www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:43 pm 

I go with MSUSpartan on his advice but I have a question as well. How did your doctor come to the diagnosis of Adult Onset Secondary Enuresis? Essentially, this is a diagnosis of exclusion - make sure there is nothing else that could cause the problem and this is what we are left with. What tests have you had done to help the doctor to this conclusion?

Post subject: PROGRESS!!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:49 pm 

I'm glad you guys told me to go back. I returned today and spoke with the doctor. He wanted a urine analysis, and he had me schedule an Ultrasound. I told him everything I could think of, and most of the evidence I was able to provide pointed the doctor in the direction of emotional distress, so he is going to use the aforementioned tests to rule out structure flaws. If it turns out that every wet night IS due to emotional distress, he said he'll have me talk to my psychiatrist about it.

So, to sum it all up, we're actually getting somewhere this time and I thank you guys for telling me to go back!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:58 pm 

wheels5894 wrote:
I go with MSUSpartan on his advice but I have a question as well. How did your doctor come to the diagnosis of Adult Onset Secondary Enuresis? Essentially, this is a diagnosis of exclusion - make sure there is nothing else that could cause the problem and this is what we are left with. What tests have you had done to help the doctor to this conclusion?

From what I've read, and what that one doctor told me, Adult Onset Secondary Enuresis is where you obtain a period of dryness for +6 months but then for some reason start wetting again at an older age, and I have gone 10 years without a wet night, when I resumed wetting at age 15.

That's just it, the doctor who saw me that day was a student doctor and he issued no tests. This time, I saw a different student doctor, AND an actual doctor. The student doctor gathered information, the official doctor walked in, the student doctor shared with him what's going on, and from there, I'm going to get an ultrasound, and he's going to go over a urine sample, all this to rule out structure flaws, like an enlarged prostate, weakened pelvic floor, he's also going to scan my kidneys, so this time, we're actually getting somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:57 pm 

What you are describing may well be attributed to the July Effect. In the month of July there is huge upsurge in medical mistakes, misdiagnosis, and negligent deaths. This is because July is the month that newly graduated medical students begin their intern year, when they are technically doctors but not yet medically licensed.

An appalling number of them don't yet know what they're doing, but have that God complex as a combination of their personality and recent titular award.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:59 am 

Well it just sounds to me that there was a readily accessible and work-free answer and the doctor went for it. There's a whole host of things that can cause the problems from spinal tumors, MS and whole load of other nasty stuff. There's a need to rule out the nasties before going to the easiest solution.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:47 pm 

ianhulett wrote:
wheels5894 wrote:
That's just it, the doctor who saw me that day was a student doctor and he issued no tests.

I probably wouldn't have accepted that diagnosis from a student doctor anyway. I would have asked to see the actual doctor even to start that conversation.

"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise." -
Gore Vidal