours.

Re tapes, I tape fairly snugly for bowel incontinence and never have had the tapes fail. I double-tape diapers that lack a front panel but find that those with a front taping planel, like Wellness, do not need the extra tapes.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:13 am 

I had the same problem with the Wellness brand. And I was taping them the same way I tape every other diaper I wear. I think it was more of a structural integrity issue with the Wellness compared with other diapers.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:36 am 

Count me as well as having that problem. I thought I was in between sizes and got a case of XL. The whole case was like that. Well at least what I used till I gave up and threw them out. That is why I am not a big fan of wellness anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:17 pm 

I contacted Wellness with the issue and returned what was not used for a full refund. They also e-mailed me a return shipping label. I think I insisted on that. I can say they do have good customer service. I just won't use their diapers because of my experience with them. They are useless to me if they break apart like that and I am exposed. There is no containment if the entire diaper rips apart.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal